Tropical environments

Public discussion of the Province: Cyrodiil project.
Worsas
Asset Manager

Re: Tropical environments

Postby Worsas » 10 Jan 2013, 20:39

I like the idea of giving the colovian highlands and the west weald a tropical touch. At Skyrim we have added a small, robust species of palms around the area bordering hammerfell too.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 11 Feb 2013, 07:47

Saint_Jiub wrote:With regards to StoneFrog's comment though, I just want to say that I am 100% completely against using billboard leaves in our mod like in his screenshot. I think it looks utterly tacky, especially compared to the fully 3D trees that will be present in other regions (and probably right alongside the large jungle trees).
So it's time for me to eat my words :P Melchior Dahrk just posted these screenshots of a Bitter Coast mod he's working on over on the official forums, and the combination of fully 3D models closer to the ground with a canopy of billboard leaves above it (where the various graphical oddities of billboards will be obscured by the other trees) looks, I think, precisely how we should strive to make our jungles look. Here's the thread so you can see all his screenshots, and here's a couple of screens that I found to be the most striking:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42876609/Morrow ... %20021.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42876609/Morrow ... %20033.png

I know Nibenay's a long ways off, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 11 Feb 2013, 16:21

I always thought the tree replacers for the bitter coast made it look like a jungle rather than a swamp. But it looks nice indeed. Quite jungly, hence you're posting it here, I guess. Several heightlevels are a good call.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 11 Feb 2013, 18:52

That is a very good look to set as a baseline. Multiple levels are certainly a must.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 11 Feb 2013, 20:09

I agree, those look exceedingly well done.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 13 Feb 2013, 00:09

Yup.

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 23 Feb 2013, 05:22

nup.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 02 Mar 2013, 19:55

I was suddenly reminded of how I've forgotten to upload pictures from my trip to Henry Doorly Zoo last year. They have an indoor exhibit called the Lied Jungle which features a combination of jungle environments from around the world. I took a few photos of just scenery as possible inspiration for how areas of PC might look:

http://www.djgamer.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=18

Here are a few of my favorites:

Image Image Image Image

These are just a few highlights so feel free to look at the full gallery. It's got 18 images total. I'll also be uploading photos containing animals in a separate album which will feature a bit of the scenery as well.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 15 Mar 2013, 05:27

Wow, that is exactly how I want Nibeney to look.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 15 Mar 2013, 17:04

I should mention that the main things I'd like to see recreated from my pictures are the tree with the bit that's been hollowed out into a sort of arch so the path can run through it and the bit with the cave and the light shining down through it.

For the latter I think I recall seeing exterior caves in some of ZXT's old screen shots. I'd assume that's the only way we could accomplish an effect like that besides I suppose making the hole too small to get through and/or adding invisible collision boxes. Also, it would be cool to have small exterior caves and/or tunnels in a few places if that's at all practical to accomplish.

I'd assume it would need to involve a terrain mesh of some sort to make it all work. I'm going to have to look through that image gallery again.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 15 Mar 2013, 18:17

As far as making an exterior cave goes, there are basically 2 ways we can go about it:

The first, and probably easier, is just to make some new cave meshes that have some holes in the ceiling, and then set the cell to behave like exterior in the CS so you can see the sky and weather through it.

The other option would be to dig a big hole in the exterior terrain and put the meshes down in that, making the top look like it's part of the natural terrain (which is possible- I believe it was TheDayWalker who made an underground shrine to Azura using this method - he never released it though, sadly).

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 15 Mar 2013, 21:40

Once we are as far as having terrain textures and plantstuff for the jungly areas, it won't be a big deal to add in such terrain-meshes as mentioned. Such roots are not dfficult to model either. You only need many variants to hang over such terrain-edges or branches of trees...

I haved used the cloth-scripts in blender to create furs that are suspended over our orc tents at shotn. With the same technique I could make such hanging roots.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 15 Mar 2013, 22:35

Saint_Jiub wrote:As far as making an exterior cave goes, there are basically 2 ways we can go about it:

The first, and probably easier, is just to make some new cave meshes that have some holes in the ceiling, and then set the cell to behave like exterior in the CS so you can see the sky and weather through it.

The other option would be to dig a big hole in the exterior terrain and put the meshes down in that, making the top look like it's part of the natural terrain (which is possible- I believe it was TheDayWalker who made an underground shrine to Azura using this method - he never released it though, sadly).

He gave me the mesh. Birthday present.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 16 Mar 2013, 00:47

?

You people are talking as if you had never seen something like that before, or 'in some other mod'.

You do realize that we have a huge-ass 'exterior cave' on Stirk, right? Or am I misunderstanding the term here?
(I also made plenty of exterior caves at TR. Nemon and me both know our way around making these, it's not hard at all if you know your way around conventional exteriors)

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 16 Mar 2013, 03:36

Scamp tells the truth! We will have exterior caves in places that make sense. I think ZXT made some really nice looking mountain passes back in the old version of this mod and I plan to continue what he started in the new and improved version we have going now. Scamp did a great job with the first such place on Stirk even with the limited area he had to do so.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 16 Mar 2013, 18:55

Not to mention I even talked about it at length in a thread somewhere around here.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 04 Nov 2013, 03:12

SamirA wrote:The Great Forest will be the most jungled and dense region. We will have to strike a balance between performance and density there. Mostly this will mean our models need to look good, but be low poly or we will kill framerate.

By the time this area is worked on and released, OpenMW v1.0 will most likely have been out (which will hopefully allow for much better performance handling) and the average computer processing power will be much better than what it is now. So I am against sacrificing polygons or high textures just for the sake of frame rates. Processors and GPUs are only getting faster and better.

And yes, I am also against the billboard trees. You're talking about the ones where the leaves rotate and face you no matter which direction you are facing? Yeah, those look totally fake to me.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 04 Nov 2013, 04:34

There are some really good billboard trees, but I tend to agree that I don't necessarily want them. As for sacrificing polys the whole deal is keeping things as minimal as possible and still look good. We have several great models in P:C that have been optimized and you wouldn't know the difference unless told, but performance is boosted regardless of new rendering processes and better GPUs.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 05 Nov 2013, 00:04

Tes96 wrote:
SamirA wrote:The Great Forest will be the most jungled and dense region. We will have to strike a balance between performance and density there. Mostly this will mean our models need to look good, but be low poly or we will kill framerate.

By the time this area is worked on and released, OpenMW v1.0 will most likely have been out (which will hopefully allow for much better performance handling) and the average computer processing power will be much better than what it is now. So I am against sacrificing polygons or high textures just for the sake of frame rates. Processors and GPUs are only getting faster and better.

And yes, I am also against the billboard trees. You're talking about the ones where the leaves rotate and face you no matter which direction you are facing? Yeah, those look totally fake to me.

Well there is a difference between sacrificing stuff to save on performance and optimizing stuff so it still looks fine without using as much power. There is plenty of room to optimize stuff without making it look bad.

And yea, havnt been around as much lately, I have decided I wanna try and get that chapel done in the next week.(seriously, I get home and have like a max of 5 hours of time to do stuff before I need to be in bed, compared with almost triple that before job)

Previous

Return to P:C Public Discussion