Skyrim and Cyrodiil

Public discussion of the Province: Cyrodiil project.
SGMonkey
P:C Admin

Re: Skyrim and Cyrodiil

Postby SGMonkey » 27 Dec 2014, 18:51

@ Scamp, the shotn.project-tamriel.com was just a test site. I haven't changed a thing on the setup of it. It is going to be disabled along with the other sub domains. Very little spam has got through our forums, and a lot less will once It's all up and running.

Also, I got the exact same spam message.

With regards to the style. I think I will keep the wide one over the narrow one. It matches the rest of the forums styles more, and it makes use of space a lot more.

@ Yeti, I had thought about setting up a Project Tamriel wiki a while back. It doesn't take many minutes to get it installed.

EDIT: Aaaaand.... we have a wiki

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 28 Dec 2014, 15:06

Right. The three main styles are now in place, redundant stuff has been removed and cleaned up.
There are a few things I need to fix with the proCyrodiil style that ive been meaning to for a while.

I've removed all mChat related stuff from the styles as I don't plan to install it on the new forums. I think it detracts from the forum, and very few people use it.

You can go to the portal and select the styles to preview them and whatnot. If you notice any massive problems, then let me know here.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 29 Dec 2014, 01:50

Wonderful progress. Now that we have the wiki, how do we want to set it up? Separate sections for each project? I suppose imitating the style and subsections of UESPWiki would make things easier.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 29 Dec 2014, 13:52

Infragris wrote:I suppose imitating the style and subsections of UESPWiki would make things easier.

I agree. Let's move along something we all know and can look at for reference.

So when are we actually going to move to the new site? Is there anything special in the way yet, apart from the usergroups that need setting up?

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 30 Dec 2014, 23:02

Nothing really in the way at the minute. All the active styles are up to date and fully functional.

I do want to sort out a couple of little things. Mainly the image resizing. I don't want to have to use the highslide plugin for images. People found it confusing and whatnot. So, I'm gonna implement auto image scaling so it doesn't break the forums, using the standard img tags.

We could start moving to the new site now, but we really need an idea of what groups we need.

What groups do we need, who should be able to view where, who should be able to create topics where. All that jazz. Im open for suggestions.
Not had a chance to get it all set up yet, internet is very hit and miss where I am at the minute.

There are a few fields I'd like to add to the registration to prevent bots signing up. I need to add a few more forums and such, namely in the claims section.

ALSO.... I'd like to get a good welcome message written up to explain the intent of the project. So, if someone wouldnt mind working on that, that would be very much appreciated. :)

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 31 Dec 2014, 02:39

What groups do we need, who should be able to view where, who should be able to create topics where. All that jazz. Im open for suggestions.

My suggestion:
One Modder/Developer - group for all projects that you can enter via a promoted showcase.
A group for each project allowing you to view and post in the respective internal forum.
A group for each project to perform moderator-functions within it. You need to be of this group to create threads in the claim section of the project.

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2015, 17:01

OK, got a few minutes to start work on groups and permissions.

I need to know who should be able to download attachments and from what areas.

For example, should guests be able to download attachments in the claims section? Or anywhere for that matter.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 02 Jan 2015, 17:48

no, guests should be able to download from wherever showcases are and that should be the area where all publicly available data is located as well. So public releases and showcases should be in the same forum section.
Project Coordinator

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 02 Jan 2015, 18:16

One thing I think we should do different: right now, region planning is divided in subforums named after the geographical regions: Blackwoods, Colovian Highlands, Gold Coast, etc. Wouldn't it make more sense to divide these based on prospective release maps or county borders? This hasn't come up yet because our current release map coincides with the region border, but I think it will quickly become tiresome to discuss Kvatch-area issues in three different places. Besides, there's been talk of adding new regions or sub-regions, moving the borders of regions, and personally I am even questioning the names of some of the existing ones - it's not an area of the mod that should be set in stone, so to speak.

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2015, 18:22

SamirA wrote:no, guests should be able to download from wherever showcases are and that should be the area where all publicly available data is located as well. So public releases and showcases should be in the same forum section.

Showcases and Public releases will have their own forum. Its not hard to apply the permissions to both areas. I don't see any reason why showcase and public download sections should be the same forum.

Infragris wrote:One thing I think we should do different: right now, region planning is divided in subforums named after the geographical regions.....

I agree really. I've not had any real involvement with the planning of P:C, but I find this way of organising things a bit cumbersome and just awkward in general. I only ever did it this way to keep it like it was on the original P:C forum.

I am all for changing it about. Open to suggestions on that.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Jan 2015, 18:46

It just seemed like you were looking for the simplest solution. I'm just letting you know that is the only places guests or even just registered users should be able to download anything.
Project Coordinator

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Jan 2015, 18:46

Also I agree with the Infragris changes. Those divisions are relics of the DJgamer run forum I never bothered to change.
Project Coordinator

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 02 Jan 2015, 19:27

SGMonkey wrote:I am all for changing it about. Open to suggestions on that.

Right-o. Looking at the map, we could do something like this, based on release areas:
  • Stirk & Abecean Sea
  • Anvil (Southern Gold Coast)
  • Sutch (Northern Gold Coast)
  • Kvatch
  • Chorrol
  • Skingrad
  • Bruma
  • Cheydinhal
  • Mir Corrup
  • Bravil
  • Lleyawiin & Topal Bay
  • The Imperial City
Ranked in likely order of appearance, keeping in mind that we will be giving priority to areas close to Skyrim and Morrowind. It's likely that these areas will be cut up or released in mutliple slices, but discussion should still be centralized.

Alternatively, there might be some value in locking off or minimizing discussion for certain areas: we could bundle up everything from Cheydinhal to the IC into one "Nibenay" category, for example, to unlock when the time is right. There's little value in those discussions if work elsewhere is floundering.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Jan 2015, 19:37

I agree.
Project Coordinator

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2015, 20:15

OK. I have activated user registration. Forum permissions are far from complete, internet here is too finicky to to do anything proper at the minute.

Get posting in the site suggestions area. I will eventually add people to the proper groups as soon as I can.

Cheers guys

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 04 Jan 2015, 20:12

I'm going to start transferring data from Lore & Literature now that things are up and running. I suggest everyone who wants to start copying things stake his claim here, to avoid confusion.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 04 Jan 2015, 20:56

Hey infragris, feel free to make any changes to our overall lore timeline well. You are the keeper of lore here.
Project Coordinator

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 04 Jan 2015, 22:40

Way ahead of you there. First part of the timeline is already up and running.

The new forums don't have those collapsible spoiler tags, I've noticed. Pity, they really helped navigate some of the more convoluted posts. Well, with the wiki we may be able to make that data more accessible.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 04 Jan 2015, 23:48

I have posted Skyrim-Data on the internal section of SHOTN. I would do the same thing with P:C, but I'm not sure, if SamirA should rather do so. His position fits better for that. Honestly, I don't want to feel in charge of PC_Data. I can keep doing the updates as long as needed, though.

I'm going to transfer our modelling claims over there, as soon as the claiming subforum is in a finished state.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 05 Jan 2015, 02:37

Infragris wrote:Way ahead of you there. First part of the timeline is already up and running.

The new forums don't have those collapsible spoiler tags, I've noticed. Pity, they really helped navigate some of the more convoluted posts. Well, with the wiki we may be able to make that data more accessible.

That is probably the best way to make use of the timeline anyway. The wiki.
Project Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to P:C Public Discussion