Door scripts

Need a script? Discuss them here.
Tarius
Head of Modelling

Door scripts

Postby Tarius » 30 Apr 2013, 21:48

Ok, I was finally looking further into actual implementation of the sliding iron ayleid gate.
I see somewhat of a problem here. Unless I am mistaken, every single gate would need its own ID and script. Based on the number of Ayleid ruins about, this could mean we would easily end up with 50-100 separate door IDs plus a seperate script to operate each switch for each door.

Further, this doesnt even touch on the fact that various other things like the secret walls also would need their own scripts plus the fact that covers for varla stones have switches to raise them etc. We end up talking about alot of scripts simply for activating things. Say an average of 3-4 activating things per ruin and we end up with 200 scripts and seperate IDs for this stuff.

So my question is, does this really matter? or is it "full steam ahead"?
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Door scripts

Postby SamirA » 30 Apr 2013, 21:58

Why could they not simply be given an animation?
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 30 Apr 2013, 22:59

SamirA wrote:Why could they not simply be given an animation?

This is in regards to a switch operating something. I assume that if we simply have something activated directly, as in someone going up to it and clicking, than that would cut down on scripts and IDs because it would simply make that particular animation play. Doing this cuts any of the challenge out of getting through doors or getting varla stones though.
The problem is that a switch has to point to a particular ID and, I assume, there is no way to differentiate one cell from another when it comes to the switches?
If someone knows more on this, they could tell us about if its possible to have the switches in one cell not effect stuff in another without 50 different IDs. In otherwords, the switch scripts would be confined to(and only effect) that particular cell so than we would only need a half dozen at most.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 30 Apr 2013, 23:05

So, what if switches were part of the door mesh? Is it possible to differentiate that spot as what is clickable? Maybe it takes some CS wizardry I don't know I'm just throwing out an idea.

I don't think the switches are a necessary item if this is too hard to accomplish.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 30 Apr 2013, 23:28

An option could be that we make simpler puzzles, (ie: open the right box...) to receive special objects that act as keys, which will open the doors.

Maybe PM Abot at bethesda and ask for some input from him?

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 01 May 2013, 04:23

Wollibeebee wrote:An option could be that we make simpler puzzles, (ie: open the right box...) to receive special objects that act as keys, which will open the doors.

Maybe PM Abot at bethesda and ask for some input from him?

Thats the thing though, it would still use a script attached to something.(forget if you would need a sperate ID for the object the script is on though)

SamirA wrote:So, what if switches were part of the door mesh? Is it possible to differentiate that spot as what is clickable? Maybe it takes some CS wizardry I don't know I'm just throwing out an idea.

I don't think the switches are a necessary item if this is too hard to accomplish.

I thought about that, but then that introduces the problem that they would likely need to be in the same place very close by every time so they werent floating somewhere. Limits where you can put them.

Really, this is just about numbers, its not that hard to add another door ID and script in. If the only problem is going to be cluttering up the object list, than that likely isnt much of a problem? Scripts on the other hand, I am not sure what effect so many door scripts will have, but I assume that in the case of non-global scripts, they wouldnt become active until you were in the cell with them?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 01 May 2013, 16:52

I know it limits where you can put them, but for 99% of the door wouldn't they only need to be in the same place? They doors only fit in specific places.
Project Coordinator

evercharmer
P:C Modder

Postby evercharmer » 02 May 2013, 06:02

I don't know if it's possible to do, but can you make a script that unlocks a door and takes the key for it (and no longer runs when the door is unlocked)? If that can be done you could have a few generic Ayleid key items that correspond to the doors, and when they use them the door is unlocked to be opened and closed and the key is gone. It would look different, but you could still do the same sort of puzzle that requires finding the right thing to open the gates.

You'd still need multiple kinds of keys (and preferably multiple door types that indicate what sort of key makes it work), and when designing the ruins with puzzles requiring multiple gates you'd have to pay special attention to what doors and keys are in use for your puzzles so that the player can't circumvent them, but if this can in fact be done I think you could do some pretty cool things with it.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 02 May 2013, 18:06

evercharmer wrote:I don't know if it's possible to do, but can you make a script that unlocks a door and takes the key for it (and no longer runs when the door is unlocked)? If that can be done you could have a few generic Ayleid key items that correspond to the doors, and when they use them the door is unlocked to be opened and closed and the key is gone. It would look different, but you could still do the same sort of puzzle that requires finding the right thing to open the gates.

You'd still need multiple kinds of keys (and preferably multiple door types that indicate what sort of key makes it work), and when designing the ruins with puzzles requiring multiple gates you'd have to pay special attention to what doors and keys are in use for your puzzles so that the player can't circumvent them, but if this can in fact be done I think you could do some pretty cool things with it.

No, this is exactly like the switch.

Ok, so I guess I will ask about running scripts. If having a long list of door IDs isnt a problem, and the scripts dont bog anything down, than we should be able to do this.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 03 May 2013, 00:55

Ok, so abot says that the scripts shouldnt cause any problems. The worst that will come from this is a really long list in the CS. I think we can procede.

Return to Scripting