Heightmap, Progress, Ideas and Suggestions

Public discussion of the Province: Cyrodiil project.
SGMonkey
P:C Admin

Heightmap, Progress, Ideas and Suggestions

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 20:26

Evening all, just thought id stop by and say hello. As Zack and ZXT both know i have agreed to make the heightmap for Cyrodiil, and since im gonna be working on the heightmap for you guys, im gonna use this topic as a place to post what ive got and for you to say "No, rubbish" or "Could you just...?" Or whatever.

So, keep a close eye those who are interested. Any questiones... let them be heard. Im more than happy to answer any queries or make any changes to the make as i go.

been a little busy the last few days moving stuff around, hence why im only getting down to it today.

Oh and hello, my names Monkey...

ZackG
P:C Legend

Re: Heightmap, Progress, Ideas and Suggestions

Postby ZackG » 02 Jan 2011, 20:27

Who the hell are you?

=-P Kidding. Well, welcome to Province: Cyrodiil. I'm fairly sure you got my last PM about the land surrounding Lake Rumare so from what I understand so far thats the only difference we currently have from Oblivion's Cyrodiil (ZXT, correct me if I'm wrong?). Look forward to seeing the progress and if you need anything let us know.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 02 Jan 2011, 20:29

Originally posted by ZXT012

Hi SGMonkey and welcome to our forum. Feel free to look around, look at screenshots we have posted both here and in the website and cover us with compliments. ;) As Zackg already said, the only difference so far in our map is the land around Lake Rumare. I'm looking forward too to see the progress.
Project Coordinator

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 20:29

Progress should be fairly swift once i get more than 5 minutes at my PC. Gonna have a start now. In the mean time, i'll just show you an old map i made, obviously, its miles from what it should be like, and ive since restarted.

Anyway, here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PuiHrtX5co

Like i said, old map, changed a bit since, but i will probably make alot of variations and such

.... Oh, and thanks for making me feel so welcome Zack!

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 02 Jan 2011, 20:30

Haha I was just messin' SGMonkey. Vid looks good. Take your time, anxious to see what you come up with.
I dont know if are able to tell in whatever program you are making these in but if you could try and make the Jerall Mountains close to the Morrowind limit of 32000 that'd be awesome.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Jan 2011, 20:33

ZackG wrote:if you could try and make the Jerall Mountains close to the Morrowind limit of 32000 that'd be awesome.

Or we could use a program called CellToNif to convert "premodeled" cells to meshes and use these meshes as mountain tops thus overcoming MW's limit of 32000 game units. Being mountain tops, these cells shouldn't hyper-detailed, so shouldn't have even an FPS loss.
Project Coordinator

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 20:34

Today im just messing about with getting the vertical scale right so that the maximum height (i.e. white) is as close to 32000 game units as possible. At the moment its at 31912, which in my opinion is close enough, plus, any higher and you just fall trhough the land, which isnt ideal.

Now ive got the highest point in a decent place im gonna set the above water ground level. Then the rest will wall into place nicely, you shall see :)

Oh, and just for your information, don't think I mentioned this before. But Cyrodil is 10560 cells in total. It may need to be split up into 2 esp's.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Jan 2011, 20:35

Holy crap! That's a lot of cells! How long will it take you to split the map in 2 esps? Could you split it into 10 maps of 1056 cells?
Project Coordinator

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 20:35

It's not really a matter of time, it's just a case of getting it aligned so that your not splitting it down the center of a cell. needs to be cropped at the borders. Done it before with highrock, its no biggie.

Im currently uploading a short video of cyrodiil in game again, using the old heightmap youve already seen, but with the adjusted scale, so its the same crappy shape hills and such, but alot higher. You should see a considerable difference in height. And if you don't like it then its tough, cos it literally cant go any higher :P

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 02 Jan 2011, 20:37

Hows it coming along?

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 20:38

Slowly... im pretty busy to tell you the truth, with real life stuff. So it may be a while, can't say exactly when i will post the next update. I would work on it now... but uhhh... there's beer to be drank

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 20:39

Hey people, i am still working on this. Just got back from being in scotland.

Will post my progress in the coming days

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Jan 2011, 20:40

Woohoo, thanks SGMonkey! Can't wait to see some screenshots.
Project Coordinator

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 20:42

ZXT012 wrote:
ZackG wrote:if you could try and make the Jerall Mountains close to the Morrowind limit of 32000 that'd be awesome.

Or we could use a program called CellToNif to convert "premodeled" cells to meshes and use these meshes as mountain tops thus overcoming MW's limit of 32000 game units. Being mountain tops, these cells shouldn't hyper-detailed, so shouldn't have even an FPS loss.

:D Just been testing stuff out.

Should have it looking much better in a day or two.

And as for the height limitations. Making meshes as mountain tops won't help atall. As far as im aware, the limitations don't just lie with the terrain, it's anything above 32760 game units, not just terrain.

Things basically start to get a bit glitchey.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Jan 2011, 20:44

It was just a random idea, one that I've never tested. And I can already foresee problems like the lack of detail of the texture of the cell and matching the textures along two cells.
Project Coordinator

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 20:46

Quick video of Cyrodiil as it is at the minute

Any ideas or suggestions, let me know.

There is still quite alot i know needs changing but i just want to hear your opinions. For example, the mountain side next next to Kvatch is supposed to be a gradual slope down to the river.

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 20:47

Don't worry guys, im still workin on this. Just been a bit busy of late.

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 02 Jan 2011, 20:48

Update SGMonkey? Dont mean to pester, just curious..

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 02 Jan 2011, 20:49

Hey everyone, apologies for the delay.

Just a quick update and i hate to delay you in your work atall. But ive since restarted the Cyrodiil Heightmap. The reason for this is because i thought the first one looked pretty shit, and im making its fit better with Hammerfell (height-wise, not shape wise, if you catch my drift)

I should have the new one looking about right for tomorrow, and i'll try get a video uploaded so you can compare the two and say which one you prefer.

Again, sorry for the delays, but good things come to those who wait.

Posted Image

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 02 Jan 2011, 20:50

Thanks SGMonkey, really appreciate the time and commitment you are putting into this making sure it is of quality and all, no worries so long as you buy me a Guinness..

Next

Return to P:C Public Discussion