Heightmap, Progress, Ideas and Suggestions

Public discussion of the Province: Cyrodiil project.
SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Heightmap, Progress, Ideas and Suggestions

Postby SamirA » 02 Jan 2011, 20:51

Hey guys SGMonkey is currently working on our heightmap in a different manner than before so as to make it match better with the other provinces so that once they are all completed it wont be much to get them all together for the enjoyment of the community. He told me that he does not intend to take any longer than necessary to create a beautiful and dynamic map for us to add our work to.
Project Coordinator

SGMonkey
P:C Admin

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 20:52

Hey guys, just dropping in to say sorry it's taking so long. Been drinking an all...

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Jan 2011, 20:52

Having this soon would be...nice, SGMonkey...
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 02 Jan 2011, 21:04

If it isn't too much trouble might you make sure Stirk is based it's location on this map I created?

http://cyrodiil.deejaygamer.com/images/ ... -wip02.jpg

Don't care nearly as much about Sutch since I'm not really satisfied with how I currently have the river bit worked out. So it's mostly like there might be something you'll need to adjust in the landscape to better match my map and something I'll end up adjusting on my map to better match your landscape. lol

If Stirk is already about around that spot then everything's fine already of course. :sheo:

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 21:05

Hey all, im currently uploading what i have so far for the heightmap, please accept my apologies that it's taken so long. Had alot on lately, but i felt bad that its taken this long and i had to give you something, even if im not entirely happy with it myself.

Who should I PM the link to the download when its uploaded? Don't want to just add it here.

And DJ, this screenshot shows where Stirk is currently

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae22 ... -35-58.jpg

If you so desire i can move it for you, it would only take a minute or two. Just curious, but what are your reasons for wanting it moved?

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 02 Jan 2011, 21:06

SGMonkey wrote:Hey all, im currently uploading what i have so far for the heightmap, please accept my apologies that it's taken so long. Had alot on lately, but i felt bad that its taken this long and i had to give you something, even if im not entirely happy with it myself.

Who should I PM the link to the download when its uploaded? Don't want to just add it here.

And DJ, this screenshot shows where Stirk is currently

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/ae22 ... -35-58.jpg

If you so desire i can move it for you, it would only take a minute or two. Just curious, but what are your reasons for wanting it moved?

Actually, that looks to be about where it should be. My main concern was that you might have placed it about where it is on this map for the Oblivion Hammerfell mod: http://api.ning.com/files/cpYZf7nEtKmiH ... ngame1.jpg

That is quite far from where it should be based on this official map: http://www.imperial-library.info/maps/t ... estmap.bmp

I edited that former map, adding it alongside the map of Cyrodiil and moving Stirk closer to it's proper location: http://cyrodiil.deejaygamer.com/images/ ... tion01.jpg

From the looks of the screenshot you posted there's nothing to worry about, though, except getting rid of the new river branch (on my map) since that doesn't seem to be there unless we're going to add it in later or something-I'm not sure if we came to a firm decision regarding that or not.

What I'm talking about specifically is whether or not Sutch will have an added "natural border", creating a kind of odd pitchfork-shaped river branch (lol), or if we just leave it as is not adding too much in terms of extra geography.

Edit: Modder's Download - http://cyrodiil.deejaygamer.com/infusio ... php?did=28 (link will only work for members of the "Modders" group on the website).

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 21:08

DJGamer wrote:Edit: Modder's Download - http://cyrodiil.deejaygamer.com/infusio ... php?did=28 (link will only work for members of the "Modders" group on the website).

Aw... can't even download my own plug-in :(

:sheo:

Anyway, please by all means let me know your opinions, and i will be more than willing to fix anything up for you guys.

Any problems, just let me know

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 02 Jan 2011, 21:09

If you want to have access to downloads, you need to sign up on the site and I'll go ahead and add you to the "modders" group.

You'll also be able to upload files to the downloads section if you need to. The only thing to worry about is of course you'll probably need to use 7-zip to compress any updates you make the the landmass down to bellow 10MB, which is surprisingly easy-or at least it was for me. lol

I definitely hope someone tries downloading it soon so I can be sure there aren't any problems with it being so compressed. I suppose I could try that myself but I'd have to go over to my desktop computer first.

Speaking of which my mom ordered Windows 7 Home Premium for me from Amazon.com so hopefully about a week from now I can try installing Morrowind on my laptop again. If all goes well I'll be able to start testing my mods without having to go all the way to the other side of the house-which isn't very far but my bedroom's got a larger screen in it-and a better graphics processor, much better suited to using MGE. :sheo:

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 21:10

Nah, was only messing. You compressed it to 10mb??? how the hell did you manage that? :P

Anyway, ive made a quick grid map of Cyrodiil for you guys. It was just a quick mock up and it may be of use for you, with claims and all.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4KDS8HZD

About windows 7, make sure you disable UAC, literally, the first thing you should do. Just turn it off!

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 02 Jan 2011, 21:11

SGMonkey wrote:Nah, was only messing. You compressed it to 10mb??? how the hell did you manage that? :P

Anyway, ive made a quick grid map of Cyrodiil for you guys. It was just a quick mock up and it may be of use for you, with claims and all.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4KDS8HZD

About windows 7, make sure you disable UAC, literally, the first thing you should do. Just turn it off!

Nah, I'm used to it and I've been told it's important to have it on anyway.

Well, the grid is nice except that it doesn't have labels for cells and the coloration is a bit wonky. lol

I've already started trying to add a grid overlay to that one screenshot you posted, then I'll try to juxtapose that over my map or something like that-I'll try to get something at least approximate put together.

Okay, I gave up on that idea and just recolored the map you posted: http://cyrodiil.deejaygamer.com/images/ ... ocoord.gif

I'm in the process of adding in the coordinates which will take awhile and I'm not sure if I'll feel like doing all the work today so it'll take some time to say the very least. Wish there was a way I could just automate it and there probably is but I guess I'm too lazy to look for it. Yes, ladies and gentlemen I'm actually too lazy to find out a lazy way to get this done. :sheo:

Oh yeah and another thing we're going to have to figure out is where each of the regions is going to be.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 21:13

Hey all. SamirA brought it to my attention that the height map wasn't working. After looking at the map quickly in TESFaith i noticed that the cells overlapped mainland morrowind. For some reason when the map is imported it also imports a row of cells along the top and left of the image used to import the map. And it was this that was overlapping. The reason it wasnt before was because the last map i sent you i had cropped slightly, causing it to overlap

Im currently trying to fix this, Ive managed to get it working in game fine without cropping, but i need to remove the rows of unneeded cells. I'll let you guys know as soon as ive fixed it.

Until then.

I found out i could import custom vertex paint to any terrain, which is very handy, as you will see in This Picture

Red for Major cities, blue for villages, black for paths.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Jan 2011, 21:14

Thanks SGMonkey, this is much appreciated. We are almost to the point of needing the map to really get to work. I'm excited to see the final product.
Project Coordinator

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 21:14

Well its done... But it aint fuckin workin still. As i said i fixed the Odai Plateau problem, but the fuckin thing wont load in the CS

No matter what i try.

The only thin that works is splitting the map up. But the only way of doing that leaves lines of blank cells across the map.

Excuse my language but it's really starting to annoy me. It used to work fine, and every other map does work fine still.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Jan 2011, 21:17

I'm sure you will figure out the problem Monkey, just find anything that is different between this map and your others. I don't see why it would just stop working, something must be up with it. This is troubling though, I agree.

SamirA Edit: I personally vote for the 3 esp method and we will just have to raise some land by hand and see if we can't merge it back from there and maybe it'll work as one esp after we do that. I don't think having to raise a few cells of land with borders around it to match to should be too terrible difficult for use to do.
Project Coordinator

ZackG
P:C Legend

Postby ZackG » 02 Jan 2011, 21:18

Have you used TESame to just completely delete the overlapping cells altogether?

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 02 Jan 2011, 21:18

Don't tell me this means I'll have to rework all the coordinates on the claim map...

If it does, I'll seriously need to look into some way to automate the process although I do kinda doubt there is a simple way to do that.

The map with the paths and such on it will probably be quite useful, though.

A few questions, though-it looks like you might have goofed on a few of the dots' colors. The dot for Kvatch is blue but the dot for what I'm fairly certain is a small road-side inn is red. I also can't seem to find red dot for Leyawinn.

Also, while I can see Sutch, Mir Corrup doesn't seem to have a dot on the map-not a big deal since its location hasn't exactly ever been identified on an official map (as far as I'm aware). I think we've only figured out the general location where we think it should be (somewhere around the rea south of the Y-shaped lake in what I believe is the Nibenay Basin region). Anyway, it's still nice because I wanted to have the road system worked into the claim map and this might make that a bit easier or at least function as descent alternative reference.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Jan 2011, 21:19

I now have the heightmapped and working Cyrodiil plugin. How would you like me to get it to you DJ and zackg? It wouldn't upload on our site.
Project Coordinator

ZackG
P:C Legend

Postby ZackG » 02 Jan 2011, 21:20

Upload to 2share and then either DJ or I can upload it to the site.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Jan 2011, 21:20

I'm actually e-mailing it to you as we speak zackg.
Project Coordinator

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 21:21

DJGamer wrote:Don't tell me this means I'll have to rework all the coordinates on the claim map...

If it does, I'll seriously need to look into some way to automate the process although I do kinda doubt there is a simple way to do that.

The map with the paths and such on it will probably be quite useful, though.

A few questions, though-it looks like you might have goofed on a few of the dots' colors. The dot for Kvatch is blue but the dot for what I'm fairly certain is a small road-side inn is red. I also can't seem to find red dot for Leyawinn.

Also, while I can see Sutch, Mir Corrup doesn't seem to have a dot on the map-not a big deal since its location hasn't exactly ever been identified on an official map (as far as I'm aware). I think we've only figured out the general location where we think it should be (somewhere around the rea south of the Y-shaped lake in what I believe is the Nibenay Basin region). Anyway, it's still nice because I wanted to have the road system worked into the claim map and this might make that a bit easier or at least function as descent alternative reference.

1. Its the exact same map, so no, you wont have to rework anything.

2. When the map has the vertex colours painted onto it, it wont open up in the CS.

3. Ive not goofed anything on the dots colours atall. The red dots are the major cities. Anvil, Chorrol, Kvatch, Skingrad, The Imperial City, Cheydinal, Bravil, and Leyawiin. The rest are just town/villages based on the map by arthmodeus. The reason you can't see Leyawiin is because the dot is underwater, as I didn't include the land for Leyawiin because I thought it was probably better made by hand.

4. Neither Sutch, nor Mir Corrup are on there. Because they simply aren't on the map i used as a basis for the height maps, so I didn't even attempt to guess where they were.

Finally, you will have to split the map up into sections at some point, atleast half it, better cut it into 3. Because by the time you've got most of it vertex painted and textured, it simply won't load in the CS as a whole. Let alone covered in statics.

The best way to go about doing this, is before you make it dependant on any ESM's. I would region paint it, then split it up, you will find it very hard to region paint it with any masters, due to the sheer size of it.

Anyway, I think that is all. Hope you all enjoy working on it, and again, my apologies for any inconvenience.

Let me know if you have any problems

PreviousNext

Return to P:C Public Discussion