Sutch: The Kali Mes

Quests given by people in the Cold Coast Region.
DJGamer
Mad God

Sutch: The Kali Mes

Postby DJGamer » 27 May 2013, 18:31

The Kali Mes (Kal-ee Mez)

Description: Once a proud and widespread clan in Hammerfell, the emergence of the Theives' Guild and Dark Brotherhood eventually drove them out from their homeland and into the recently established city of Sutch. They took advantage of its jointly-governed state between Cyrodiil and Hammerfell to avoid being dealt with by the laws of either side. They also quickly established connections within the law enforcement and governments to further cement their control.

Recently there have been discussions regarding Sutch being integrated fully into a single province. The current leadership seems content to have the city continue in its present state, but certain individuals would prefer otherwise.

Word Origins: Derived from Swahili for Sharp and Afrikaans for Knife.

Ranks

Tatu-Jumbei (Tatoo-Jume-bay)

Description: These are the main leaders of the Kali Mes, part of an hierarchical system intended to represent simplicity, balance and equality. Each member of this group plays a role considered (at least in theory) to be of equal importance to the others. Any member of the Tatu-Jumbei can be voted out via a sort of "recall election", which will be described in more detail later on.

Word Origins: Tatu is the Swahili word for "three", and Jumbe is the word for boss, making them the "Three Bosses". The "i" added at the end is meant to indicate a sound similar to the Japanese "ei", which makes a long "a" sound.

Ra-Jumbei (Rah-Jume-bay) [Upper Boss]: Irgolann

Description: The Ra-Jumbei generaly concerns himself with larger decision which will affect the clan in the long-term. In some ways, this is considered to be the most prestigious of the three positions as it allows for a fair amount of down-time to enjoy the benefits of it.

Word Origins: Derived from Jumbe, Swahili for boss, chief or leader, the "ei" added to make it sound more interesting. The "Ra" is taken from official Yoku and means "great".

Shauriaad (Shay-ur-ee-aide) [Consigliere, Advisor]: Lairah Hawker

Description: The only position in the Tatu-Jumbei at present to be held by women, though it has been occasionally held by a man. It is also the only position to have become held by a non-Redguard since the election of Lairah Hawker, a Dunmer whom was adopted and named by Redguards after her mother died in childbirth (her father had also died prior to her birth). The Shauriaad acts as an adviser to both of the other Tatu-Jumbei and on occasion as a mediator when an issue arises which can equally affect both the long and short-term operations of the Kali Mes. She also frequently speaks with the Bwanei and Askaris to keep up-to-date with their needs.

Word Origins: This word is derived from an amalgamation of the Swahili and Afrikaans words for "Adivce" or "Counsel". Shauri is Swahili, and for some reason it can also mean design, diagram, plan orplane (according to FreeDict.com-however the first two definitions listed are advice and counsel). "Raad" is from Afrikaans and has a similar meaning, only without the extra strange ones. I felt Shauri felt a little short and that combining the two words into one was relatively easy and had a nice look and sound to it.

Onder-Jumbei (Oon-dar-Jume-bay) [Under Boss]: Torlin

Description: The Onder-Jumbei is primarily tasked in dealing with decisions regarding the day-to-day and short-term operations of the Kali Mes.

Word Origins: Again derived from Swhali for boss. "Onder" comes from Arikaans and obviously means "Under".

Bwanei (Bwahn-ay)

Description: The upper rank of the Kali Mes, they act as leaders to the Askari, and help coordinate individual operations. They are also allowed to vote Tatu-Jumbei in or out of office.

Word Origins: Derived from Bwana, a Swahili word that can mean boss or master. The "ei" sound was added to emphasize how they are to some extent equals with the Tatu-Jumbei.

Askari (Ask-are-ee)

Description: The soldier-rank of the Kali Mes and the most common. They do the bulk of the work for the clan.

Word Origins: Derived from Swahili for "pawn" or "solider".

Tobr'a (Taw-ber-uh)

Description: Yoku for "useless and therefore evil". It is used primarily for individuals who are working for the Kali Mes but are not part of it. For example, corrupt politicians or members of the guard being paid off by the Kali Mes would be considered Tobr'a. The term is obviously used in a derogatory fashion, while they are technically "useful" to the Kali Mes, they are not considered to be particularly trustworthy or honorable. "A man you can bribe is a man you cannot trust," is a common saying amongst it the clan and it certainly applies to people such as these.

Hierarchy Origins: Based upon the structure of the mafia but adapted to better fit with Redguard philosophies. The basic ranks are essentially the same but their roles are a bit different. There's also a general idea that every member has relatively equal value, though this may apply more in theory than in practice.

The Recall Election

If a certain number of Bwanei have a problem with decision(s) that a member of the Tatu-Jumbei has made, word will spread amongst the ranks. Usually, the member of the Tatu-Jumbei will be confronted about the issue(s) first, with the Shauriaad being called in the mediate (unless of course the Shauriaad is the one the Bwanei have issues with). If that fails, a meeting of the Bwanei will be called to further discuss them matter.

The meeting is by far the most formal aspect of the process. They start with a period of debate (often given a time limit) and finish with a vote. I haven't quite decided at this point whether removal from office will require a simple majority vote or if there should be a requirement for how much of a majority (i.e. it needs to be at least two-thirds of those attending). Either way if they decide to vote him out the process begins to elect a replacement.

Depending on which one of the Tatu-Jumbei is voted out, the remaining members will temporarily take on different aspects of the missing member's role. Typically, no more than one Tatu-Jumbei member is voted out at a time.

Candidates can range from volunteers to individuals chosen by a number of Bwanei for qualities suited to the position. The campaign period usually lasts no longer than a few weeks to a couple months before an official vote is made.

The most recent occurrence of such a recall was with the former Onder-Jumbei, Jismsnn, whom had his rank reduced all the way to Askari. The reasons for this occurrence have yet to be worked-out.

The Kali-Mes Questline

There are a few details to be worked out but here's some basic things:

• Lairah Hawker is after the position of Ra-Jumbei as she is in conflict with Torlin over whether Sutch should be integrated into Hammerfell. He believes in maintaining the status quo while she believes it would provide them with an opportunity to begin re-expanding into Hammerfell to begin restoring their former glory.
  • Jismnn may factor into Lairah's plans somehow, or may have even been voted out to begin with as part of an earlier stage of her plans.
  • There is a series of underground caverns rumored to connect with Rihad which are currently occupied by a group of vampires. There is also a cave-in which would need to be cleared over time. There could also be a special mod which would allow it to be cleared if a Hammerfell mod is developed. Lairah might send the player to clear the vampires out as a quest.

Even these details are of course tentative and subject to further discussion.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Sutch: The Kali Mes

Postby SamirA » 27 May 2013, 19:05

To be honest this is not the proper home for this either outside of the last paragraph. It fits the lore forums much better.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 27 May 2013, 19:07

SamirA wrote:To be honest this is not the proper home for this either outside of the last paragraph. It fits the lore forums much better.

Are the lore forums public, though? This isn't exactly some super-secret thing but there may at least be details we discuss that we wouldn't want to spoil. I'd also like to keep the details of how the Kali Mes works centralized-it would be helpful to have these details since the way they are structured would be at least somewhat helpful to know when coming up with details for the questline and such.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 27 May 2013, 21:59

I would say some of this detail would actually go in the game explaining things for anyone who wants to know about it.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 27 May 2013, 22:16

Again, that is still in the Lore and Literature forum though as I imagine that sort of thing would be in a book rather than spoken through much dialogue.
Project Coordinator

Return to Gold Coast