Horses in Cyrodiil

Public discussion of the Province: Cyrodiil project.
SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Have questions not covered in the FAQ? Post them here.

Postby SamirA » 30 May 2012, 22:30

We are not going to have optional add-ons aside from possibly one that links Cyrodiil with Skyrim and Morrowind seamlessly. Horses, as far as ridable are way way back on the priority list. Carriages will probably be the fast travel method the dominates the province, but will they be pulled by horses or something else? I can't say for sure, but suffice to say we are making cyrodiil a much more alien environ so I wouldn't be surprised to see some other new beast of burden.
Project Coordinator

Tes96
P:C Reviewer

Horses in Cyrodiil

Postby Tes96 » 01 Jun 2012, 01:32

DJGamer wrote:
Frumious Quark wrote:3 questions:

Will there be horses (with or without a riding mod) at all? They could definitely replace the Silt Striders of morrowind.

There will be horse-drawn carriages to get between major cities, along with a few boats along the river systems. I believe we've discussed the possibility of incorporating something like Pegasus Horse Ranch-the key issue here however would be if we could do it without having to require that mod. If such would be the case, then we'll likely present it as an optional add-on.

Why don't we just copy the scripts and models (with creator's permission, of course) into the PC data folders? That way we won't need to require Pegasus Ranch at all.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 01 Jun 2012, 01:54

We should have a better horse model. I like the one recently posted on the beth forums. If we could get someone like archmeastro antares to animate it, it would be perfect. (the script is already a resource on PES)
Paladin of Vaermina

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 01 Jun 2012, 05:05

We already have the script, whether it is used or not is another story. Though it could easily be put to use on something other than a horse if we go that route. Again this is low priority stuff here, so nothing will be final in this area for some time.
Project Coordinator

Helena
Head of Quests

Re: Horses in Cyrodiil

Postby Helena » 01 Jun 2012, 09:17

We should definitely have horses as they are mentioned in lore, though we could have other beasts of burden in the more jungly areas. Rideable horses are a different matter, of course - I don't think we should even consider that until the entire province is complete.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 01 Jun 2012, 15:33

Helena wrote:We should definitely have horses as they are mentioned in lore, though we could have other beasts of burden in the more jungly areas. Rideable horses are a different matter, of course - I don't think we should even consider that until the entire province is complete.

I say that we should consider it if we find someone who wants to work on it.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

The Khan
P:C Modder

Postby The Khan » 02 Jun 2012, 03:25

I think horses in Cyrodiil should be like Guars in Morrowind.
Come join the friendly community of Exilian!!! Come and discus Mods, Games and lots more!!!

A.J.
Pleb

Postby A.J. » 02 Jun 2012, 11:04

The Khan wrote:I think horses in Cyrodiil should be like Guars in Morrowind.

i don't think thats what they SHOULD be. it would be kind of odd to walk around these lands with horses standing around everywhere, and even the horse-carriage travel services, without being able to ride one yourself.
especially when you think about the vastness of the landscape of Cyrodiil.
with the size of Vvardenfell it was just appropriate to travel by foot (also to make it "feel" bigger).
but the landscape of this mod is going to be HUGE, bigger than Oblivion or Skyrim... i think you get the idea.
if anything ever deserved rideable horses, it would be this :D

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 02 Jun 2012, 11:54

Riding horses is a change in the game mechanics, which we are not going to do.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 02 Jun 2012, 17:21

TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:Riding horses is a change in the game mechanics, which we are not going to do.

Game mechanics? How is this a change in game mechanics? Ok, it might make some people's travel a bit faster, but eventually most people can run as fast as a horse anyway.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

tkl7
Pleb

Postby tkl7 » 02 Jun 2012, 22:12

Sorry to butt into your discussion, but have ridable horses or any creatures been implemented in any morrowind mod yet?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Jun 2012, 22:29

Yes, there are ridable guars done by abot and there are ridable horse mods though none of them look too spectacular. Pegas Horse Ranch being the best one.
Project Coordinator

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 03 Jun 2012, 09:04

Tarius wrote:
TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:Riding horses is a change in the game mechanics, which we are not going to do.

Game mechanics? How is this a change in game mechanics? Ok, it might make some people's travel a bit faster, but eventually most people can run as fast as a horse anyway.

As in: it requires new scripts and animations and provides a new option for gameplay that is not included in vanilla Morrowind.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 03 Jun 2012, 14:30

TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:
Tarius wrote:

As in: it requires new scripts and animations and provides a new option for gameplay that is not included in vanilla Morrowind.

Well then you are missing the point: this isnt vanilla morrowind.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 03 Jun 2012, 15:43

But it is supposed to be an extension of it. We aren't going to add every moddy thing possible because we are a mod. The whole point is to be similar to an expansion. I'm not saying ridable horses are going to far, but just because this isn't vanilla does not mean changing game mechanics is something we should do.
Project Coordinator

tkl7
Pleb

Postby tkl7 » 03 Jun 2012, 15:46

OK, sorry to intrude again, but I am very interested in seeing this project come to realization. As a potential consumer of your project, I would like to say that because the scope of the project is huge to begin with, my opinion (and it's only my opinion) is that you should not get side tracked on adding a bunch of new features, or else the project may become overwhelming and never be completed.

Mounted horses are fine, and a great idea, but the priority should be on getting a completed exterior/interior/NPC & quest realease. Once you have the whole shebang completed and released, then go back and add the mounts as a patch or a seperate mod. One of the reasons TR has been so popular is that much of it is just derived from what you can find in vanilla morrowind. Obviously this is different, in that you guys are doing a different province, with different environments, architecture and climates, but the same basic principle should apply.

Like I said, this is just my opinion and suggestion. Ultimately, it is up to you all, and you certainly have more experience with this kind of thing than I do. I'd love to be able to do this kind of stuff, myself, but I am severely lacking in both talent and ability to use the construction set, so I am just looking forward to the Stirk and further releases.

Thanks for reading :)

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 03 Jun 2012, 18:03

Sheep, i think we should have lots of sheep. Colovia, where sheep are sheep. And the men are afraid. (Nasty saying from an old nord from bruma) Yes, that's bad.
Paladin of Vaermina

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 03 Jun 2012, 19:26

SamirA wrote:But it is supposed to be an extension of it. We aren't going to add every moddy thing possible because we are a mod. The whole point is to be similar to an expansion. I'm not saying ridable horses are going to far, but just because this isn't vanilla does not mean changing game mechanics is something we should do.

I am not suggesting that we add everything possible. What I am saying is that adding something which is supposed to be there isnt a huge step or change to anything. I still dont see horses as changing any game mechanics though. Other than faster travel, how do they change anything?

Anyway, this whole point is moot because it still requires someone to work on it.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 03 Jun 2012, 19:38

I never said horses were out Tarius, but the way you were talking about this not being vanilla was the point I was touching on. No we aren't vanilla but we dont want to come across as a mod. We are an unofficial expansion. I was merely closing the can of worms.
Project Coordinator

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 03 Jun 2012, 19:51

yeah, i agree. We should leave riding to a riding mod. no use in have several mods that do the same thing running possibly conflicting scripts. and bogging down the cpu. If someone wants to ride, they can dl pegasus horse ranch. i personally feel mods should be kept simple. adding and adding again to a basic purpose of a mod. makes it unwieldy and unappetizing to users. too many mods have crashed and burned for the fact that the modders overreached, And it became a fubared mod. Remember the silgrad mod. he added a bunch of scripting. which made going into maar gan problematic. because it messed up your reputation. And then he added the buggy firemoth bethesda mod to his mod. And while people liked the land. Everybody who ran it had big problems at one point or another. Keep it simple is a good mantra. Any tome you want to add something so large it can be its own mod. It probably should be. That said, horses yes, riding no.
Paladin of Vaermina

Next

Return to P:C Public Discussion