West Weald References and Inspiration

ZackG
P:C Legend

West Weald References and Inspiration

Postby ZackG » 04 Jan 2011, 18:08

The West Weald is a sunny, lightly forested region occupying a crescent-shaped arc southwest of the Imperial City, and acting as the northern border for the provinces of Elsweyr and Valenwood. This verdant region is notable for its wide-open and purple-flowered meadows, distinctive red maple trees, and rich agriculture. The West Weald has mainly gray bedrock. Use this area to discuss West Wealds design and post pictures and descriptions of how you think it should look.

ZackG

Re: West Weald References and Inspiration

Postby ZackG » 04 Jan 2011, 18:09

The West Weald was one of my favorite places to visit in Oblivion. I love the red maples and I think they look great against a mostly green backdrop. I don't believe much should change that. In Oblivion they had grey poplars and maples, I dont like how nice they are and I think we should jungly it up a little bit, considering this will be directly south of the Great Forest. Also sharing a border with Valenwood/Elsweyr this region should expect a few strange things the further south you go in it.

My Proposal
Trees-Tall with lite leaves, tall red and green bushes. Thicker towards the north and light towards the south.
Rocks-Medium grey
Plants-Same as Oblivion
Ground-Dark. Possibly black. Itd have to go from a brown to black though on the Gold Coast border

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 07 Jul 2011, 16:29

So the time has come to begin discussion on our next region after the Gold Coast. The West Weald is our best candidate as it shares a border with a provinces that has not yet begun therefore borders should match to us. Mostly I agree with ZackG's proposal for this region. We already have a couple of ground textures that might be perfect for it as well as trees and some new rocks that will work wonderfully. We will need to jungle the more dense parts of the woodland up a bit but with some darker retexed BC vines and moss along with perhaps a few new vine-like plants I think we will manage that easily enough. The tree selection we have is already more jungly than the Oblivion version.

So my rendition of the proposal is:
Trees - Red maples along with other tall thin trees.
Rocks - A bit darker than medium grey
Plants - The tall red and green bushses sound good to me along with the Oblivion container plants, and some vines along with a few new vine-like container plants. A few Appearances from sone eclectic Valenwood and Elsweyr plants along the southern edges would be good as well.
Grass - Purple flowers and some mixed in deep green and some red tinted grasses.
Ground - Deep greens and browns, save black for the Heartlands.

This is Oblivion's West Weald:

Project Coordinator

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 08 Jul 2011, 02:40

Could someone with access to the Oblivion CS give me a rundown on the textures used in the West Weald?
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 08 Jul 2011, 02:48

i'll do it in half an hour. just finishing some RL stuff.

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 29 Feb 2012, 02:57

^^^^^Half an hour later.....

=-)

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 29 Feb 2012, 04:40

haha.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 10 Mar 2012, 23:09

i actually replied in the IRC about this.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 03 Jun 2013, 11:34

I have been asked by Scamp to help putting the assets for the West Weald together.

the only things we have agreed on so far is that it should contain patches of subtropical forest and flowery fields as well as rich agriculture. There should be a dryer subregion bordering Elsweyr and a more rainy subregion towards the great forest. All in all it should be rather idyllic.

I have started to create leafy ground textures for the forest patches already. Most of the ground-textures will have leafy variants.

If there are any thoughts you have regarding the process and the region design, let it be known.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 03 Jun 2013, 12:11

Nothing to add from me, just tell em what rocks you're using as soon as possible so I don't double up with the Colovian Highlands to much. :P

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 03 Jun 2013, 13:26

Yeah, I'll have to sort that out, still.

Muspila, we can talk some more next time on irc, I had to leave rather abruptly.

I guess everyone should keep in mind that flowery fields are a no-go without enabling groundcover. Just like the Northern Gold Coast is only half the region without it.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 03 Jun 2013, 14:01

Scamp wrote:Yeah, I'll have to sort that out, still.

Muspila, we can talk some more next time on irc, I had to leave rather abruptly.

I guess everyone should keep in mind that flowery fields are a no-go without enabling groundcover. Just like the Northern Gold Coast is only half the region without it.

Ya know, by the time we get that out, I dont think ground cover should be too much of a performance issue for a majority of people. My computer I am using now is about 4 years old and it runs most stuff fine still but I am getting a new on in the next few months. Yes, there are people with 5-10 year old computers, but for the most part, I think we should be fine.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SGMonkey
P:C Admin

Postby SGMonkey » 03 Jun 2013, 21:08

The ground cover used with MGE doesn't have an impact on performance at all really. The only downside is that people will NEED to use MGE in order to enable grass.

OpenMW will handle grass much better than MGE btw.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 03 Jun 2013, 21:50

I don't use MGE and our grass works just fine for me...
Project Coordinator

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 03 Jun 2013, 22:09

Yeah it's just not animated. It's not like you need that anyway though

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 03 Jun 2013, 22:13

Nope, not one bit.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 04 Jun 2013, 05:04

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 04 Jun 2013, 06:48

Actually, that looks similiar to spider lillies which grow around me.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 04 Jun 2013, 07:02

Tarius wrote:Actually, that looks similiar to spider lillies which grow around me.

Except they don't sound creepy as fuck.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 04 Jun 2013, 12:26

This one would look like some good concept art for the region in general if it had more trees and flowers and whatnot.

Muspila has also suggested on irc to possibly include little ponds, or even lakes in the region. Not as many that it would look like a swamp, but some here and there to make it look quite idyllic overall.

Next

Return to West Weald