Beer, Wine and Liquer bottles (WIP)

Submit meshes and textures you would like to be added to PC Data.
Kiteflyer61
P:C Modder

Beer, Wine and Liquer bottles (WIP)

Postby Kiteflyer61 » 28 Jun 2012, 17:54

Hey guys.

Just a quick model for a beer bottle.

http://www.tesvskyrim.com/screenshot-1023-1

Opinions on the shape and texture would be nice. :D

Also, if anyone can tell me where the texture is going weird, I'm all ears. It has the mesh of the glass set to .75 alpha, but there are some strange things going on with the texture that I don't know how to fix. :( If you load the model in nifskope, you'll see what I mean. Portions of the texture are working perfectly and other parts seem to be reversed or something. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. :D

kb_beer_btl_brwn_01.zip
Textures need to be in Textures\kb\ to work. :D
(59.18 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

Textures need to be in Textures\kb\ to work.

KF
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Beer, Wine and Liquer bottles (WIP)

Postby SamirA » 28 Jun 2012, 18:09

Shape is fine, but yeah textures is... weird. You might avoid the transparency thing. Often transparent glass ends up looking quite odd in game.
Project Coordinator

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 28 Jun 2012, 18:47

I'd tend to think that one would have a small jug handle on one side right up near the lips for holding while drinking. And the texture looks a little too new. Maybe an older brown glass color with chips in it.
Paladin of Vaermina

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 28 Jun 2012, 19:36

Getting rid of stencil fixed it. However, I assume you wanted stencil to make the glass more "murky". Getting rid of stencil also made the inside much more noticable than it should be.
Upon taking a closer look, I noticed a few vertices that were not merged. This could be causing the problem.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Kiteflyer61

Postby Kiteflyer61 » 29 Jun 2012, 17:03

Still a little new to mesh making. Could you explain the unmerged vertices you found?

KF
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 29 Jun 2012, 17:14

Kiteflyer61 wrote:Still a little new to mesh making. Could you explain the unmerged vertices you found?

KF

Two vertices occupy the same spot creating a seam. It would be like you you took a knife and sliced the mesh except there is no 'noticable' effect, just that the vertices have been split.

Fixing this may or may not help the texture problem, but its just good practice to make sure there arent any seams where there dont need to be. If nothing else, more seams mean more vertices and more computing resources taken.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

Kiteflyer61

Postby Kiteflyer61 » 29 Jun 2012, 17:25

Wouldn't removing "doubles" get rid of the extra vertices?

If not, any tips on how to remove them? I can't even see which vertices are needing to be merged. :D

KF

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 29 Jun 2012, 19:32

Kiteflyer61 wrote:Wouldn't removing "doubles" get rid of the extra vertices?

If not, any tips on how to remove them? I can't even see which vertices are needing to be merged. :D

KF

Well merging them is of course whats needed. Exact command, dont remember, but yea there should be something to weld things within a certain distance I think. If all else fails, just go around the bottle on one of the horizontal vertice lines and try to move a vertex to see if it causes and opening to appear. You only would have to test like a dozen or something.(however many sides you gave the bottle)

Kiteflyer61

Postby Kiteflyer61 » 29 Jun 2012, 19:48

Are you talking about the inside of the bottle? It has an outside and an inside. I did that so that I could make it transparent and have it still look right. The normals on the inside portion face in while the outside normals face out. I was trying to do them like the bottles in NoM. I'm going to import those and see how it was done. :D

KF

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 29 Jun 2012, 20:43

Kiteflyer61 wrote:Are you talking about the inside of the bottle? It has an outside and an inside. I did that so that I could make it transparent and have it still look right. The normals on the inside portion face in while the outside normals face out. I was trying to do them like the bottles in NoM. I'm going to import those and see how it was done. :D

KF

The outside I found a vertical seam on running all th way down the bottle and the middle vertex on the very bottom center was also split.

Kiteflyer61

Postby Kiteflyer61 » 29 Jun 2012, 21:53

Sorry to sound like a dummy, but how do I fix it? There are no seams marked as such and no duplicate vertices. The mesh started as a UV sphere and was warped to produce most of the bottle. The only part that was added was at the very top, to close between the inside and outside of the bottle. :shrug:

KF

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 29 Jun 2012, 23:25

Kiteflyer61 wrote:Sorry to sound like a dummy, but how do I fix it? There are no seams marked as such and no duplicate vertices. The mesh started as a UV sphere and was warped to produce most of the bottle. The only part that was added was at the very top, to close between the inside and outside of the bottle. :shrug:

KF

Well, as I dont remember the exact command to simply merge everything within a certain distance, you have to find where the mesh will come apart by moving a vertex. Basically, select a single vertex, move it, if no gap appears, great, go to the next and repeat until you find a gap.
Once you find said gap, select all the vertices at that point and merge them. Now, perhaps exporting the nif is causing the seam to appear and you wont find it in the original. Well in that case, just import the nif and work on it.
The best place to start here is to simply look at the vertex on the bottom of the bottle right in the center. That one I know is split and the seam on the outside goes right to it.

Kiteflyer61

Postby Kiteflyer61 » 03 Jul 2012, 18:43

Update time. :D

First off, a pic of 6 bottle shapes. Which do you like, which do you not like?

Bottle set 01.jpg
Bottle set 01.jpg (97.38 KiB) Viewed 7468 times

I'm not going to worry about texturing those that won't be liked. :D

Second, I spent more than 4 hours going over the beer bottle and couldn't find a single split vertice on either the original blender file or the imported nif. Any chance of a screenshot showing what you're talking about, Tarius? Thanks. :D

KF

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 03 Jul 2012, 19:10

I like 1 for ale, and 3,5,6 could be used for other spirits or even beer in the last instance. The other two look too much like a gourd and a chemical beaker respectively for my taste. Lets try not to go with the transparent glass though this time. Just looks so out of place in game.

Good designs overall.
Project Coordinator

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 03 Jul 2012, 19:46

Mostly agree with SamirA, except I think that the straight lines and sharp angles on 3 look wrong. Could you smooth them all a bit?
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Kiteflyer61

Postby Kiteflyer61 » 03 Jul 2012, 19:49

Number 3 was intended to be a sort of "crystal bottle". :D

I could certainly smooth it, but then it would be just another bottle. The idea was for it to be a very expensive type of liquor or whiskey of some sort. :D

KF

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 03 Jul 2012, 19:57

They look fine to me.

Kiteflyer61 wrote:Number 3 was intended to be a sort of "crystal bottle". :D

I could certainly smooth it, but then it would be just another bottle. The idea was for it to be a very expensive type of liquor or whiskey of some sort. :D

KF

With that sharp edged one, if you can pull it off, then thats good, but you will need to get the textures to right to make it look ok.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 03 Jul 2012, 23:15

leaded crystal textures for 3 would pull it off.
Paladin of Vaermina

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 04 Jul 2012, 00:16

I like no. 2, but it looks a bit fancy for a beer bottle. Maybe it would work for some other type of drink or potion, even a perfume.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 04 Jul 2012, 00:19

We really do need more decorative stuff. At least as much as there is DE stuff. I got some pretties laying about the house that are, or could be taken for period. I'll post some pics later
Paladin of Vaermina

Next

Return to Models & Textures