Imperial Archers

Public discussion of the Province: Cyrodiil project.
Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Imperial Archers

Postby Praedator » 14 Aug 2014, 12:11

Hi all,

Does anyone of you know if Imperial archers in P:C use besides bows also crossbows with bolts?

thx,
Praedator :)

jazzon
Pleb

Re: Imperial Archers

Postby jazzon » 19 Sep 2014, 12:09

Just a passing thought here, but they should, sort of ....

In earths history archers were a very formidable offensive force. And various militaries tried to better that force with crossbows. The drawback was they needed twice as many archers as before because of the longer reload times. The best balance achieved was archers in the field, with some scattered crossbows throughout, and some really light ones for mounted use (far more accurate than a mounted bowman); and crossbowmen as the dominant archer for defense (where they could hide behind battlements while reloading, and have an ungodly range firing from the height of walls).

In my opinion, Cyrodil (being long time focused on imperialistic goals) would have learned these same lessons the same way.
I have been accused of writting walls of text ... this is completely and utterly false!
I have constructed many Great Walls however ....

I do post long things, so I use spoiler tags as condensing blocks. Open at your own risk!

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 19 Sep 2014, 12:22

We got magic though, which is a whole other ballpark. It's why the Battlemages are such a big deal in the east.

Crossbows in Morrowind appear to be a very recent invention, reverse-engineered from older Dwemer examples (which is why they primarily show up in Vvardenfell). This opens up some options: we could have the first experiments and eventual adoption of crossbows be part of the Legion questline, for example.

jazzon
Pleb

Postby jazzon » 19 Sep 2014, 14:13

Excellent point. Magic alters history quite a bit from our "traditional" normal flow. Thinking about from that point, do they have a military purpose? Excellent hunting weapons, but except for a sniper type role would the military even be interested? 50 Guys with bound bows would be a helluva lot more effective...
I have been accused of writting walls of text ... this is completely and utterly false!

I do post long things, so I use spoiler tags as condensing blocks. Open at your own risk!

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 19 Sep 2014, 15:02

There's this gameplay/narrative split where most people do not have the required affinity or capacity to use magic effectively. In a military situation, you want every one of your soldiers to be equally proficient with magic, so that they can act as a whole. The armies of Tamriel haven't really mastered this, and instead rely on single magic-users who provide buffs, shields and other special capacities for large groups of normal soldiers. Not even the Altmer seem capable of fielding large units of wizards. Of course, there is another reason for this: knowledge of magic equals power, just like land or money does. In the way that medieval cavalry was wholly composed of nobility, magic in Cyrodiil's armies seems restricted to the Battlemages.

jazzon
Pleb

Postby jazzon » 19 Sep 2014, 17:32

My point exactly. Magic does not have to be prevalent to make a significant difference. In a major military battle (1000s on the field from both sides) a small number (50 or .05%, or 1 in every 200) would be a huge advantage. And would beat the hell out of crossbows. Not that anyone would find fifty at once without special planning in advance, but that's their problem. If they're gonna dream as big as Tamriel they should learn to plan for it!

But as I said (and you said) magic changes the military development. So my question stands ... would the military even be interested? A mage or two is worth far more to them than the construction and training costs of crossbow armed missile brigade.

(I hate forums. Years of programming and I still spend more time fixing typos than typing messages...)

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 19 Sep 2014, 19:45

Only takes one good crossbow bolt to take down a mage, though. And it costs a lot less to train fifty crossbowmen than to educate one mage.

jazzon
Pleb

Postby jazzon » 20 Sep 2014, 02:36

Hmmmm, true.

That being the case then I suppose the answer to your original question would be a "yes". Strategic value is strategic value. The question then becomes the prevalence of the crossbow instead of the presence of the crossbow.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 20 Sep 2014, 10:58

Xui'al over at Tamriel Rebuilt has written a book on this subject, The True Art of War Majick.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Return to P:C Public Discussion