Have questions not covered in the FAQ? Post them here.

Public discussion of the Province: Cyrodiil project.
DJGamer
Mad God

Have questions not covered in the FAQ? Post them here.

Postby DJGamer » 14 Feb 2012, 23:25

If you have any questions about the project not already addressed in the FAQ, you may ask them here. If we consider the question important enough, it will be added to the FAQ itself. Regardless of FAQ-worthiness, we will do our best to answer each question.

Please note that this thread is NOT FOR DISCUSSION. If a particular question about the project warrants detailed discussion someone will create a new thread about it-possibly adding a link to it here.

Also of course be sure to take a good look at our FAQ to be sure that your question hasn't already been answered.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Tes96
P:C Reviewer

Re: Have questions not covered in the FAQ? Post them here.

Postby Tes96 » 21 Feb 2012, 02:16

1. Will we be using new voices for all or most NPCs in Cyrodiil? It would be monotonous to hear the same Imperial guards voice in every city in every province. But it is illegal to take the sound files of the guards in TESIV and use them in TESIII, which sucks. I suppose someone could record their own voice, given that they sounded Imperialistic enough.

2. Will we have our own music tracks for exteriors, interiors, caves, combat, taverns? The Morrowind music would be unfitting in the land of Cyrodiil, in my opinion. Once this project is completed, the MW music could switch over upon entering the exterior cell grids of TESIII Cyrodiil. We did have a composer on here but I haven't seen him around lately. Leon Van der Stadt I think his name was. There are also composers at the Tamriel-Rebuilt team. I'm good with classical music theory but not at composition. Any ways, there it is.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 21 Feb 2012, 02:31

If we figure out how tom implement music just for our province then we will have some. As for voices, I doubt you hear any new ones with the exception of perhaps a few unique ones.
Project Coordinator

The Khan
P:C Modder

Postby The Khan » 21 Feb 2012, 05:51

Skyrim uses music written for Morrowind. Maybe we don't need it to be different for the different provinces.
Come join the friendly community of Exilian!!! Come and discus Mods, Games and lots more!!!

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 21 Feb 2012, 08:14

Before we go any further, should this be merged into a new topic entitled: "P:C Voices and Music"? Otherwise, this thread might just be one infinite runon discussion suffused with non sequiturs.

I thought that was the cheapest copout to take a track from Morrowind and use it in Skyrim. It's as if the composer ran out of ideas or didn't feel like composing any more or wasn't getting paid enough, and so he didn't write any more music and they just took a track from TESIII that befit the Nordic theme. It sounds nice in Skyrim but it reminds me of Morrowind whenever I hear it. And with that, if I hear Morrowind music in Cyrodiil, it will remind me of Morrowind and not of Cyrodiil. Although, mostly I play with music turned off any ways, so why am I bitching to begin with? lol

Well, I would like to have a more diverse selection of voices for the Imperials since this is the Imperial province. Maybe we will find some a generous young man on BSF with a silver tongue that would be willing to record generic phrases for us.

Next question:
Will we have atmospheric sounds like bugs, crickets, bird calls, roosters, hoots, growls, tavern conversation sounds, etc... Other modders have done lots of work to add atmosphere life to Vvardenfell, like ASE (I think it's called) which adds talking to the towns and interiors, although it sounds like unintelligable mumbling. If not, we, or I, could get permission to use those files and then make an addon for each release. But I personally think it would be great if we had all those realistic sounds already implemented. It will make the file size bigger but who the fuck cares. Most people nowadays have terabyte drives any ways. And by the time P:C is done, we will be in the petabyte range probably. I think that's all I wanted to say for now. :)
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 21 Feb 2012, 09:15

we probably will.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 21 Feb 2012, 10:31

Having new voices and music would be nice but there are practical difficulties, over and above the increased file size. MW isn't set up to give individual people unique voices, unless you filter all their voice greetings for their unique ID. You could add some more racial greetings for Imperials, but they'd play randomly, meaning you might hear the same person speak with different voices at different times. Setting music to play only in Cyrodiil would be complicated as well, though I believe it is possible.

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 21 Feb 2012, 21:10

Helena wrote:Having new voices and music would be nice but there are practical difficulties, over and above the increased file size. MW isn't set up to give individual people unique voices, unless you filter all their voice greetings for their unique ID. You could add some more racial greetings for Imperials, but they'd play randomly, meaning you might hear the same person speak with different voices at different times. Setting music to play only in Cyrodiil would be complicated as well, though I believe it is possible.
Yeah, I suppose the voices would be difficult to accomplish. There is a mod that has custom explore music to all exterior cells on Vvardenfell, though the name eludes me for the moment. It isn't that big of a deal any ways. People can have TESIV music running from their iTunes any ways if they so desire.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 12 Mar 2012, 19:56

If having entirely custom music would require something like MWSE or even one of the open-source engines it would be something we'd make into an optional add-on. Furthermore if using any of these turns out to make custom music easier or more efficient in terms of scripting (I'd imagine the OSEs could include it as a feature rather than requiring a script) we could do pretty much the same thing.

If the scripts required to have unique music playing might affect performance in a significant way we also might split it off into an optional add-on. Otherwise most likely we'd just have our unique P:C music playing along with the vanilla stuff.

As for voices, unique NPCs (key characters and the like) will almost definitely have new voice-overs. Additionally, we'll try to make an effort to filter out any dialog that would sound out-of-place in Cyrodiil. Having entirely unique voice-overs for the entire province would be a whole lot of work-and unless we can find people able to imitate the voices of every generic NPC or somehow get a hold of the people who did the originals and convince them to record new stuff free of charge we'd have the aforementioned problem of them suddenly sounding different when speaking unique P:C dialog.

Atmospheric sounds are something we will probably include to some extent or other since it is quite possible to achieve in the vanilla engine using sound activators. Whether or not it would be practical to do this to the extent that mods dedicated to the task have done is of course another thing entirely.

I think the question has been answered here somewhat adequately so if anyone desires to discuss it further please create a new thread. Thank you.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Leon

Postby Leon » 16 Mar 2012, 13:02

Tes96 wrote:1. Will we be using new voices for all or most NPCs in Cyrodiil? It would be monotonous to hear the same Imperial guards voice in every city in every province. But it is illegal to take the sound files of the guards in TESIV and use them in TESIII, which sucks. I suppose someone could record their own voice, given that they sounded Imperialistic enough.

2. Will we have our own music tracks for exteriors, interiors, caves, combat, taverns? The Morrowind music would be unfitting in the land of Cyrodiil, in my opinion. Once this project is completed, the MW music could switch over upon entering the exterior cell grids of TESIII Cyrodiil. We did have a composer on here but I haven't seen him around lately. Leon Van der Stadt I think his name was. There are also composers at the Tamriel-Rebuilt team. I'm good with classical music theory but not at composition. Any ways, there it is.

Oh, I'm still alive you know. I always take a took whats happening on P:C ;)
I've finished almost 15 minutes of score, but they have to be optimized and polished. My goal is minimal 40 minutes of music :cheery:

EDIT: damn, forgive my ignorance DJGamer
León van der Stadt, composer

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 20 Mar 2012, 17:29

Leon van der Stadt wrote:Oh, I'm still alive you know. I always take a took whats happening on P:C ;)
I've finished almost 15 minutes of score, but they have to be optimized and polished. My goal is minimal 40 minutes of music :cheery:

EDIT: damn, forgive my ignorance DJGamer

I've posted the answer to this question here. I'm not sure if it needs to have a "short version" like the other questions.

I will make an exception in this case since you're directly responsible for the music in this mod. I'll make it a rule that even if I've sort of "closed" a topic in here, if the head of the department hasn't responded yet, s/he can still answer so long as it provides additional information not mentioned in earlier responses.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

ScribJellyRollMorton
Pleb

Postby ScribJellyRollMorton » 01 Apr 2012, 23:03

Is there any plan for new armor sets for existing armor materials? For example the glass armor found in Morrowind appears to be fashioned in a Dumner design, but for Cyrodiil, and SHOTN, it would be neat to have alternate sets of glass armor styled by the natives.

Really glass seems like the only material found throughout Tamriel with a vanilla set that would be out of place in other provinces.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Apr 2012, 01:55

It is unlikely that you will see such things. I would not rule it out entirely though. We will have plenty of new arms and armors to satisfy those hungry for such things.
Project Coordinator

Frumious Quark
Pleb

Postby Frumious Quark » 30 May 2012, 14:32

3 questions:

Will there be horses (with or without a riding mod) at all? They could definitely replace the Silt Striders of morrowind.

Even though TES IV made everything walled in, will there be any sort of psuedo outdoors environments like Mournhold in Tribunal? I'd expect the Imperial city to have some form of this or atleast walls without a transporter (lifting a giant door with an activator or speaking to a guard, etc).

Since this will require both expansions, will their be any special features like a bloodmoon'ish building project, hire-able mercenaries and pack animals?
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
~Frank Zappa

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 30 May 2012, 16:13

Frumious Quark wrote:3 questions:

Will there be horses (with or without a riding mod) at all? They could definitely replace the Silt Striders of morrowind.

There will be horse-drawn carriages to get between major cities, along with a few boats along the river systems. I believe we've discussed the possibility of incorporating something like Pegasus Horse Ranch-the key issue here however would be if we could do it without having to require that mod. If such would be the case, then we'll likely present it as an optional add-on.

Frumious Quark wrote:Even though TES IV made everything walled in, will there be any sort of psuedo outdoors environments like Mournhold in Tribunal? I'd expect the Imperial city to have some form of this or atleast walls without a transporter (lifting a giant door with an activator or speaking to a guard, etc).

Most locations are going to be seamless exteriors, though there will still be city walls and such. There is at least one location in Stirk that will sort of function like an exterior but we're still ironing out the details. We will be featuring at least some parts of Daedric Realms which obviously need to work as separate world spaces-this is where the "interior as exterior" feature will definitely be used.

Frumious Quark wrote:Since this will require both expansions, will their be any special features like a bloodmoon'ish building project, hire-able mercenaries and pack animals?

Can't say anything about building projects-technically however that wasn't "added" by Bloodmoon, the Great Houses each had their own stronghold-building projects in vanilla Morrowind. It is an option we might explore somewhere down the road.

As for mercenaries and pack animals, we'll likely feature at least mercenaries in some places-they're easy enough to add and explain. Pack animals is a slightly bigger maybe because I wouldn't entirely rule them out. An interesting idea that just occurred to me would be to have horses that you can mount backpack-type things to.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 30 May 2012, 22:38

SamirA wrote:We are not going to have optional add-ons aside from possibly one that links Cyrodiil with Skyrim and Morrowind seamlessly. Horses, as far as ridable are way way back on the priority list. Carriages will probably be the fast travel method the dominates the province, but will they be pulled by horses or something else? I can't say for sure, but suffice to say we are making cyrodiil a much more alien environ so I wouldn't be surprised to see some other new beast of burden.

You would have to mean quests here. Nothing else is out at the borders of the province to begin with so there isnt any reason they shouldnt fit together well.

There is a corny joke around that involves 789.

Edit: Alright, SamirA, I think me responding to your second post was hardly going back and forth.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Frumious Quark
Pleb

Postby Frumious Quark » 30 May 2012, 22:42

There is a pack donkey/mule mod out there for morrowind. I believe it has that legendary companion + share script (I think Grumpy was the name of the scripter / modder who made the scripts and even mods for them). I'd suppose equestrian beasts may make more sense in roman/greek'ish Cyrodiil than Morrowind.

Also, since cliff racers are indigenous only to Morrowind (i think?) will there be any plans for aerial creatures or water-life other than slaughter fish and mudcrabs?

In terms of aerial I do believe most in-game lore (even in Oblivion) states that dragons are rare and protected by law. Could they be put into a "rarity" script dependent on time spent wandering and level (like werewolf frequency in bloodmoon?)?
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
~Frank Zappa

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 01 Jun 2012, 07:01

Frumious Quark wrote:Also, since cliff racers are indigenous only to Morrowind (i think?) will there be any plans for aerial creatures or water-life other than slaughter fish and mudcrabs?

In terms of aerial I do believe most in-game lore (even in Oblivion) states that dragons are rare and protected by law. Could they be put into a "rarity" script dependent on time spent wandering and level (like werewolf frequency in bloodmoon?)?

We may include flying Imps, bats and the like. There will probably also be some different fish-type creatures. We are too early in to say for certain.

As for Dragons, I don't think we'll be including them unless we come up with an interesting idea for a quest involving one-then we'd also need to get a descent-looking mesh for one. I know there are some MW mods that add dragons, but I'm not sure how good they look.

Also, a remimder that this thread is for ASKING AND ANSWERING QUESTIONS ONLY. SamirA and other key members can chime in if they wish to elaborate on something or even answer a question before I do that's okay.

If you want to start up a discussion on a topic brought up in the FAQ-for instance what I just said about dragons-a new topic should be started up for that.

Thanks.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Shishkinbar
Pleb

Postby Shishkinbar » 11 Feb 2013, 20:26

Hi! What about new screenshots for moddb?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 12 Feb 2013, 00:47

You know, I was just talking about moddb today on IRC. I'll put together a package to upload over there.
Project Coordinator

Next

Return to P:C Public Discussion