[WIP]Gold Coast Shacks

Submit meshes and textures you would like to be added to PC Data.
Worsas
Asset Manager

Re: [WIP]Gold Coast Shacks

Postby Worsas » 13 Jan 2013, 20:04

I wonder if I should make this set circumpass our version of the "nord"-houses? It's already on a good way there, I think.

MoonAndStar
P:C Reviewer

Postby MoonAndStar » 13 Jan 2013, 20:11

I certainly think this could replace the vanilla "nord" houses. Finding houses identical to ones on the other end of Tamriel is kind of off-putting.

StoneFrog
P:C Modder

Postby StoneFrog » 13 Jan 2013, 20:42

Worsas wrote:Googling for stone hovel, I found this, which is also nice:
http://www.colourbox.com/preview/400002 ... hangar.jpg

I like that greatly. Definitely would work well in a sort of arid hilly/chaparral area as one would find in Colovia. Reminds me of the sorts of structures you'd see in early 90's RPGs, more distinctive and clearly derived from photographic references (such as, well, this one) or particular structures than the more stock designs often created in newer games strictly from the stereotypical and iconic in the public memory.

I think that with the proper materials, wooden shacks more akin to Oblivion's could still work quite well. The hunched construction of the Morrowind shacks I feel to be more fitting in damp and wet areas, but I think they look a bit too weather-resistant to be in areas closer to Hammerfell and Skyrim.

Here's an example of the more upright, conventional style of shack which I feel could work well in drier areas. I imagine they'd work well in villages or in the outskirts of cities, where many of these buildings are impromptu. Farms would probably be more likely to have more permanent structures such as stone hovels and silos.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 13 Jan 2013, 20:59

Yes Worsas, this set could be used to replace all use of the vanilla nord sets. It shows similarities yet it is different being built of different resources as they are the cheaper homes and would not be made of imported materials in Morrowind while the com set remains consistent across both as they are built from the same stock.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 13 Jan 2013, 21:33

SamirA wrote:Yes Worsas, this set could be used to replace all use of the vanilla nord sets. It shows similarities yet it is different being built of different resources as they are the cheaper homes and would not be made of imported materials in Morrowind while the com set remains consistent across both as they are built from the same stock.

I agree Samira. It would be odd, if Morrowind was the only province with that particular medieval building-style.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 13 Jan 2013, 23:01

Those. Those there are nice looking. I would make the stone texture a bit rougher looking though(a sharpen on it would probably work). The roof texture strikes me as far too low rez though and needs work.

When I was thinking of hovels, I was thinking of those from the game Caesar 3; the ones posted are basically the same and look pretty good.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 14 Jan 2013, 02:04

The roof texture is 512x512. 1024x1024 seemed excessive for a detail like that.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 14 Jan 2013, 02:23

It is, the issue with that texture is simply that it deosn't feel right. Palm is still a good idea just needs to look more like what it is.

http://www.reciprocityimages.com/archiv ... 1309513523 this is a good look, something like this.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 14 Jan 2013, 03:57

With the texture, just make sure it appears like the palm is sized correctly. In otherwords, it doesnt appear too large or too small for coming from a palm tree.
I am thinking about doing one myself, but became sidetracked while looking for suitable material.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 14 Jan 2013, 16:29

One variant with a nord-style upper story. I've been taking a little bit orientation on the ravenrock-buildings.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/colhut_wood.jpg

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 14 Jan 2013, 20:38

Worsas wrote:One variant with a nord-style upper story. I've been taking a little bit orientation on the ravenrock-buildings.

I like that alot. Especially the use of that wood texture. One thing though, I think a wooden roof would fit that better than a thatched roof.
Another idea, physical roof mesh. Instead of just slapping a texture on a flat plane, have actual mesh boards that overlap(the boards would be laid horizontal and stretch from one side of the roof to the other) to make the roof. While this would increase poly numbers, having a dozen or two dozen just straight planks as the roofing would still be plenty feasible without being overkill.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 14 Jan 2013, 20:58

My thought is that we should stick to a similar look in terms of mesh detail as the vanilla buildings since we'll be using those too.

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 14 Jan 2013, 21:01

Tarius wrote:
Worsas wrote:One variant with a nord-style upper story. I've been taking a little bit orientation on the ravenrock-buildings.

I like that alot. Especially the use of that wood texture. One thing though, I think a wooden roof would fit that better than a thatched roof.
Another idea, physical roof mesh. Instead of just slapping a texture on a flat plane, have actual mesh boards that overlap(the boards would be laid horizontal and stretch from one side of the roof to the other) to make the roof. While this would increase poly numbers, having a dozen or two dozen just straight planks as the roofing would still be plenty feasible without being overkill.

I like the thatch, and I don't think a wooden roof would look good. (I'm assume when you say wooden you mean something like shingles?)

If it only takes a bit of tweeking on the Raven Rock buildings, we could have them pretty quickly, which would be great for my 2 farm claims. :D

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 14 Jan 2013, 21:40

Wollibeebee wrote:I like the thatch, and I don't think a wooden roof would look good. (I'm assume when you say wooden you mean something like shingles?)

If it only takes a bit of tweeking on the Raven Rock buildings, we could have them pretty quickly, which would be great for my 2 farm claims. :D

I mean singular horizontal wooden shingles. Not like standard ones, these would have entire boards used as shingles where these large "shingles" would have maybe no more than a dozen or something on one side of a roof.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 14 Jan 2013, 23:58

Tarius, the thatch-roof does not look as bad from other perspectives. I do think actually that it kinda supports the lower-class quality the building is supposed to have. The thatch-texture as such is still up for discussion, though. If St. Jiub wants to provide a new one, he is welcomed to do so.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/strawroof.jpg

@Jiub: If you want to do that, I will let you have my most recent stuff to play around with.

That house with wooden-upperstory is only some thing I got sidetracked into. I will keep it though for the sake of variety while working further with the roundish houses.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 15 Jan 2013, 00:29

Please do! I can see their point about the roof and I'm happy to see what I can come up with.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 15 Jan 2013, 00:59

I agree that thatch is the way to go, but we were aiming for it to be more of a palm thatch and right now it just isn't doing the trick for me. The rest of this idea is coming along nicely.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 15 Jan 2013, 01:09

Okay
Attachments
colovian-hut.7z
(4.86 MiB) Downloaded 51 times

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 15 Jan 2013, 01:33

Okay, I think I overdid it with the contrast/darkness a little bit on this one, but how's this for a first draft? http://i.imgur.com/bb4g0.jpg

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 15 Jan 2013, 01:39

That is getting somewhere. Much closer to what I expected when we started talking palms!
Project Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Models & Textures