Anvil Main Quest - Ideas & Brainstorming

Quests given by people in the Cold Coast Region.
TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Anvil Main Quest - Ideas & Brainstorming

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 26 Apr 2013, 17:14

I thought we should collate all our ideas for the Anvil MQ into thread for easy access and for discussion.

Already Agreed
1) The questline will include pirates.
2) There will be a ship battle with explosions and stuff.
3) Possibly a pirate attack on Anvil?

A few thoughts I had
1) Competition between the EEC and independent merchants. I imagine that many merchants resent the EEC because it has a state-sponsored monopoly on the trade in Dwemer goods, ebony etc.
2) Perhaps merchants like the son of Theseus Caperno are prepared to use dubious methods to get an advantage?
3) Or perhaps the EEC is organising the pirates to drive small merchants out of business and increase its stranglehold on trade?

One thing I'm not sure about is including factions in a MQ, especially if there's going to be the option to take different sides.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Re: Anvil Main Quest - Ideas & Brainstorming

Postby Tarius » 26 Apr 2013, 19:13

Well I wanted something like this to be in the main quest for Stirk,(the large battle overtaking the town etc) but everyone was like, no, thats too much! Makes more sense for Stirk though because the people would be uprising and its smaller, not a major port.

Anyway, to the topic at hand.
Yea, I think it need to be something involving commerce.

I would pick #3 there. They are using pirates to prey on the smaller businesses.
1. I would have a couple different levels here. One, the basic, go in and investigate, stop the pirates, get reward, quest done. This would have an effect of strengthened business for the small guys; whatever effect that could have on pricing I guess.
2. Branching from that, should the PC take the right/different path, they will find out the pirates are actually working for someone. The PC could choose, in this case, to either side with the EEC for whatever benefits, or, to side with the small businesses. The end result could be the same for both with the pirates being wiped out, or perhaps siding with the EEC means the pirate presence stays. The effect of siding with the EEC would mean they have a further hold on trade, whatever those side effects might be. Siding with the small businesses would mean the EEC's hold is significantly weakened as evidence is brought to bear against them. This would mean other effects, whatever those might be.
Stemming from this, depending on how far the PC goes or who they sided with would cause other quests to become available elsewhere as people would "hear" what happened.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 26 Apr 2013, 20:29

Here's my thoughts:

When you go to stop the pirates, you should find a letter of marque on the captain's corpse, issued by the Emperor to raid ships belonging to the Maormer and rogue elements in the Summerset Isles (the Beautiful, maybe?). In the privateer base, however, you find elven contraband and captives with evidence that the privateers/pirates been planting them on innocent merchant ships in order to justify attacking them and stealing their cargo. You can also find evidence that implicates the EEC in coordinating these efforts, although that would be much more carefully hidden and secure (a secret chest with a master level lock, or something).

There are three branches that the quest can take from here. If you just wipe out the pirates, the Legion will arrest you for murdering lawful allies of the Empire (forcing you to pay a fine or go to jail), but the citizens of Anvil will be grateful to you and you'll still get a reward from them. If you wipe out the pirates and discover the evidence that they were attacking Anvil merchants, the Legion will thank you for rooting out this abuse of their privileges under the law, and you'll get the same reward from the Anvil citizens as in the first option. And if you wipe out the pirates, discover the evidence of their corruption, AND find the evidence that they were convinced to start attacking merchants by the EEC, the effect is the same as the second option, as well as starting a second quest to weaken the EEC in the region or go to them and help them tighten their grip on the Abacean Sea (maybe this could be the introductory quest to join the faction, similar to the quest Innocence Lost in Skyrim with the Dark Brotherhood.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 27 Apr 2013, 00:07

Saint_Jiub wrote:Here's my thoughts:

When you go to stop the pirates, you should find a letter of marque on the captain's corpse, issued by the Emperor to raid ships belonging to the Maormer and rogue elements in the Summerset Isles (the Beautiful, maybe?). In the privateer base, however, you find elven contraband and captives with evidence that the privateers/pirates been planting them on innocent merchant ships in order to justify attacking them and stealing their cargo. You can also find evidence that implicates the EEC in coordinating these efforts, although that would be much more carefully hidden and secure (a secret chest with a master level lock, or something).

There are three branches that the quest can take from here. If you just wipe out the pirates, the Legion will arrest you for murdering lawful allies of the Empire (forcing you to pay a fine or go to jail), but the citizens of Anvil will be grateful to you and you'll still get a reward from them. If you wipe out the pirates and discover the evidence that they were attacking Anvil merchants, the Legion will thank you for rooting out this abuse of their privileges under the law, and you'll get the same reward from the Anvil citizens as in the first option. And if you wipe out the pirates, discover the evidence of their corruption, AND find the evidence that they were convinced to start attacking merchants by the EEC, the effect is the same as the second option, as well as starting a second quest to weaken the EEC in the region or go to them and help them tighten their grip on the Abacean Sea (maybe this could be the introductory quest to join the faction, similar to the quest Innocence Lost in Skyrim with the Dark Brotherhood.

I think endings need a little more differentiation than that.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 27 Apr 2013, 01:54

Saint_Jiub wrote:Here's my thoughts:

I like this idea, but the alternative ending feels a little bland.

I'm actually keen for us to not take a pirate centered quest route for Anvil. Definitely for Stirk and small quests along the coast, but Anvil should be different: it's the main military hub for the Imperial Navy. It's the one place in Tamriel you wouldn't want to raid cargo ships.
So seeing as we can have pirates in other place, but not the imperial fleet, I feel like we should stick to the Navy as much as possible, and away from Pirates and the EEC (which will be a faction). It would certainly show the true strength of the Imperials.

Pirates will obviously still be there, but they'll only be a minor set back. Instead, quests could include Tarius' plague ship, pea-cocking with the Redguards, diplomacy, etc.

And I would like see Anvil get raised towards the end...

Actually... I feel a story growing in my brain... brb.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 27 Apr 2013, 02:57

Wollibeebee wrote:Actually... I feel a story growing in my brain... brb.

Its growing in your brain? Hmm, better get that removed asap before it causes symptoms of distraction etc.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 27 Apr 2013, 03:04

Tarius wrote:
Wollibeebee wrote:Actually... I feel a story growing in my brain... brb.

Its growing in your brain? Hmm, better get that removed asap before it causes symptoms of distraction etc.

Ha, I was about to post "is it kind of ironic that I became distracted and began to work on the claim map?" but I decided not to, and to continue writing the locations on a new layer. The first one I did was called Fort Irony... Completely by coincidence.

Odd.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 27 Apr 2013, 04:30

It would be nice to see a true imperial naval presence. I have an imperial emblazoned sail texture I released some time back.
I would also like to see something more with the excise section of the census and excise offices.

Particularly true excisemen hunting smugglers. With a fast sloop style ship. MJY once made a sloop model. But like most of his stuff, the uv'ing truly sucks.
Paladin of Vaermina

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 27 Apr 2013, 06:38

Rattfink333 wrote:It would be nice to see a true imperial naval presence. I have an imperial emblazoned sail texture I released some time back.
I would also like to see something more with the excise section of the census and excise offices.

Particularly true excisemen hunting smugglers. With a fast sloop style ship. MJY once made a sloop model. But like most of his stuff, the uv'ing truly sucks.

I gave a copy of it to SamirA when I retextured the ships. I think there might be a few meshes using it in the data, not 100% sure.

My biggest concern is separating the ECC from the navy, without it being awkwardly similar. Which is why I'd like only one to have a major appearance of pirates.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 27 Apr 2013, 16:09

The navy is total military. I don't think the EEC would have any direct influece over them. And I am sure they would look down on 'merchies'

we could have alot of that in dialog. And since you are making anvil, you could set it up so the military has thier own docks distinctly seperated from the rest. Which is usually the case in the real world.

Could have it so the local naval commander is the one that gives you the quest for the plague ship, And to show the influence of the navy there. The healer priest could have been 'volunteered' at his 'request'

Instead of having the EEC mixed in with pirates. We could have them somehwhat involved with a smuggling ring. Because some of the members wanted to pad thier profits.
Paladin of Vaermina

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 30 Apr 2013, 15:42

Only thing I'm particularly concerned with is whether or not we're going to be including my idea to have an epic cavern with a Petra-style Ayleid ruins built into the rock face like we'd discussed possibly doing with Stirk.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 30 Apr 2013, 18:09

DJGamer wrote:Only thing I'm particularly concerned with is whether or not we're going to be including my idea to have an epic cavern with a Petra-style Ayleid ruins built into the rock face like we'd discussed possibly doing with Stirk.

This should likely be done up in the mountains or something. There simply isnt enough space on the coast.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 30 Apr 2013, 23:29

Tarius wrote:
DJGamer wrote:Only thing I'm particularly concerned with is whether or not we're going to be including my idea to have an epic cavern with a Petra-style Ayleid ruins built into the rock face like we'd discussed possibly doing with Stirk.

This should likely be done up in the mountains or something. There simply isnt enough space on the coast.

Agreed, it would be a lot easier on the border between GC and CH, than in GC.

Return to Gold Coast