Newly Released: Dongle's Resources

Introductions and generally anything not related to Province Cyrodiil.
Tes96
P:C Reviewer

Re: Newly Released: Dongle's Resources

Postby Tes96 » 19 Oct 2011, 02:31

dirnae wrote:How do they do anything in Morrowind? How do the NPCs take a dump? Does everyone bathe in rivers? Why aren't there any children? How the hell does a ghost fence that my player can jump over keep out the blight which you can see at an even higher level? How do the waterfalls in Vivec work? Why don't vampires drink blood? Why are there no beast-race lame corprus creatures? How do they cook food in Morrowind? Why doesn't my player age? Blaaaaaaah. Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

If they don't want a mill, how about this, it's grinded in High Rock and imported. Good enough. Huh? HUUUUUH!?

OR PEOPLE COULD JUST NOT OVER-ANALYSE SHIT AND ENJOY THE FUCKING GAME!!! DOES THAT SOUND GOOD TO ANYONE!? NO!?! JUST ME!?!? Never mind then. :uhhuh:

Jeez dude, calm down. Those questions are designed to get you to critically think about how things are done in Tamriel if the game were real, which can then be implemented in-game with the right creativity. That's where I come in.

Helena wrote:
Tarius wrote:The real question you should ask is do they even bathe to begin with, or do they do what people in the real world did: the poor went around dirty and the rich simply used perfume.

Not at all true, actually. It's one of these bizarrely persistent myths about the medieval era (leaving aside the fact that Tamriel is not even remotely close to a realistic medieval society). Obviously people didn't bathe as much in the Middle Ages as in modern times, simply because running water wasn't readily available, but they did understand the value of cleanliness. If anything, it's the Renaissance that was the really 'stinky' period.

I agree. The Romans had bath houses for public bathing. And the Imperials I believe are modeled a lot after the Romans. I'm sure they probably would have bath houses in Cyrodiil. The elite or rich would have their own tubs in their homes.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 19 Oct 2011, 04:05

Helena wrote:
Tarius wrote:The real question you should ask is do they even bathe to begin with, or do they do what people in the real world did: the poor went around dirty and the rich simply used perfume.

Not at all true, actually. It's one of these bizarrely persistent myths about the medieval era (leaving aside the fact that Tamriel is not even remotely close to a realistic medieval society). Obviously people didn't bathe as much in the Middle Ages as in modern times, simply because running water wasn't readily available, but they did understand the value of cleanliness. If anything, it's the Renaissance that was the really 'stinky' period.

Ok, I didnt mean they didnt bathe at all. I know that they bathed, but it certainly wasnt regularly.
Let me rephrase that, do they bathe enough to even need a place to begin with?
I do happen to know that there were definitly a few of the more wealthy people who liked to bathe even daily.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 19 Oct 2011, 04:22

Tarius wrote:
Helena wrote:

Ok, I didnt mean they didnt bathe at all. I know that they bathed, but it certainly wasnt regularly.
Let me rephrase that, do they bathe enough to even need a place to begin with?
I do happen to know that there were definitly a few of the more wealthy people who liked to bathe even daily.

One of the reasons people didn't bathe that much back then was because they didn't have electric pumps at a water tower to pump the water to their homes. It's easy to bathe nowadays. But back then, you would have to carry the water from the well or from the river back to your house. And since that was such a pain in the ass, most people didn't even bother. I'm sure I would probably not bathe hardly at all if I lived in a time and world where water was an inconvenience to get to your home.
Although, there is magic in the TES world. But I suppose it's a hard spell to learn to create water or to change the elements in the air into water. You'd probably have to have an Alteration skill level of 2000 or something.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 19 Oct 2011, 12:02

Magic isn't necessarily needed - remember that the Romans, several centuries before the Middle Ages, had fairly sophisticated plumbing systems. Attitudes towards bathing, as well as the technology involved, have varied quite a bit across different times and cultures - e.g. many Eastern cultures of the Middle Ages placed a much higher value on cleanliness and bathing. Here's another article going into more detail on bathing customs in pre-industrial cultures.

Since Cyrodiil is an imaginary society, which only resembles Medieval Europe in a few extremely superficial ways, all bets are off. I tend to imagine the Imperials as having a Roman-style attitude towards bathing, though I freely admit that there's no actual evidence for this in the games (that said, there are mentions of bathing in various in-game books). One thing they do clearly have is a sewerage system, at least in the major cities, which suggests they may have other kinds of plumbing as well.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 23 Oct 2011, 09:14

Tes96 wrote:Why would an elevator be in Vvardenfell, Wollibeebee?
-snip-

Because by scientific calculations of the human mind, and the recorded process of the evolution of both man and man's brain, i can deduct that the Mer (not Man, as they are not quite so far advanced as Mer yet) will have already invented elevators.

DJGamer wrote:From where, Oblivion?

Come to think of it, where DO summoned Skeletons come from?

When a mommy and a daddy skeleton love each other very much...

...then he's sent off to Skeleton College and when he graduates he can finally have the great honor of being summoned by a Mage.

Oh I mean WHERE are they pulled from? Haven't I ever heard of the Skeleton Realm of Oblivion? It's got a College and everything!! :nyansheo:

now this... this is what we should be talking about. this stuffs actually important... unlike spending time arguing about bath tubs and bread making. PEOPLE DON'T CARE GUYS, no one's playing MW, skyrim's just about out.. and we're years and years from a release.

that sounds harsh.. it's still worth thinking about, but going to some sorta skeleton school is way cooler than looking at a bath tb or a windmill for 1.2 seconds when you're really thinking about that skeleton school...

Tes96 wrote:Jeez dude, calm down. Those questions are designed to get you to critically think about how things are done in Tamriel if the game were real, which can then be implemented in-game with the right creativity. That's where I come in.

you're not on the team bro :P need to make a showcase if that's "where you come in" you can only see 1/3 of the forums... haha.

Helena wrote:

I agree. The Romans had bath houses for public bathing. And the Imperials I believe are modeled a lot after the Romans. I'm sure they probably would have bath houses in Cyrodiil. The elite or rich would have their own tubs in their homes.[/quote]
skeleton schools?

dirnae
P:C Modder

Postby dirnae » 23 Oct 2011, 13:20

Bwahaha, that was a joke Tes96. I dub thee, new Stodern.
*DISCLAIMER: If you find anything I say offensive, disregard it as bad humour. Failure to do so will result in pointing and laughing. You have been warned.*

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 23 Oct 2011, 15:00

now this... this is what we should be talking about. this stuffs actually important... unlike spending time arguing about bath tubs and bread making. PEOPLE DON'T CARE GUYS, no one's playing MW, skyrim's just about out.. and we're years and years from a release.

I have thought of this. Morrowind is played by alot of people, but the following isnt widespread compared to something like WOW.
In the end, the reason I do this is because it gives me something to do and because there are people making the game engine from scratch. There are people replacing all the textures and models. There are people like this team that are greatly expanding the game world. Soon, you will be able to download one of the largest games in history for free because the game engine and all the models and textures will have been completely replaced and the game world expanded to many times its original size.
On a side note, I have always wondered exactly how many of the models and textures from the original game have been replaced and are available for download.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

dirnae

Postby dirnae » 23 Oct 2011, 16:31

For projects like ours you could play them without the original game perhaps in the end, but Morrowind itself will never be for free without Bethesda's approval, as the .ESMs belong to them. The writing, dialogue, quests, sounds etc. are all their resources, and not really replaceable.

That said, they'll eventually release it for free, I'm sure.
*DISCLAIMER: If you find anything I say offensive, disregard it as bad humour. Failure to do so will result in pointing and laughing. You have been warned.*

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 23 Oct 2011, 16:56

We aren't years and years from a release Wolli, a full release yes, but we could release Stirk by the end of the year if we pushed, but the beginning of next year is more realistic and allows for us to finish up many small things that won't have to be done later. Really this will be our smallest, yet largest release. Smallest in game world to play, but it will contain so many resources for use over the entire province that it might actually end up being the largest release of new data that we have. Once most of these things are done (plants, ingreds, creatures) then world building itself will progress quickly and interiors will follow shortly, after that it's just down to questing and since we are now organizing that structure more effeciently we might have most of the stories worked out well before they are put into practice so it will only be the implementation of quests and not the creation of them in their entirety. This will greatly speed up the process.
Project Coordinator

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 24 Oct 2011, 20:55

dirnae wrote:Bwahaha, that was a joke Tes96. I dub thee, new Stodern.
Well I guess you got me. Don't know what a Stodern is.
I'm working on a showcase for TESIII: Skyrim at the moment. But I intend to make one for P:C eventually.

The Khan

Postby The Khan » 10 Nov 2011, 02:56

Aren't you aloud to use the same one or do you need to create a new showcase?
Come join the friendly community of Exilian!!! Come and discus Mods, Games and lots more!!!

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 10 Nov 2011, 03:36

The Khan wrote:Aren't you aloud to use the same one or do you need to create a new showcase?

It's not aloud, but it may be allowed. :P

I think that starting over from scratch is optional, unless we ask you to try something entirely different. I think we'd value the ability to take criticism and make appropriate adjustments to your work based on that criticism.

If you're worried you'll need to start a new thread for a new showcase, I'd say no you don't have to. We generally don't close showcase threads until the showcase-maker is promoted to a team member.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 10 Nov 2011, 04:49

DJGamer wrote:
The Khan wrote:Aren't you aloud to use the same one or do you need to create a new showcase?

It's not aloud, but it may be allowed. :P

I think that starting over from scratch is optional, unless we ask you to try something entirely different. I think we'd value the ability to take criticism and make appropriate adjustments to your work based on that criticism.

If you're worried you'll need to start a new thread for a new showcase, I'd say no you don't have to. We generally don't close showcase threads until the showcase-maker is promoted to a team member.

I've been working on my SHOTN showcase since October 15th. It's showing off my skills in interior designing and quest writing; a tiny bit of scripting and a tiny bit of exterior design. It uses only the Bloodmoon expansion.
I think when I make my P:C showcase, it will be from scratch since I'd like it to fit in with Cyrodiil and the Imperial lifestyle, rather than the Nordic lifestyle and atmosphere.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 10 Nov 2011, 05:07

Ya know what would be useful, allowing people to complete a show case that helped add to the mod so the show case work is actually useful.

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 10 Nov 2011, 05:11

Tarius wrote:Ya know what would be useful, allowing people to complete a show case that helped add to the mod so the show case work is actually useful.
I don't understand. You mean assign somebody like me an actual Claim interior cell and see what they come up with? And if it's any good you will use it in the actual P:C mod? :?:

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 10 Nov 2011, 05:18

Tes96 wrote:
Tarius wrote:Ya know what would be useful, allowing people to complete a show case that helped add to the mod so the show case work is actually useful.
I don't understand. You mean assign somebody like me an actual Claim interior cell and see what they come up with? And if it's any good you will use it in the actual P:C mod? :?:

Possibly, but I am not sure how it would be done really.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 10 Nov 2011, 05:20

Not really possible right now, if someone were to build a place to fit a shell in an accepted exterior as their showcase and it passed before that place was claimed then it could be inserted. That is about the only way it would be possible without the potential of being counter-productive.
Project Coordinator

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 10 Nov 2011, 05:25

Tarius wrote:Possibly, but I am not sure how it would be done really.
You'd have to allow the person to download the resources you want them to use and tell them what prefixes to make new objects and tell them the general idea you want for this particular interior cell.
For instance, say there is an Imperial's common home you want to have designed, or an Orc's home, you'd tell the person what it is in general and then let the applicant design it on their own. Of course, it'd be wise for the individual (like me) to see how the other homes or shops or forts or caves have been designed so as to avoid making something that sticks out too much or is too radically different.
I personally love to add a plethora of detail to interior cells and lots of dialogue to NPCs. That would a different flavor from other interior cells.
Any ways, those are my ideas.

The Khan

Postby The Khan » 12 Nov 2011, 08:01

It would be much more fun... I think. But than people could come, do a claim for a showcase, leave, and than you would have to give them credit and if we had lots of people doing that than the credits list would be long like:

You get the idea. Unless you just don't add it if they leave. Do you know what I mean?
Come join the friendly community of Exilian!!! Come and discus Mods, Games and lots more!!!

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 12 Nov 2011, 21:19

Yeah, that makes sense. Tis better to hire permanent staff than to have any ole person do a cell.

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion