Can any race join the Imperial Legion?

Public discussion of the Province: Cyrodiil project.
Tes96
P:C Reviewer

Can any race join the Imperial Legion?

Postby Tes96 » 29 Sep 2013, 03:04

I was watching this video on the history of the Imperials of Cyrodiil and there is a debate about whether it is lore correct that any race can join the Imperial Legion.

Ezio Auditore da Firenze posted:
"The Imperial Legion does not recruit all races, only Imperials. If you played Morrowind, you could only join the Imperial Legion if you were Imperial. It's the same thing. I've NEVER seen an Orc, Elf, Khajiit, or Argonian Imperial Guard NPC."

With that being said, will all Legionnaires be of Imperial race for this project?
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Can any race join the Imperial Legion?

Postby SamirA » 29 Sep 2013, 03:16

Ezio Auditore da Firenze is a moron. There are at the very least Orcs in the imperial legion in Morrowind.
Project Coordinator

evercharmer
P:C Modder

Postby evercharmer » 29 Sep 2013, 04:49

Uh, there's plenty of non Imperials in the legion. There might only be Imperial guards, but I'd chalk that up to laziness on the dev's part. Check this out:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Imperial_Legion

Now, I don't see any Argonians or Khajiits here. Make of that what you will.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 29 Sep 2013, 05:31

Probably laziness there as well. Couldn't decide what to do about them as far as armor goes.
Project Coordinator

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 29 Sep 2013, 12:39

Ezio Auditore da Firenze wrote:[...]If you played Morrowind, you could only join the Imperial Legion if you were Imperial.[...]

Well... at least we know he hasn't played Morrowind.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 29 Sep 2013, 18:37

I dont remember seeing the beast races in the legion though. However, I am sure that the legion would regularly contract out services of people to do things and this would definitly include the beast races.
The vast majority of legionares in Cyrodiil are going to be Imperials though. I would guess that orcs probably make up a larger percentage of the minority though given their predipostions and the fact that they are spread everywhere.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 29 Sep 2013, 18:48

Tarius' answer is probably as close of a response to what will actually be that we can give you right now Tes96. A lot of it will depend on quests and character designs, but by and large the majority of characters in Cyrodiil will be Imperials of either the Colovian or Nibenese races.
Project Coordinator

Tes96
P:C Reviewer

Postby Tes96 » 29 Sep 2013, 22:08

Tarius wrote:I dont remember seeing the beast races in the legion though. However, I am sure that the legion would regularly contract out services of people to do things and this would definitly include the beast races.
The vast majority of legionares in Cyrodiil are going to be Imperials though. I would guess that orcs probably make up a larger percentage of the minority though given their predipostions and the fact that they are spread everywhere.

Thanks, Tarius. I presume Black Marsh would have the most Argonian legionnaires out of all the other provinces. Looks like Ezio didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

Cyrodiil is a cosmopolitan province, with the majority being Imperials, right? Wouldn't you see more Redguards and Bretons on the western side and more Dunmer on the eastern side and Nords on the northern side and Bosmer and Khajiits on the southern side?
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 30 Sep 2013, 00:32

Not really, just because their province borders those regions doesn't mean that they would simply move a few miles across the border.
Project Coordinator

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 30 Sep 2013, 18:59

I'd disagree. I pretty sure there's more Scotsmen and women in the north of England than in the South (possibly with the exception of London, which has people from everywhere). Moving fifty miles down the road isn't too much of a big deal compared with moving two or three hundred.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 30 Sep 2013, 19:16

I'd liken this more to Mexicans in America than Scots in England. That is a much more convoluted relationship where its all the same but not really, but then again it is. Mexicans can be found in large numbers all across the US and they came from one country to another. There might be a larger concentration in Texas, but not by enough of a margin to say that most Mexicans in America live there. Your example is more like somebody moving from one state to another which does not really fit the difference between provinces.

I would say that most of our non-Imperials would end up living in Nibenay rather than Colovia regardless of their point of origin with the exception of Redguards due to the political issues of Sutch.
Project Coordinator

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 30 Sep 2013, 20:57

Well, there are areas on the political border of Cyrodiil where the cultural borders are more blurred. I mean, parts of southern Skyrim are nordic with imperial influences (Falkreath) and conversely the opposite side of the border is imperial with nordic influences (Bruma), so there'd proportionally be more Nords in Bruma than is average across the whole province. Cheydinhal is supposed to have Dunmer influences in architecture, and the count is a Dark Elf, so I'd expect there to be a higher than average number of Dunmer in the city. And lots of the land west of the Niben between Bravil and Leyawiin belonged to Elsweyr until recently, so there'd still be a fair few Khajiit living there.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 30 Sep 2013, 21:39

Do not look at anything in recent Bethesda games for inspiration. Remember we are basing this off of the 1st PGE, not Oblivion. Colovian's and especially certain militant factions of them are intolerant of outsiders. The Nibenese are more open. The Nibenese areas of Cyrodiil will be far more cosmopolitan than the Colovian ones.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 01 Oct 2013, 00:44

What is the population of the cities going to be anyway?
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 01 Oct 2013, 01:09

That is starting to get a bit OT, but it is really up to the city builder/npcer. Obviously if things are getting too big we can tell them to back it down, but they will all be larger than anything seen in Morrowind.
Project Coordinator

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 01 Oct 2013, 15:50

Larger than Vivec?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 01 Oct 2013, 16:22

As far as NPCs go? Probably. Vivec covers a large area, but it is largely wasted space in the canton system. Our cities are generally more compact old european style with lots of stuff crammed into a smaller area.
Project Coordinator

gro-dhal
P:C Modder

Postby gro-dhal » 22 Dec 2013, 19:34

Any citizen of the Empire is automatically eligible join the Legion. In practice, that means anyone recognised as a citizen of any of the provinces of Tamriel (so House Dunmer but not Ashlanders, Bosmer but not Imga for example). In practice it is mostly Colovians, who traditionally see service in the military as a rite of passage and citizen's duty. Most rank and file legionaries are Imperials/Colovians, as are almost all senior officers.

The Orcs of Wrothgar and other lands are not by default Imperial citizens, but service in the Legions is a way of achieving citizenship with all the rights and privileges that affords, so many Orcs enlist in search of a better life.

The beast races, with their very different psychologies, find the human chain of command a difficult concept and often struggle in the Legion. A minority flourish in the environment, however.

Return to P:C Public Discussion