Gold Coast Exterior: Q6-7 + P6-7 + O6-7 [Praedator] [Anvil]

Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Re: Gold Coast Exterior: Q6-7 + P6-7 + O6-7 [Praedator] [Anv

Postby Praedator » 24 Jul 2014, 19:34

Don't know about the buildings yet, but yes most probably as I tend to maximise the use of all available materials.

Wollis version had about 100 buildings and he didn't clutter half the area yet, I will use many add-on buildings and space them in most parts, with boulevards and docks, so I will stay at a reasonable number. That said Stirk has about 50 ints, so I imagine to go well over that.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 25 Jul 2014, 00:39

Give us a map.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 25 Jul 2014, 08:36

Tarius wrote:Give us a map.

Give me some time to make the concept map when I am done making the outlines in the CS!

This is my layout: http://provincecyrodiil.project-tamriel.com/viewtopic.php?f=219&t=344

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 25 Jul 2014, 23:50

Not sure I particularly like that concept, but have at it.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 26 Jul 2014, 15:06

Is there any other guild than TG, MG, FG and IC planned in Anvil?

I also have room for EEC or similar, IL and more trading factions.

MoonAndStar

Postby MoonAndStar » 26 Jul 2014, 16:20

I think the headquarters of the Imperial navy are here. Not sure if that will end up being part of the IL questline though.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 26 Jul 2014, 17:31

If you have ideas for any minor trading factions you could go ahead and design places for them. Everything we come up with doesn't have to have a huge story or purpose, they just add flavor.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 26 Jul 2014, 20:09

I assume the thieves guild is going to be in the sewers or in a particularly oppulent tavern as Anvil is the headquarter of the thieves guild? Someone said so at least.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 26 Jul 2014, 20:14

Worsas wrote:I assume the thieves guild is going to be in the sewers or in a particularly oppulent tavern as Anvil is the headquarter of the thieves guild? Someone said so at least.

And it was in Oblivion too I believe.

sasquatch
P:C Modder

Postby sasquatch » 26 Jul 2014, 20:18

In Wolli's version there was a network of boardwalks and canals throughout the city. I liked that part of his design. Creating multiple levels, one below and above street level would make things interesting. The thieves guild could have an alternate way to travel the under the city streets, both here on the exterior and in attached sewer.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 27 Jul 2014, 11:03

Someone (I believe it was Helena) wanted Anvil to be the HQ of the EEC. Personally I was never a great fan of that idea. There could be a small/medium depot as it's probably easier for ships from Skyrim and northern Morrowind to sail to Anvil than to Leyawiin/Imperial City.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 27 Jul 2014, 17:56

A WiP shot in CS. Stll needs work on poor quarter, graveyard and park, then the castle.

Attachments
TES Construction Set 2014-07-27 16-24-36-46.jpg

Griff

Postby Griff » 27 Jul 2014, 21:37

It be nice to see a few houses out side of the walls.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 27 Jul 2014, 23:07

Griff wrote:It be nice to see a few houses out side of the walls.

This. I dont feel like the number of house away from the shore is "thick" enough. Towards the very top of the picture, I think a few buildings right around the road would be a good thing.

In a reference to Oblivion, we could have an animal attack quest with Penarius in it. This time it would make alot more sense seeing as how the city walls wouldnt be between the animals and the basement.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 28 Jul 2014, 04:09

You move so quickly when you put your mind to something Prae. Always impressive.
Project Coordinator

sasquatch

Postby sasquatch » 28 Jul 2014, 15:14

I like it so far. The harbor layout can be improved though. Large tallships would not typically enter harbor instead they would anchor further out and smaller ship would transport goods and people. Sailing ships of most sizes would have hard time maneuvering in such tight spaces. If they were to dock it would only be in fairly open area inline with the dock.

Here are notes on tallships and harbor:
http://ask.metafilter.com/45303/How-did ... m-the-pier

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 28 Jul 2014, 17:17

That could be a dry-dock where they were built/repaired possibly.
Project Coordinator

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 28 Jul 2014, 19:19

I have made an overview and designations link here: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/9e7jzvh6kg27zzz/AACmudzSRqkxVuksjhLhtqWca

Note that the city has been kept to a minimal 'believable' size, mainly due its huge harbour, that depicted the outline of the city, still a little thinspread at the maingate, but I thought this many ints should be enough.

I could add a few ints just outside the city wall, then there is another undesignated interior Tower at the SW end wall ending. That should be all.

Glad to hear your opinions, if nothing drastic needs happening I will start detailing.
Attachments
PC_Anvil overview, int designation.jpg

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 28 Jul 2014, 19:34

sasquatch wrote:I like it so far. The harbor layout can be improved though. Large tallships would not typically enter harbor instead they would anchor further out and smaller ship would transport goods and people. Sailing ships of most sizes would have hard time maneuvering in such tight spaces. If they were to dock it would only be in fairly open area inline with the dock.

Here are notes on tallships and harbor:
http://ask.metafilter.com/45303/How-did ... m-the-pier

The warships are docked for repair and inspection, many others are out on duty, also I could remove one to have an empty dock, but that is much less appealing.

Also if the docks get bigger, so does the surrounding city, which already is quite big as it is. I have build the city to match the harbour, not other way around. Look at the island I made for the castle, its quite small for a grand castle Anvil deserves.

sasquatch

Postby sasquatch » 28 Jul 2014, 21:20

I don't think the city needs to be very big. What makes the location unique should be emphasized (massive). Anvil is one of few port cities an it is on the coast, it is a major trading port and according to lore it attracts traffic from Skyrim. Anvil needs all the things a major port city would have; storehouses and trade houses, a large area for import/export by land and sea with required wagons and carts, taverns, hotels, brothel, shipyard etc.

It is also important because of the nature of the city that we have distinct districts here tht show wealth and poverty, permanence and transience. I think this should also be done on a reasonable scale. Again port city should be emphasized with services and featured required to host a massive amount of trade and ships. That means dirty areas of cheap entertainment drink short term housing and crime. Dock workers and porters and sailors would frequent these areas. While merchants and others who profit from wealth are sheltered from harsher parts of daily life and commerce.

More on the docks and ships. I think only 1 warship should be in port and it should be for good reason. Something being repaired or loaded that couldn't be done in the water. Another 2 could be anchored outside port in view of the shore and seen from viewpoint at castle. One point of the previous link was to show that ship don't dock like that without an extreme amount of effort. They can't be parked like a diesel powered boat. Smaller ships are used to move cargo and shuttle crew to port.

A space where ships can be constructed or repaired is a must have even if it is a completed ship model on skids proper up with boards. It would show this as a central port city an a place of power.
This site shows a few pictures of tradition ship construction:http://ask.metafilter.com/45303/How-did-massive-ships-embark-from-the-pier

I think more time needs to be devoted to planning the city before things get finalized.

PreviousNext

Return to Claimed