Idea: Colovian Tombs

Submit meshes and textures you would like to be added to PC Data.
SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Idea: Colovian Tombs

Postby SamirA » 15 Jan 2013, 06:38

Those are all wrong. Those statues would work more in Highrock than Cyrodiil. Completely different styles than anything we will have or want to have armor wise.
Project Coordinator

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 15 Jan 2013, 06:41

Meh, fine. Figured it was worth showing you guys.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 15 Jan 2013, 06:44

Don't get me wrong Jiub, all ideas are great. The more that gets thrown on the wall the more that will stick. These simply are not a fit for Colovian tombs. Not the statuary idea itself, simply these models. Your concept image is much more of a fitting style if someone decides to move towards modelling that.
Project Coordinator

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 15 Jan 2013, 07:56

It's no biggie, I was just throwing out an idea :P

sasquatch
P:C Modder

Postby sasquatch » 12 Feb 2014, 04:10

These are great!, but need to be made into a full tileset. I have cataloged all the pieces in the attached file to help recognize what pieces we are still lacking (stairs, stackable walls etc)
Attachments
PC_Col_Barrowset.esp
(3.04 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 12 Feb 2014, 11:28

The set was not intended to make very much use of vertical space in the first place. The stairs were left out by intention, also to hinder people from making huge dungeons with this extremely geometry-heavy tileset.

But looking at your wip-files I think that there is need for a very basic stair for entrance areas. I agree that they look a bit plain without some stairs. I also like the tall room you made. I'm thinking about providing some kind of transition-mesh that can be put between wall pieces that were stacked ontop of each other.

Something very simple that is really lacking too is a small piece to put between rectangular neighboring tiles
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... gpiece.jpg

Maybe there could be a tile for other angles too. I have not tried to to diagonal tliing yet.

The tiny gaps between ground tiles are due to the fact that I have modelled them very highpoly at first and auto-decimated them with the poly reducer later. So there is not the same amount of vertices on each side. Filling them would take some effort which I would rather spend on other areas. As long as you do not have fog in your interior you will not notice the gaps ingame.

Mwgek
P:C Reviewer

Postby Mwgek » 12 Feb 2014, 18:03

The tiny gaps between ground tiles are due to the fact that I have modelled them very highpoly at first and auto-decimated them with the poly reducer later. So there is not the same amount of vertices on each side. Filling them would take some effort which I would rather spend on other areas. As long as you do not have fog in your interior you will not notice the gaps ingame.

To be honest I think that fixing the stuff before adding more has priority. We are nitpicking our interior builders for caspering also. If the base is not snapping 100% dead on, how can you add extra tiles which are? And now the set isn't really in use in the main .esp this makes it easy to update things. Better now then later I say.

Can this thread be merged with the design thread on the model claim forums for the sake of completeness?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 13 Feb 2014, 01:38

Which one?
Project Coordinator

sasquatch

Postby sasquatch » 13 Feb 2014, 04:59

some additional problems here:

-many of the cubbies are too extruded from the cobbled stone
http://i.imgur.com/EVBRjnH.png?1
-there are still gaps between stonework and the cubbies that are especially apparent when lit with candles as intended
-the large wide slots which I assume are intended for coffins are too wide and not deep enough
Attachments
PC_Col_Barrowset02.esp
updated tile set catalog.
(3.32 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 13 Feb 2014, 05:14

No coffins in the barrows, should be mummies or skeletons.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 13 Feb 2014, 12:45

Maybe the use of coffins could be made dependant on if the tomb is still in use or not. There can be mixed burying customs next to each other similar to how it is in TES V barrows.

The broad niches were not made with any particular purpose in mind other than containing various possessions.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 13 Feb 2014, 13:48

Yes, that is true Worsas, there could be a case where you would see coffins, but I would imagine them only in the deep portions of a barrow where those interred might be more recent.
Project Coordinator

sasquatch

Postby sasquatch » 17 Feb 2014, 00:11

The recent fixes were good ones but I have some more issues to post here in pictures.
http://imgur.com/DkS4wpO
gaps circled the bleeds are X'd over
http://imgur.com/Rt8Tv9x
still extruded a bit far on this one
http://imgur.com/YT6ejDK
gap in red line

pic is of wall 6 which is the widest and also shorter than other large cubby pieces:
http://imgur.com/7XuyZLJ
-big slots not deep enough for coffin (like the others) but also too short for sitting mummies
-last gripe is that the shelf in slanted which will make obj placement much less efficient in the long-term

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 17 Jul 2014, 10:27

I have thought about these tombs again as I'm currently a bit hesitant on the approach we have taken on undead and the exact way of burial in these tombs. The burial niches were initially made to contain lying skeletons. Then the mummy idea arose and we have put mummies in there instead. Beyond that there are those little urns that would suggest cremation. On top of that the coffins.

These tombs were fitted to act as burial for the Nords that came to Cyrodiil. Nords have their corpses lying in niches (i would ignore all those other exotic ways of burial seen in TES V for now) and newer cyrodilic burial in kryptas work the same way but with coffins. Beyond that, the kneeling mummies, even if reshaped to fit imperial bodies, feel wrong to me.

We should return to the original intended purpose of the burial niches by either placing lying skeletons or coffins in there (the difference may be due to Nords and Nedics using these tombs together or just by different burial customs between eras). No matter if the Nords used preserving measures, the corpses have withered down to skeleton by now (I don't think the Gold Coast is dry enough and future regions won't be particularly dry either) and we do not need to show off mumification tools. TES V doesn't entirely make sense to me.

As for a possible guardian undead, we could maybe just retexture the Draugr and call it a mummy, or we stick to skeletons and ghost. But these shouldn't resemble ashlander or dunmer burials in the slightest. I would even rename the little urn in order to avoid superfluously referring to yet another burial custom.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 17 Jul 2014, 10:58

We could just have a classic zombie as undead guardian. Not very original, but zombies are a mainstay in the series, and Morrowind doesn't feature them.

MoonAndStar
P:C Reviewer

Postby MoonAndStar » 17 Jul 2014, 11:22

Agreed on the sitting mummies. They look out of place to me.

I'm not sure I understand your position on cremation and burial urns. yea or nay? some of the tomb walls have niches perfect for small urns. In TES V barrows most of the dead are placed in niches,but there are also plenty of urns and sarcophagi. Perhaps the distinction between the three is economic: the rich get coffins and the poor get cremated.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 17 Jul 2014, 12:51

Hmm.. it doesn't matter to me. We could just aswell leave the little urns as they are and not explain them further. It would only have been about renaming them, if anything.

The only thing that is important to me is that we can get rid of the sitting mummies and any mummy-related modelling-claims.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 17 Jul 2014, 15:40

We can rename them to coffers or something and make sure bonemeal isn't part of the lists for them.
Project Coordinator

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 17 Jul 2014, 16:38

Not to further confuse the issue, but shouldn't bodies be wrapped in a cocoon of silk, per On Silk? The cocoons could be placed in the niches of the barrow.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 17 Jul 2014, 16:45

Does that text reference these particular Cyrodiils?
Project Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Models & Textures