Lexicon's Lexicon of Questions & Ideas

Public discussion of the Province: Cyrodiil project.
TheLexicon
Pleb

Re: P:C music

Postby TheLexicon » 18 Apr 2013, 02:22

Good! I was hoping you'd say that! Would love to traverse familiar lands with an unfamiliar story!
The Quest forums are for modders? That means I can't post? :(

EDIT: Another question. How big will the Gold Coast be? I would really love to see a huge beach outside of Anvil. Not a skimpy one like in Oblivion, but an actual large beach, with lots of sand and sun. :lol:

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 18 Apr 2013, 06:18

I believe morrowinds scale is about 4 times the scale of oblivion. So we are working in a VERY much larger worldspace. We are going to be able to put lots more in. Scamp and Wolli have already been posting screenshots of it.....I need to start an exterior showase myself now that I am thinking about it. Just have to fit it on between my interiors here and working on senchal.
Paladin of Vaermina

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 18 Apr 2013, 18:41

TheLexicon wrote:EDIT: Another question. How big will the Gold Coast be?

If you can see this map, nothing more should have to be said.

TheLexicon
Pleb

Postby TheLexicon » 18 Apr 2013, 22:39

Woah. P:C is gonna be huge. Big beaches included? Anyway, nobody answered my question about the Quests forum. Is this because everyone thinks I'll spam it? Should I just keep all my quest suggestions in this forum? Maybe someone should edit the title.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 18 Apr 2013, 23:10

You have to keep suggestions in the public forums. The modder forum is for team members.
Paladin of Vaermina

TheLexicon
Pleb

Postby TheLexicon » 19 Apr 2013, 04:08

Ah. Okay, I'll keep suggestions here. What kind of stuff does P:C look for in terms of quest design? The semi-epic Oblivion quests, where a group of merchants are being run out and ask you to find out the reason behing this one guys low prices only to uncover a scret grave-digging scheme, or something like Morrowind, where you buy a bowl from a certain trader and deliver it to someone?
I could be wrong about the "Morrowind" quest structure, but I haven't played the game yet, so don't judge me.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 19 Apr 2013, 15:03

It depends. Not all quests should be epic but if every quest was trivial it would get a bit boring. Quests that offer genuine moral choices (especially if they aren't clear-cut good/bad) are best.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

TheLexicon
Pleb

Postby TheLexicon » 19 Apr 2013, 19:17

How about a fetch quest to get some stolen metchandise? It could branch to have quite a few choices, like killing the robbers to get the stolen goods, persuade/bribe them to hand them over, return the merchandise to the metchant or keep it for yourself, or let the bandits keep it and let them hire you to help rob a couple more stores with rare artifacts and such. The stolen items can be valuable gems, various powerful potions, or a really strong enchanted blade. You know, something to entice the player to keep.
How bad was it?

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 19 Apr 2013, 22:36

Tarius wrote:
TheLexicon wrote:Wish I could see this. If only I had a computer. :/

Seriously dude, you can get an acceptable computer off ebay for <$100, <$150 if you wanna spend a bit more money. If you cant afford this, I think you need to be paying attention to other things aside from MW.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

TheLexicon
Pleb

Postby TheLexicon » 19 Apr 2013, 23:21

Yeah, but I want a GOOD computer. Something that could run Oblivion easily, and maybe, just maybe, be able to run Skyrim at 30 fps with standard graphics. Hopefully this computer won't be $1,000, then I'd be able to get it soon.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 20 Apr 2013, 00:05

TheLexicon wrote:Yeah, but I want a GOOD computer. Something that could run Oblivion easily, and maybe, just maybe, be able to run Skyrim at 30 fps with standard graphics. Hopefully this computer won't be $1,000, then I'd be able to get it soon.

A computer for $1000 could run Battlefield 3 at max settings, if that tells you anything.

A computer for $300 could run Oblivion easily and Skyrim at low settings, too.

Depends on what exactly you do with the money, of course.

TheLexicon
Pleb

Postby TheLexicon » 20 Apr 2013, 22:14

I don't know. Want something with good performance at minimum cost.
What do you recommend?

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 21 Apr 2013, 04:40

TheLexicon wrote:I don't know. Want something with good performance at minimum cost.
What do you recommend?

Thats like saying you want a musical instrument that plays good.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

TheLexicon
Pleb

Postby TheLexicon » 21 Apr 2013, 14:09

Darn. What's a good gaming computer?
Actually, I should just ask if your computer runs well in terms of performance and ask if you'd recommend it to someone.
But now we're going off-topic. Now I'll go back to modding questions. How slow would an Elder Scrolls game run if I made a mod to put everything into the same worldspace? Maybe I'm wording it wrong, so I'll elaborate. Basically this idea takes Open Cities and expands it to include every entrance in he game. So, in a game like Skyrim, you could just open the door to this inn instead of a ten-minute loading screen. You could walk into a cave seamlessly. Basically eliminating the interior cell.
How bad was it?

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 21 Apr 2013, 15:39

I'd imagine it would be almost impossible because it would have to load and run every NPC simultaneously, with all their AI. It would also break loads of scripts that rely on things happening in specific cells.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

TheLexicon
Pleb

Postby TheLexicon » 21 Apr 2013, 17:17

Oh. I didn't know there were scripts specific to certain cells.
So, basically, even if it were developed with fixing all these scripts and such, no one would be able to play it anyway, because it would lag like crazy?
Darn! It was one of my good ideas, too!

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 21 Apr 2013, 18:27

TheLexicon wrote:Darn! It was one of my good ideas, too!

I don't see the benefits, to be honest. Aside from everything other people have already mentioned, merging the exterior worldspace with all interiors would basically take away the possibility to tweak interior light settings to fit particular places and atmospheres, as well as making it impossible to have diverse fog settings and density values.

Besides, without using MCP it will rain inside your houses and caves.

Speaking of which: You can't make seamless transitions from a cave entrance to the actual interior because there is terrain between those two elements, and you can't go through terrain without disabling collision via ingame console.

TheLexicon
Pleb

Postby TheLexicon » 21 Apr 2013, 19:39

I thought that the main benefits would be no loading screens and immersion.

I thought that a project like this would fix all this stuff.

Couldn't you just use less lighting in the actual world to "set the mood"?

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 21 Apr 2013, 20:34

I have 8 GB Ram. Morrowind doesn't give me any loading screens.

There is nothing to "fix" about that. Besides, we only add Cyrodiil, we do not change the way this game works.

TheLexicon
Pleb

Postby TheLexicon » 22 Apr 2013, 22:10

I know. I was kinda talking about any ES game, not just Morrowind. I wasn't suggesting that you guys develop it, was only asking if it'd work. Anyway, I was just curious about whether it'd work. Not suggesting that anyone should do it.

PreviousNext

Return to P:C Public Discussion