Colovians vs Nibeneans?

Public discussion of the Province: Cyrodiil project.
Tes96
P:C Reviewer

Colovians vs Nibeneans?

Postby Tes96 » 04 Dec 2011, 23:13

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/t ... __19627923

From what MrDarkSim said, according to lore, is there supposed to be tension between the Colovians and the Nibeneans? If so, what kind of tension? Is it similar to the Houses in Morrowind?
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Osidian
P:C Modder

Re: Colovians vs Nibeneans?

Postby Osidian » 05 Dec 2011, 00:04

Well they're two different "subcultures" within the Cyrodiilic culture. They aren't necessarily in conflict, but there are some different ideals.

The nibenese are the ruling aristocracy, they are a little elven influenced and more interested in magic and arts. They're well-spoken and good merchants.

The colovians are generally practical, firm, loyal men and compose the majority of the legions. They are similar to the Nords in some ways.

Because of this differences, there's bound to be some disagreements between them, some different ideologies and maybe some rivalry and disdain (like it happens in the real world, with people from different regions of the same country). But they aren't exactly political factions like the Great Houses of Morrowind. After all, together, they built the current empire of Tamriel.

edit: Is it Nibenese or Nibeneans? I'm never sure which to use...
I am no salmon – Dagon

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 05 Dec 2011, 00:27

Osidian, when I think of what you said, I think its simplest when put as this: Think of the stereotypical city-folk vs country-folk story line. City-folk would rely more on computers/phones etc(in this case you would think of magic not technology), while the country-folk would be more interested in solid, tangible things; in otherwords, stuff thats readily practical.

This gives me an idea for a quest where one of the kids of a farmer wants to utilize magic to help out on the farm but the father doesnt like the idea.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 05 Dec 2011, 12:34

Osidian puts it very well. The 'Colovians vs. Nibenese' stereotypes in Cyrodiil remind me of 'North vs. South' stereotypes here in England (and similar ones in many other countries). Southerners = more intellectual, 'cultured' etc.; Northerners = hardy, practical, no-nonsense etc. It's more a cultural difference than a political one - though of course, cultural differences can lead to political tensions as well.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 05 Dec 2011, 18:10

Political conflicts between Colovia and Nibenay was brought up in this thread.
Actually, you're not a P:C modder, are you? You probably won't be able to access that thread. Basically, it was about an idea Helena had for a Colovian Independence movement.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 05 Dec 2011, 20:31

TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:Political conflicts between Colovia and Nibenay was brought up in this thread.
Actually, you're not a P:C modder, are you? You probably won't be able to access that thread. Basically, it was about an idea Helena had for a Colovian Independence movement.

Hmm, you are right. Well she wants to become one.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 08 Dec 2011, 03:24

Tarius wrote:Osidian, when I think of what you said, I think its simplest when put as this: Think of the stereotypical city-folk vs country-folk story line. City-folk would rely more on computers/phones etc(in this case you would think of magic not technology), while the country-folk would be more interested in solid, tangible things; in otherwords, stuff that's readily practical.

This gives me an idea for a quest where one of the kids of a farmer wants to utilize magic to help out on the farm but the father doesn't like the idea.
I think that puts it best and easiest for me. Lots of old timers and people who don't like technology look down on people who do use technology, and vice versa. Like, "bah, back in my day, we didn't have smartphones for entertainment; we had to use our imaginations. You people with all your gidgets and gadgets are just blind sheep". And the technology people are like "bah, you idiots aren't even with the times. Go crawl under a rock. Just because you don't know how to program your own DVD player doesn't mean you have to be a shithead about it. Now piss off."

Are the colovians and the Nibenese (and I think it is Nibenese and not Nibenean) similar in distaste for one another as are the Nords against magic users? I know Nords don't care too much for magic and especially elves who use magic.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 08 Dec 2011, 04:16

No, there is no open animosity between the two. More like a sibling rivalry.
Project Coordinator

The Khan

Postby The Khan » 08 Dec 2011, 05:50

If they were join-able that would be very interesting. :) Maybe a string of faction quests that eventually unite the two. Maybe even some faction quests to destroy the opposition or even just normal ones.
Come join the friendly community of Exilian!!! Come and discus Mods, Games and lots more!!!

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 08 Dec 2011, 06:58

The Khan wrote:If they were join-able that would be very interesting. :) Maybe a string of faction quests that eventually unite the two. Maybe even some faction quests to destroy the opposition or even just normal ones.
I don't like the idea of unity. That sounds like what america is trying to do, what with all it's cultural diversity propaganda and trying to get everyone to get along. But I don't want to get into earthly politics here. I like having tension between factions in Cyrodiil; it makes for a good setting. Once people are set in their ways, it's very hard to change their opinion, much like trying to convince a democrat to become a republican. The odds of that happening are slim to none. Or am I wrong?

The Khan

Postby The Khan » 08 Dec 2011, 11:49

I don't know. Are you? Sounds like war than. :) Why are we worrying about this now. We got a whole huge gigantic map to get down. It took paid people a few years to cover a map smaller than ours.
Come join the friendly community of Exilian!!! Come and discus Mods, Games and lots more!!!

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 08 Dec 2011, 12:48

The Khan wrote:If they were join-able that would be very interesting. :) Maybe a string of faction quests that eventually unite the two. Maybe even some faction quests to destroy the opposition or even just normal ones.

You can't really 'unite' them as such because they're cultures, rather than factions. Politically they're already 'united' in the sense that they inhabit the same country and jointly run the Empire, and there's quite a lot of cultural overlap as well. I did have an idea for a joinable Colovian seperatist movement, but they would a) represent only a small minority of Colovians, and b) be looking to overturn the current political arrangements, perhaps with the ultimate goal of independence from the Empire. Obviously that wouldn't actually happen in the game, but they might make some progress towards less ambitious goals such as gaining official recognition.

One smaller idea I have, just to help distinguish the two a bit, is to give some of the Nibenese Greek-sounding names as opposed to Latin-sounding ones. (The ancient Greeks and Romans used to stereotype each other in similar ways to the Nibenese and Colovians.)

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 08 Dec 2011, 13:15

Interesting idea on the names Helena, I like it.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 08 Dec 2011, 20:08

Tes96 wrote:Once people are set in their ways, it's very hard to change their opinion, much like trying to convince a democrat to become a republican. The odds of that happening are slim to none. Or am I wrong?

Well actually...
At least switch from democrat to republican to be able to vote in the primaries. Ron Paul commands followers from everywhere.

Greek vs Roman names is nice, plenty of them around, not hard to come up with a bunch.

Interesting idea, perhaps have a few people with the same last name? We always see all these people with different names, but they never seem related to each other.

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 08 Dec 2011, 21:12

The Khan wrote:I don't know. Are you? Sounds like war than. :) Why are we worrying about this now. We got a whole huge gigantic map to get down. It took paid people a few years to cover a map smaller than ours.
I like to get ideas going ahead of time to see what other people think. And then as we get closer to completion, we can compare the ideas we come up with then to the ideas we have now, and see which we like and which we don't.

The Khan

Postby The Khan » 08 Dec 2011, 21:26

:) OK than. So not war and not peace and not joinable so thats all of my ideas down the drain.

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 08 Dec 2011, 21:58

The Khan wrote::) OK than. So not war and not peace and not joinable so thats all of my ideas down the drain.
Perhaps they're down the drain but because there are so many that they are clogged and stuck in the piping, and thus we can always get a plunger to retrieve them when it comes time to use the sink again, if that makes any analogous sense.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 08 Dec 2011, 23:51

Tes96 wrote:
The Khan wrote::) OK than. So not war and not peace and not joinable so thats all of my ideas down the drain.
Perhaps they're down the drain but because there are so many that they are clogged and stuck in the piping, and thus we can always get a plunger to retrieve them when it comes time to use the sink again, if that makes any analogous sense.

You need to pull stuff out of your head. Pulling stuff out of the other end means things might get clogged...

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 09 Dec 2011, 00:57

Tarius wrote:
Tes96 wrote:

You need to pull stuff out of your head. Pulling stuff out of the other end means things might get clogged...
But what if that is my intention? :p
Last edited by Tes96 on 09 Dec 2011, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

The Khan

Postby The Khan » 09 Dec 2011, 01:02

...?

Return to P:C Public Discussion