About Hackdirt...

Public discussion of the Province: Cyrodiil project.
LanceAvion
Pleb

About Hackdirt...

Postby LanceAvion » 10 Jan 2013, 05:38

Well not only Hackdirt. This is copied over from the Bethesda Morrowind forums, starting at post #128: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/137400 ... e__st__120.

I have a question for you guys (P:C modders). Your mod is in a uniques situation amongst the province mods; it is the only one that's already been covered in another game, Oblivion, in the same time frame. The events of Oblivion are only six years after those of Morrowind so there is room for a lot of overlap. That's opposed to SHoTH and Skyrim, a 200 year gap, or Tamriel Rebuilt; as there is no relevent game covering mainland Morrowind.

That's being said I think you guys could fill in a lot of blanks drawn by Oblivion's side quests. One example is "A Shadow Over Hackdirt." Besides that one quest there isn't much else to learn about the village of Hackdirt. We never learn about the deep ones or the reason the legion attacked the village of instance. Did you guys have any plans overlapping Oblivion's events with P:C?

Edit: I later came up with my own idea for Hackdirt's plot.

Anywho I have an idea for Hackdirt now. When the player shows up the citizens of Hackdirt (the ones from Oblivion, perhaps more or less) are attempting a sacrifice to call back the deep ones. Unfortunately for you, they decide a champion would make an excellent sacrifice so they trick you into joining them under the guise that you would be assisting in the ritual.

However the player can find another sacrifice if they want to (optional side quest given by a random Hackdirt citizen if they like you enough).

If you don't find another sacrifice, then once your in the caverns they give you the option to go into a cage for holding. If you refuse the Brethern attack and kill you. If you agree you'll have a window of opportunity to lock pick the cage and escape.

Escaping makes all the Brethen and citizens hostile; in which case you either have to escape, kill them all or they'll kill you. Escaping obviously voids the quest. Killing them all however alerts the deep ones (perhaps an ancient vampire coven as they require blood). They allow you the opportunity to become one of them for your combat prowess as well as ridding them of the annoying Hackdirt citizens. (This is the non canon ending)

Finding another sacrifice allows you to join in the ritual. However the deep ones don't show up and the disapponted Hackdirt citizens leave the caves. If you stay the deep ones eventually do show up and question your presence in Hackdirt. If you offend them they attack. Killing them all gives a cannacal ending (which is why the deep ones aren't present in Oblivion). If they like your answers they allow you the opportunity to face there best warrior in single combat. If you best him, they allow you to join there ranks (similar to the alternative I listed prior). You can join them at this point or kill them (also possible in the previous situation) which again leads to a "cannon" ending.

Joining them ultimately leads to a vampire questline. Regarding there attributes there is a book (Immortal Blood?) that goes into some detail about many vampire clans in Tamriel.

I do hope some of my ideas are doable. :)

So there you have it. I hope this helps with the brainstorming phase. Are there any similar ideas for other quests/events in Oblivion (such as an Easter Egg with a pre-Umbra Leawin in Pell's Gate for instance)? Is there already an idea for Hackdirt in place? I'm just curious as I'd like to be of some help in terms of storytelling.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Re: About Hackdirt...

Postby Saint_Jiub » 10 Jan 2013, 06:13

My only issue is that the Deep Ones are more interesting because they're never fully explored. I'd be kind of disappointed if they turned out to be something as mundane as a vampire coven, rather than the ancient, unknowable, tentacled monstrosities they're obviously a nod to.

On the other hand, I could see Hackdirt somehow being tied into Hermaeus Mora's quest.

LanceAvion
Pleb

Postby LanceAvion » 10 Jan 2013, 14:25

Saint_Jiub wrote:My only issue is that the Deep Ones are more interesting because they're never fully explored. I'd be kind of disappointed if they turned out to be something as mundane as a vampire coven, rather than the ancient, unknowable, tentacled monstrosities they're obviously a nod to.

On the other hand, I could see Hackdirt somehow being tied into Hermaeus Mora's quest.

And this is why discussions are invaluable. I don't know how I missed this blatently obvious reference (errr late night?), but something centered around Mora would be far more appropriate.

Is there a translation for the "Bible of the Deep Ones" by any chance?

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 12 Jan 2013, 22:36

I already posted something pertaining to Hackdirt, or someone else did. Eitherway, its been talked about at length. If I remember right, the issue was not entirely settled, but rest assured, its not something we have ignored.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Return to P:C Public Discussion