Farms ?

Submit meshes and textures you would like to be added to PC Data.
Griff
P:C Modder

Farms ?

Postby Griff » 24 Feb 2013, 22:16

Is there going to be more farms around then in Oblivion. That was one of the things that really confused me how did they feed all of cyrodiil on just a hand full of tiny farms.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Farms ?

Postby SamirA » 24 Feb 2013, 22:24

Yes, especially in Nibenay there will be large plantations.

However, Cyrodiil being the trade capital they also rely on imports for food as well.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 24 Feb 2013, 22:27

SamirA wrote:Yes, especially in Nibenay there will be large plantations.

However, Cyrodiil being the trade capital they also rely on imports for food as well.

I also imagine well have more animal farms in north gc and the west Weald as colovia Has a big hide industry.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 24 Feb 2013, 22:28

Certainly, though we still need to nail down our fauna issue.
Project Coordinator

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 25 Feb 2013, 14:56

Hmm... indeed, I suppose we should be adding some more farms in the Gold Coast. Could have some around Brina Cross, for instance. And there's still a lot of space to fill in the rest of the Northern GC.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 26 Mar 2013, 08:50

Alright, seeing as I have two farms in the works, and we're likely to fill this area with farms: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23627856/Cyrod ... 20area.JPG I reckon it's time I ask a few things:

What tileset should we use? Roll like the Colovains, and use the Colovian Highlands? The upper class common tileset from vanilla (I'd image farmers are pretty rich), or the Anvil buildings? (not a fan of this, to be honest), or SWG farm houses? (They're cool, but they don't completely fit the atmosphere we've been creating.

Also, as the main farms in Colovia deal in hides (and everything else from cows) we're going to need some tanning things, like the guar skin stretchers in Morrowind. (I really don't know the right words here.) So we'll need at least 2 cows, and a bull. It might be easier to make these first, so the skin textures on the stretchers match the actual skin on the animals.

Also, there's a few plants that still need modeling for the farms:
Blackberry Bush, Grapes, potato, pumpkin, radish, strawberry, tomato, tobacco.

Then there's a few things in here that we'll need:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=816
Namely the wheelbarrow

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 26 Mar 2013, 17:08

Well I don't think you'll need to match the textures for the tanning racks. cow hides are usually stipped of fur. Now if we have trappers. We would need small furred racks for the finer pelts that they catch, fox, beaver, bear, and even rabbit.
Paladin of Vaermina

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 26 Mar 2013, 21:11

How about instead of those standard type plants, we do something different. Like maybe combining radishs and tomatos. Unless of course the plants are specifically mentioned somewhere.
How about Tomacco? haha (It tastes like grandma... Your right, it does taste like grandma, we'll take 4 bushels! haha)
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 26 Mar 2013, 22:01

Rattfink333 wrote:Well I don't think you'll need to match the textures for the tanning racks. cow hides are usually stipped of fur. Now if we have trappers. We would need small furred racks for the finer pelts that they catch, fox, beaver, bear, and even rabbit.

Oh, I thought the skin was stretched and left to dried for a few days so that the fur could be removed?

Also, the fur is kept on sometimes, or must be, considering that bit of leopard skin on the female imperial armor... damnit...

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 27 Mar 2013, 00:01

furs like leopard are tanned with the fur on. Cowhide is usually scraped bare.
Paladin of Vaermina

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 27 Mar 2013, 12:20

I would honestly expect to see the palm-thatch-covered buildings. Farmers would be the first people to use these natural resources in their environment. I might model you a barn too and I will look about providing those other outside-objects.

As for crops, I'm thinking about sturdy rice variant (Stone rice?) and grapes. I'm not sure about strawberries, pumpkin and radish close to the equator. Other than that, I would use plants that are generally seen around the gold coast.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 27 Mar 2013, 22:58

Worsas wrote:I would honestly expect to see the palm-thatch-covered buildings. Farmers would be the first people to use these natural resources in their environment. I might model you a barn too and I will look about providing those other outside-objects.

As for crops, I'm thinking about sturdy rice variant (Stone rice?) and grapes. I'm not sure about strawberries, pumpkin and radish close to the equator. Other than that, I would use plants that are generally seen around the gold coast.

A barn or stable would be good. And you make a good point about the plants, I wouldn't mind seeing strawberries both wild plants, and garden plants.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 29 Mar 2013, 23:53

Wollibeebee wrote:
Worsas wrote:I would honestly expect to see the palm-thatch-covered buildings. Farmers would be the first people to use these natural resources in their environment. I might model you a barn too and I will look about providing those other outside-objects.

A barn or stable would be good. And you make a good point about the plants, I wouldn't mind seeing strawberries both wild plants, and garden plants.

Are you sure, strawberries are a good idea at all?

Whatever the case may be... I have modelled you this barn. I hope you like it. :haveanicecream:
Attachments
pc_ex_gc_barn1.7z
(19.27 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Last edited by Worsas on 01 Apr 2013, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 30 Mar 2013, 06:39

Seems kinda out of place when next to the houses. I know, use slanted stone walls for the base.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 31 Mar 2013, 15:56

*phew* You don't need to use it. I'm not really capable to do halfway decent modelling these days. I wished I could help but... crap.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 31 Mar 2013, 18:47

We need mushroom farms! I mean geeze, theres all these mushyrooms everywhere but none of them are used as food?! This is outrageous!

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 01 Apr 2013, 05:19

Ehh, I like it.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 01 Apr 2013, 11:35

Tarius wrote:We need mushroom farms! I mean geeze, theres all these mushyrooms everywhere but none of them are used as food?! This is outrageous!

I would be worried if there were mushrooms to be seen outside of caves. The gold coast looks pretty dry to me. (though wet-dry in lore (which maybe justifies the green bits))

@Wolli: If you like the barn, give it a try. If you notice that it cannot be put right into the scenery, do not hesitate to scrap it and use something different instead.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 01 Apr 2013, 14:04

Worsas wrote:
Tarius wrote:We need mushroom farms! I mean geeze, theres all these mushyrooms everywhere but none of them are used as food?! This is outrageous!

I would be worried if there were mushrooms to be seen outside of caves. The gold coast looks pretty dry to me. (though wet-dry in lore (which maybe justifies the green bits))

@Wolli: If you like the barn, give it a try. If you notice that it cannot be put right into the scenery, do not hesitate to scrap it and use something different instead.

They could be in natural caves or in buildings made to mimic a cave, that is dark and damp.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 01 Apr 2013, 16:13

How about this?

The 'Spikey Rice', the smaller, sturdier cousin of the nibenese rice.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/spikey-rice.jpg

Next

Return to Models & Textures