Skyrim and Cyrodiil

Public discussion of the Province: Cyrodiil project.
Worsas
Asset Manager

Re: Skyrim and Cyrodiil

Postby Worsas » 13 Nov 2014, 01:11

Alright, I have gone ahead and given SGMonkey a backup of the complete SHOTN-forum. That may be a somewhat unauthorized step on my part, but I think we should take this chance, while we can.

The way it looks SGMonkey will try to create a collective superforum containing the forums for S'HOTN and all of the projects on project-tamriel as subforums that can still act as individual forums, but with a common login for all members across all projects. That seems to be the idea so far, at least. I hope it will work out.

SGMonkey
P:C Admin

Postby SGMonkey » 13 Nov 2014, 12:16

I'd just like to make a few things clear.

I'm only going to be merging the PC and SHOTN forums as a test to begin with.
This will be done on a separate database of course. I won't be touching either the PC or SHOTN original databases, backups have been made of both.

Merging two forum databases is no simple task. All duplicate users will have to be merged, forums and posts have unique ID's so they may get merged with each other if they have the same underlying ID.

I have made a quick sketch of how the forums could be laid out. If anyone is interested they could check it out here http://phpbb31.project-tamriel.com

Also. I will only do this if it is what people want anyway.

I'd like to point out that I do this in my spare time when I can as a hobby cos I really want Cyrodiil, skyrim and whatever else in TES III.
I pay for the server myself except for donations, of which to this day I have only received one. It was a most helpful contribution however and is more than appreciated.

Cheers all!

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 13 Nov 2014, 13:38

Merging the forums without having the data loss you mention is probably a mammoth task depending on how many tables there are in the database. All foreign keys will have to updated to point to the new userids for some users, for example. you are probably aware of that already, though.

sasquatch
P:C Modder

Postby sasquatch » 13 Nov 2014, 14:47

I hope this helps. Good work guys!

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 13 Nov 2014, 14:52

Looks very nice. People here are mostly in agreement, I think, but they don't seem to be totally convinced of the plan over at SHotN (though most people indicate that they will continue building regardless). I would suggest you show these designs over there as well.

Yeti

Postby Yeti » 13 Nov 2014, 18:51

James007
Pleb

Postby James007 » 13 Nov 2014, 20:31

Maybe someone get into them in the future.
What little is done, looks beautiful for me.
What about New Argon?

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 13 Nov 2014, 20:48

Maybe a good policy would be to hold off adding other province mods until the people who (re-)start them actually ask for it.

James007
Pleb

Postby James007 » 13 Nov 2014, 21:38

May just make a thread in the forum where anyone can upload resources to other provinces, may be useful later. I think you have in any case there is a base of resources.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 14 Nov 2014, 01:06

That mod seems to be pretty much dead and gone.

That is their old forum, though. The newer forum shows posts only dating back to this october.

I believe, it is important that the subforums for the projects are given individual styles. We should try to keep an individual atmosphere for each project.

I originally thought you meant that everything belonging to a project would be nested within the subforum and not immediately on the superforum. General discussion and things like literature and lore make sense on the superforum-level, because these are things that often are relevant for all projects. But the claims, in my opinion, should definetively be in the nested subforum.

Griff

Postby Griff » 15 Nov 2014, 00:38

Why not just do it like dark creations with beyond skyrim. And even though i am not keen on the idea I will be sticking around for some time to come.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 15 Nov 2014, 00:42

Worsas wrote:
That mod seems to be pretty much dead and gone.

That is their old forum, though. The newer forum shows posts only dating back to this october.

I believe, it is important that the subforums for the projects are given individual styles. We should try to keep an individual atmosphere for each project.

I originally thought you meant that everything belonging to a project would be nested within the subforum and not immediately on the superforum. General discussion and things like literature and lore make sense on the superforum-level, because these are things that often are relevant for all projects. But the claims, in my opinion, should definetively be in the nested subforum.

I second this for now. I think after we a have this going for a while that claims could be turned into a superforum setup but at least in the initial test run they should be kept apart.
Project Coordinator

James007
Pleb

Postby James007 » 18 Nov 2014, 15:26

It is possible that the two provinces were in one .esm file?

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 18 Nov 2014, 18:31

Yeti wrote:Why include Project Outreach? That mod seems to be pretty much dead and gone.

That is their old forums. Check www.project-tamriel.com
James007 wrote:It is possible that the two provinces were in one .esm file?

Yes its possible, but completely pointless.

James007
Pleb

Postby James007 » 18 Nov 2014, 21:39

Why? ~ 75% of users will install both modifications simultaneously. Both provinces have or will have boloe number of shared resources. And I thought that being in the same file, it will work better.
I'm not about developing, I am about the release.

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 30 Nov 2014, 14:50

Technical reasons more than anything.

Loading multiple smaller mods is better than loading one gigantic one. Especially when it comes to landscape, even more so, textures and vertex painted landscape.

Plus, keeping them separate will make the merge plugin easier to maintain.

James007
Pleb

Postby James007 » 30 Nov 2014, 15:08

But how will work "cross-provinces" quests if they will be?

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 01 Dec 2014, 05:37

We can make another plugin dependent upon the mods for cross-province things.
Project Coordinator

James007
Pleb

Postby James007 » 01 Dec 2014, 13:16

Too many plugins for me :Р
And when, perhaps, will release Elsweyr and high rock, they also require additional plug-ins.
In the end it becomes a hodgepodge.

Spoiler: show
Forgive me please. I'm just nostalgic of old Tamriel Rebild.

SGMonkey

Postby SGMonkey » 12 Dec 2014, 00:04

It's not a matter of personal taste. It's simply not feasible.

If players are given a choice, they can download and merge whatever the hell they want to use.

PreviousNext

Return to P:C Public Discussion