Skyrim and Cyrodiil

Public discussion of the Province: Cyrodiil project.
Yeti
P:C Modder

Re: Skyrim and Cyrodiil

Postby Yeti » 26 Oct 2014, 22:38

In SHotN's back story, Karthwasten was the former capital of The Reach at one point in time (an idea that stems from it being featured on the First PGE map instead of Markarth in the time of Tiber Septim). It definitely ended up a bit bigger than originally planned, but no other city in The Reach will exceed its interior count. Haafingar/Solitude will be the only city in western Skyrim to match its size.

Sasquatch wrote:I'd also argue karthwasten's design is relatively boring, sprawling and flat, even if implementation is good. I see the same has been done here.

Normally I would agree that we should avoid flat city designs, but Karthwasten is specifically characterized as being built on a mesa. The sprawling size is still a bit of problem, I agree.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 26 Oct 2014, 23:11

The scale of cities and settlements will probably benefit from a project merge, but until then it is best discussed in a dedicated topic with the relevant project, I think.

What I'm getting from this discussion is that we need to increase the importance and functionality of the Project Tamriel homepage, merge accounts for P:C and SHotN, make progress of both sites visible (I really like the new and unread posts counter on P:C, which seems absent on SHotN), and allow for a space where shared matters can be discussed.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 27 Oct 2014, 03:33

It more than likely needs to be a new thing, not PT. PT houses stuff that we don't really care about. Just needs to be a dedicated place for both P:C and SHOTN. Portal page, forums for the two and one for the integrated features all with one login and bam, done. Then we won't have to bother about assets sharing either as it will all be one project. Makes things a lot simpler all around.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 27 Oct 2014, 07:29

No offense, SamirA, but I think that reservation against other projects with similar goals to ours, be it Project Outreach or Tamriel Rebuilt, isn't the best way to go about this. It is what hinders fruitful cooperation of projects in the first place, like what we want to do now.

Apart from TR we are all in a similar position in that we are not particularly far at what we're doing (the amount of landmass at SHOTN is very impressive though). In view of this, we could just aswell do our little bit world building in concordance with the smaller and bigger ones around us. I'd rather say let this portalsite be a place for news and updates on any Tamriel project. I'd post news on TR on there aswell, if they are fine with it.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 27 Oct 2014, 08:27

Moving everything to Project Tamriel and having a platform-wide user-database and a proper page for public updates would improve intercooperation and would move us all to a more public place. It would definitely be a good thing and we should do it, if we can.

But I have grown doubtful that it would address the issue I and Scamp have. I hate working on several projects at a time and I don't know if the common platform would really remove the problem altogether. It would ease it, at best, I fear. The fact that the projects will not be one project will eventually cause me to stick to one of the two rather than keeping working on them rotationally. I need to keep a certain balance with RL-shit, as we all have to, and I'm mentally overstrained by this having to look for several projects in my free time. That's just how things look like for me.

Edit:
I think, I already want to withdraw, what I said, again.

Maybe trying to minimize borders between the projects is really the best thing we can do, rather than putting everything in a merging pot. I also believe I should be able to cope with the current state of things, even if it can be straining sometimes in between. Maybe I'll have to look for a special solution anyway. I cannot speak for Scamp, though, because, from what I gathered, he was not particularly happy with the state of things either.

Yeti

Postby Yeti » 27 Oct 2014, 16:16

If the situation is really causing you and Scamp stress, Worsas, perhaps it would be best for the two of you, and others who feel the same way, to pick a project to commit to for at least the next six months or so. By the sound of it, I don't think the fatigue of working on two provinces will dissipate just because one team is working on them at the same place.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 28 Oct 2014, 06:14

I fully support either merging the two projects or uniting them under the Province: Tamriel umbrella. Like Infragris, my interest is primarily with Cyrodiil, but it would be fun to help with lore/art development over there too.

Honestly Worsas, you've definitely taken too much on yourself even just here, if you're trying to do the same thing at SHOTN I'm not surprised you're feeling the strain. We definitely need to bolster our ranks, we should have a full asset development team, not just three people trying to do everything- it's not fair to you guys that everything's been dumped on your shoulders.

To be honest, I would say we need to take this a step further and reach out to Tamriel Rebuilt, which has by far the largest and most productive user base, and see if we can draw in some of their developers. TESRenewal as well, it's a Skyrim project but landscape and interior development is fairly universal across the CS and CK so people may be interested in assisting us in between other projects.

Off topic, but the other big thing I think we should do is see if we could get MK himself interested in the project, as a shout-out from him would be huge for improving visibility for both projects.

DMKW
Pleb

Postby DMKW » 29 Oct 2014, 01:18

Just a long time Lurker here. Would it be crazy to instead just merge SHotN and P:C with Tamriel Rebuilt? Recreating Tamriel was TR's origional goal anyway. And the name makes sense. Its also very widely known. Or maybe thats out of the question? The 3 projects together would make for a very active forum. Just throwing it out there.

roerich

Postby roerich » 29 Oct 2014, 09:34

It would be a good idea in theory, but terrible and tedious to implement. I'm not sure TR would want to either, they have a strong brand and are more well known than SHOTN and P:C. A central portal for all TES province modding would be favorable.

James007
Pleb

Postby James007 » 29 Oct 2014, 11:59

It would be nice if the PC and the whole PT will become a part of TR. Tamriel rebuild much more famous, there comes more people who are helping to build modification. In any case, the TR really was originally anticipated add all Tamriel. Why not go back to this idea? You could be great assistance to TR, and they to you. In addition, many involved in both projects. But perhaps your projects lose the leading role. You will be part of the TR. But I do not see anything wrong with that.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 29 Oct 2014, 12:09

I'm afraid that's not a possibility. TR has a very different culture and way of doing things, and at least some people have explicitly chosen to be a part of SHotN or P:C because they did not feel at home within the TR structure. TR itself is also not likely to accept such a proposition: they have experimented before with having a secondary Hammerfell project running, but it turned out to be too much of a hassle and they shut it down.

Also note that this proposition comes from very specific reasons: ShotN and P:C are in very similar situations, share a lot of people, have a lot of resources in common, and have about the same amount of work left to do. TR shares none of these. As a matter of fact, TR's job is considerably different from ours because they can build on lore and dialogue from the vanilla game, while we have to invent most things ourselves.

James007
Pleb

Postby James007 » 29 Oct 2014, 12:27

I think TR too much does own, not vanila resourses. House Dres and southern Morrowind very different from Vvardenfell, so all resources are doing from scratch.
I do not see differences in your philosophy. You have almost the same goals.
Besides the north-eastern part of the Morrowind borders with Skyrim and Cyrodiil, and is very similar to them. You can help them there.
And in general, I see no reason why you could not agree. Together, you have more chance of success to make the most ambitious modification in the world.

Yeti

Postby Yeti » 29 Oct 2014, 16:31

As a Lead Developer at TR, I can pretty much confirm that we would not want to merge projects. We have a mountain of issues to sort through, and a merge would only complicate them.

James007
Pleb

Postby James007 » 29 Oct 2014, 16:39

Well, maybe someday. I think TR completes its work much faster.

Griff

Postby Griff » 29 Oct 2014, 18:10

I think in time people will start to move over to us there would be no need to merge with tr. plus in my opinion the leadership and way of working over here is such better then tr.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 29 Oct 2014, 23:55

James007 wrote:Well, maybe someday. I think TR completes its work much faster.

Bahahahahahahahahahaha.
Project Coordinator

roerich

Postby roerich » 30 Oct 2014, 09:42

:^)

If TR had been standardized and (master) planned like it is now back when it started, then it probably would have been finished by now. Mind you, that's eleven twelve years ago.

James007
Pleb

Postby James007 » 01 Nov 2014, 00:05

Okay.
I was reminded of the Cold War, for some reason.

Griff

Postby Griff » 01 Nov 2014, 01:02

James stop chatting shiz :lol:
Try Keep this on topic

SGMonkey
P:C Admin

Postby SGMonkey » 12 Nov 2014, 10:02

Morning all.

With regards to merging the two databases, i.e. PC and SHOTN. It's an awkward and lengthy process which will likely have a lot more repercussions than simply hosting the site at http://www.project-tamriel.com. Getting a backup of the SHOTN database and copying it over here would take very little time. It's something I have done a million times.

I had played with the idea of having all the province mods share one central forum when we started. But that would have meant some fancy trickery with merging all the databases again. In hindsight, it would have been easier to do sooner, but I'm pretty sure not all parties involved were interested.

Personally, for now, I think the best thing for SHOTN would be to get it hosted here. (Not to be a dick) The SHOTN site breaks most of the time, cookies not set up correctly, home page non existent, has been "under construction" for as long as I can remember.

I really don't want either projects losing members. If it can be made easier in anyway then I don't mind helping out at all.

Just let me know what you guys need.

EDIT: I could easily set up a new forum for all the projects to share one login and such. But it would mean either merging everything into one database and some rejiggering, or, using a new forum and copying relevant information across by hand.

I will look into merging the two biggest databases, PC and SHOTN. Then we could take it from there i guess. I would still need a copy of the SHOTN database though.

EDIT 2: Not merging with TR....

EDIT 3: I thought it was worth mentioning. If we merge all the PT projects into one forum, it is still possible and easy to have the subdomains link to that projects section on the forum.

EDIT 4:..... *sigh* Last one. PHPBB 3.1 is out. So this would be a nice time to fuck about and see what we can do tidying things up and merging stuff here and there.

PreviousNext

Return to P:C Public Discussion