Morrowind Pseudo Bump Mapping

Helpful tutorials for doing various things, mostly mod-related.
Tarius
Head of Modelling

Morrowind Pseudo Bump Mapping

Postby Tarius » 08 May 2012, 21:32

Ok, this is how to add bump mapping to MW models. Please note that this is best on surfaces that could be damp or wet, or otherwise should be glossy. Using it on surfaces that are supposed to be dull is not recomended as the effect of using the bump mapping here always ends up with something that looks at least semi gloss like.

You can add bump map within a seconds in Nifscope. Morrowind doesn't support true bump maps, only pseudo ones, so you'll need the bump map texture and environment map texture, which will simulate the effect.

1. Open mesh in Nifscope
2. Locate NiTriShape containing the desired part of the mesh
2. Right click on NitexturingProperty -> Texture -> Add Bump Map (here goes bump map texture)
3. Right click on the NiNode containing this NiTriShape -> Node -> Attach Node -> NiTextureEffect (here goes the environment map texture)

Notes:
- left click on the NitexturingProperty, then take a look at the Block Details window. Filter mode parameter in Bump Map Texture section should be set to FILTER_TRILERP;
- a bit down Bump Map Luma Scale and Bump Map Luma Offset parameters are normally set to 1.0000, but you can play with them.
Below is the attached image showing the Block Details.
Attachments
bumpmap1.png
Block Detail
bumpmap1.png (59.47 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Revenant
P:C Legend

Re: Morrowind Pseudo Bump Mapping

Postby Revenant » 11 May 2012, 13:40

Thanks for this, Tarius.

Seelad
Pleb

Postby Seelad » 27 Jul 2012, 03:34

I know this is a bit old of a thread, but thanks for posting this. You said it would add a bit of gloss, when I attempted it, my object (Was a sword) turned completely white. I'm assuming this has something to do with my environment map though.

Anyways I couldn't really find anything related to Morrowind and bump maps so I'm glad you posted this!

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 27 Jul 2012, 07:07

Seelad wrote:I know this is a bit old of a thread, but thanks for posting this. You said it would add a bit of gloss, when I attempted it, my object (Was a sword) turned completely white. I'm assuming this has something to do with my environment map though.

Anyways I couldn't really find anything related to Morrowind and bump maps so I'm glad you posted this!

This is one of three things.

1. Texture was applied wrong, but assuming you did it even part right, unlikely.
2. Mapping is way too strong. When the environmental texture is used, it should be subtle, not brigth at all, or you will get very harsh colors.
3. Your video card needs updated drivers or it doesnt work well to begin with. Before I updated my drivers, I used to get blocky whitish stuff instead of the proper looking texture.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 28 May 2013, 02:40

I am going to have to update this at some point, the picture died...

SGMonkey
P:C Admin

Postby SGMonkey » 31 May 2013, 17:15

And heres me removing this effect from all the mods i download...

Broken bump mapping does not work. Bump mapping isnt intended to make things glossy like it does in MW. Its to add detail.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 31 May 2013, 17:25

SGMonkey wrote:And heres me removing this effect from all the mods i download...

Broken bump mapping does not work. Bump mapping isnt intended to make things glossy like it does in MW. Its to add detail.

Indeed. The only thing I have added it to so far is the yellow center of the giant white lilly I made.
Hopefully it doesnt take long for it to work properly in OpenMW.

As long as your video card drivers work right, the effect should be a subtle shininess (as opposed to when inedidnt work right it was massive blocky shininess) which is ok and does yield a nice bump effect. The real thing is better though.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 01 Jun 2013, 16:27

SGMonkey wrote:And heres me removing this effect from all the mods i download...

Like the tutorial itself mentions, bump-mapping is most effective for something that's meant to look "wet" or otherwise shiny. I recall retexturing a modder resource sewer set using bump-mapping, and even then it was only semi-appropriate as an effect.

I think OpenMW will work well if they use something like Oblivion's way of handling normal maps, which I presume is to search for identical file names with an "_n" at the end and apply them automatically. Probably not the most efficient way to handle it, but better than having to create a bunch of alternate meshes with normal maps applied to them.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 02 Jun 2013, 01:20

I use bump maps for shiny/polished metal, and that's about it. I think when they're used sparingly, the effect can be quite nice.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 02 Jun 2013, 02:03

Saint_Jiub wrote:I use bump maps for shiny/polished metal, and that's about it. I think when they're used sparingly, the effect can be quite nice.

Ya know, I wonder if there is a way to invert the shine from the bump maps. Instead of showing a shine, it would show shadows(ie, black instead of white), more like it was supposed to. Considering the technique has been around a while, I would say someone has probably tried, but you never know.

Mwgek
P:C Reviewer

Postby Mwgek » 02 Jun 2013, 12:28

SGMonkey
P:C Admin

Postby SGMonkey » 03 Jun 2013, 22:34

DJGamer wrote:Like the tutorial itself mentions, bump-mapping is most effective for something that's meant to look "wet" or otherwise shiny. I recall retexturing a modder resource sewer set using bump-mapping, and even then it was only semi-appropriate as an effect.

This is exactly what i meant. They don't function like bump maps. They function like specular maps.

Return to Tutorials