[WIP]Gold Coast Shacks

Submit meshes and textures you would like to be added to PC Data.
Worsas
Asset Manager

Re: [WIP]Gold Coast Shacks

Postby Worsas » 26 Jan 2013, 11:45

I have gone ahead and posted the link on the officials.

Who has the original pc_gc_shack_thatch texture in non-dds format. I am going to do work on it and make a pc_gc_shack_thatch_strip so the edges arnt as blocky and are sharper like palm leaves are sharp.
Or you can do that yourself if you wish.

You only have to copy the uppermost 512*128-Fraction of pc_gc_shack_thatch.dds to get what you need to work off.

These are great Worsas, I don't know why you doubt yourself so much.

Modelling is an area where people have high expectations. And in most cases when I submit a set of models I know I could have done more to it. At some point I will simply want to get rid of a batch of models.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 26 Jan 2013, 15:20

Wrong thread at the officials though :P

But don't worry.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 26 Jan 2013, 21:50

Saint_Jiub wrote:
Tarius wrote:Who has the original pc_gc_shack_thatch texture in non-dds format. I am going to do work on it and make a pc_gc_shack_thatch_strip so the edges arnt as blocky and are sharper like palm leaves are sharp.
Or you can do that yourself if you wish.

I never made a non-DDS version, I work in that format so I can easily check how it looks on the mesh as I go.

It's uncompressed though, if that helps.

What?! The entire point of dds is the compression!(aside from maybe mipmaps) If you are going to work with uncompressed dds files, you might as well just work with tga or something. Anyway, if they are uncompressed, than I can work with that because compression will cause worsening conditions as I assume you know.

You only have to copy the uppermost 512*128-Fraction of pc_gc_shack_thatch.dds to get what you need to work off.

I do realize this.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 27 Jan 2013, 02:25

Ok, here are textures.

I did a subtle change on the main one so just use both.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22081676/thatch.zip
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 18 Apr 2013, 20:22

So...

I am gonna cause a shitstorm because of this, but I have a bit of criticism regarding these "shacks" or houses.

They are too big. They look off.

Let me show you a picture. Nobody has to agree here, but this is what the house looks like in comparison to a standard two story (!) Colovian house.
You might notice I said two story. This is what really makes this house look a bit weird next to those vanilla ones. The way it's designed it seems to be one story and a roof. If I am wrong here, feel free to correct me. And it's still as big, if not bigger than the two-story house. Say whatever you want, it just doesn't look right.
Maybe take a look at this one. I imagine it should rather be at this size.

They look great on their own, sure. Once you place them next to the other buildings though it just looks off.
Just my opinion. I suggest we should scale those down a bit. I could of course just use the CS scaling function but that could cause more trouble than it's worth when trying to maintain consistency. If this causes any kind of inconvenience though I'll just scale them down in the CS. If everyone's against me on this matter I'll just not touch the size at all.

Edit: If this doesn't convince anyone, take a look at this as well. Apparently Worsas was inspired by the ex_nord vanilla houses. At 0.75, the GC houses would be roughly the same size.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 18 Apr 2013, 20:50

I agree with you Scamp, I hadn't realised how big they were in comparison to other buildings.

Thanks for pointing this out.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 18 Apr 2013, 23:01

It's strange. I originally worked off the vanilla nord houses and I don't remember increasing the scale of anything. Of course they are too big.

I guess that I have imported the vanilla houses with 10.0 scale correction and accidently exported the new houses with 12.80 scale correction. I sometimes switch between these two. (in that case ~0,78 would have been the original scale) But it's only a guess. Whatever the case may be, these can be scaled down in 5 minutes.:D

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 18 Apr 2013, 23:46

I have decreased the scale of anything (houses, doors, windows, planks etc) including the barn to 0.75 now.

The doors may seem a bit small now, but they are still passable and keeping the scale of the doorframes and doors at 1.0 would have looked weird. Let me know if these serve your needs now.

Edit: If any of these objects have been placed around yet, remember to fix them after the replacement.
Attachments
resized.7z
(200.64 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 19 Apr 2013, 00:16

I'll install this right away. Which folder do I place the barn? (or is it currently not a part of the bsa?)

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 19 Apr 2013, 13:38

Thanks a lot, Worsas. Glad to see we could sort this out without any trouble.

Previous

Return to Models & Textures