Only Stirk?

Public discussion of the Province: Cyrodiil project.
Worsas
Asset Manager

Only Stirk?

Postby Worsas » 30 Jan 2014, 22:24

One thing I have thought of lately is that Stirk has been in the making for quite a bit and that an alpha was delivered to people more than a year ago.

When we get to finish interior cells, npcs and quests, but we only deliver the same Stirk people have seen more than a year ago, I wonder if that wouldn't be a plain example of slow progress to people.

So I thought, we may want to spice up the release in some way. Maybe by releasing an alpha of the gold coast area alongside the finished Stirk. Other than that I have big hopes for an overall faster progress in future.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Only Stirk?

Postby SamirA » 30 Jan 2014, 22:37

I expect things to roll along a bit faster as well. As for Stirk, I don't believe we included all of our Abecean Sea (though I could be wrong) so we can add those in though with the Lamia creature still without animation it will be less interesting than it could be. I was planning on releasing another stage once we got interiors done just as an update, but yes an alpha of the Anvil release would be something nice to get done at the same time as a full Stirk.
Project Coordinator

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 31 Jan 2014, 00:24

I am not sure if I like this. What's wrong with the old plan? NPCs and quests should be enough to satisfy people even if they know the island already.

Releasing the Anvil map as an alpha will create a vicious circle. Once we are done NPCing Anvil, someone will come up and say: "Oh boy, people know the Anvil map already, let's release the Colovian Highlands as an alpha" and so on. I think we should get this one release out there (being just Stirk) and after that it'll roll along, as SamirA has said.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 31 Jan 2014, 05:50

Well, I mean, I had planned on doing an Alpha of each region/release because it generates interest. That doesn't mean to send it out if it isn't ready simply because we released something else, but I do think Alphas help to generate more interest and hopefully more help.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 31 Jan 2014, 17:16

It was only a thought. Alpha Releases are a good thing because withholding newly created content will only make us miss on people that would catch fire if they were only able to run around the landscape a bit (and it would, more importantly, lengthen the delay between releases). The fact that I was able to run around exterior landscape at the SHOTN-project was one of the things that really made fun to me and it is no different with P:C.

With an alpha we signalise that there has been progress.

jazzon
Pleb

Postby jazzon » 17 Sep 2014, 04:00

Okay, this thread is a little old, and I am definitely new here, but for what it is worth, here's my two cents worth.
Pros:
1) Alpha releases of anything show John Q Public that something is happening;
2) The more people become aware of your project (like me today), the more input and potential help you will get;
3) People who play alpha releases tend to be modders, and hard core players who know that feedback to the developers helps to speed things along in the process;
4) (And this is game / world specific) Most long term players of the TES line have been seriously disheartened by the fact that Bethesda left the other provinces out each game since TES III. Besides the TR team, no one else has shown a real drive to do this. If you guys jump on the band wagon now (especially in view of the TES Anthology release) you could fire up a lot of people / things / mods / interest.

Cons:
1) Alphas are incomplete, and many people don't read the "Alpha Disclaimer" and "Please Give Us Feedback" notes. Thus if an Alpha is released to early, your reputation tanks;
2) Some people who play alphas (many actually) develop a(n) love/affinity for certain areas and things; and if you change them later due to design or planning goal changes, they get p****d off at you like this was their mod and not yours;
3) Alphas also build up level of quality expectations. People expect to see much improvement between releases. What would happen if your main 3d modeler quit? Or your best texture person? God help you if quality suffered between the alpha and beta releases.

Personally:
I've played TES games since Arena was new. I used to mod (for my own use) Morrowind when it was new. Its hard, but almost anything can be accomplished. I even tried to do what you folks are doing, and found a way to change world maps that included the ditching of all other running mods as my world loaded so no scripts got wonky. (I was fool enough to try to do it all myself, so you can imagine how far I got...)

My vote would be for Alphas to be released as frequently as possible. That way people would see how much you are changing things between releases (and get used to it), and see progress as it is made. Also if your art is good, and your 3d is good, people will eagerly await each new release. I haven't even finished a first read through of the forums yet, or got anything downloaded or installed, and just from the screenshots / intelligent discussions in the forums I'm all for this project.

Get people in the door, then worry about keeping them.

[end two cents]
I have been accused of writting walls of text ... this is completely and utterly false!
I have constructed many Great Walls however ....

I do post long things, so I use spoiler tags as condensing blocks. Open at your own risk!

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 17 Sep 2014, 13:29

Hey,

thanks for the input! I do agree releasing Alphas is the way to go. The original issue of this thread wasn't really whether or not to release Alphas, but rather whether we should include Gold Coast areas in our next Alpha. I still think it'd have to be discussed further.

It's always a matter of how much time you want to spend on this hobby. Unfortunately, it's often not possible to go by the golden rule of releasing more things to attract modders if there simply isn't anything new to show off because most of us don't have the time for it.

Anyway, I do want to believe that most people interested right now will still be interested in a couple years, lol. At least that's the way I see it.

That said, we should give Stirk a major update with the rest of the Abecean sea, NPCs and all interiors. Like I said, I'm still unsure about including any Gold Coast stuff here, to some extend that is because it would distract from the actual Stirk island and get people hyped up for something that's not gonna be out there in a finalized version for a long time if we don't speed things up.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 17 Sep 2014, 14:53

Let's get Stirk out of the door, I'd say. After that we could look about releasing an alpha of the gold coast if Anvil takes very long.

Return to P:C Public Discussion