Idea: Colovian Tombs

Submit meshes and textures you would like to be added to PC Data.
Worsas
Asset Manager

Re: Idea: Colovian Tombs

Postby Worsas » 25 Jun 2012, 10:50

These will be a mix of what we see with the nordic type tombs and those barrows in like Scotland right?

Hard to tell. I have simply mixed TES V - and Bloodmoon- Barrow - elements with a deserty rock- and wall-style so far. I rarely use any real-world reference for what I make. I usually try to imagine something, then make a rough sketch and then start to model.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 24 Jul 2012, 14:39

A little screenshot to show you what I've got so far. I don't know what to think of the pillars. Do they fit?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/tombwip.jpg

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 24 Jul 2012, 17:07

Worsas wrote:A little screenshot to show you what I've got so far. I don't know what to think of the pillars. Do they fit?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/tombwip.jpg

Wow, that really needs mapping, otherwise it looks good. Perhaps you could make the surface a bit uneven.

As for the pillars, against the wall no. By themselves, yes.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 24 Jul 2012, 18:45

I agree on the pillars, the ones used in the doorway and by itself look good, but the one in the wall is weird.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 24 Jul 2012, 21:31

The pillars except for the doorway ones are entirely modular. The pillar in the wall is only shifted into it.

And I agree, the blank wallpieces must be less regular. I will let you know once I have gotten along with this.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 29 Jul 2012, 19:18

Now I need your honest opinion. Should I screw or keep these walls? Without anisotropic filtering the texture looks rather blurry and stretched as you see. I may have to start over unless you like it this way.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/wallsides.jpg

Do you have ideas what to do with the ceiling? I was thinking of simply dirt and rock like in a cave and wooden supports.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 29 Jul 2012, 21:20

I agree that these do look too blury unfortunately as the detail in the mesh is very nice. I also think you are on the right track with the ceiling idea. I don't think stone would have been used up there just a natural rough-hewn ceiling similar to a cave.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 29 Jul 2012, 23:55

Actually, interesting idea. Remove the mipmapping from that stone wall texture and then see how it looks.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 30 Jul 2012, 18:21

I have tried it once without mipmap and then with different mipmap-filters. Most mipmap-filters result in the same blurriness I already had. But bicubic mipmap-filtering gave me an improvement while giving me less aliasing than lacking mipmaps.

Without mipmap:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/ ... mipmap.jpg

with bicubic filtered mipmaps:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/ ... ilter4.jpg

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 30 Jul 2012, 19:18

Worsas wrote:I have tried it once without mipmap and then with different mipmap-filters. Most mipmap-filters result in the same blurriness I already had. But bicubic mipmap-filtering gave me an improvement while giving me less aliasing than lacking mipmaps.

Without mipmap:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/ ... mipmap.jpg

with bicubic filtered mipmaps:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/ ... ilter4.jpg

Ah, thats exactly the effect I was hoping for. The without mipmaps makes it alot better because it appears rougher. Although, I think you get an odd effect while moving around though if the textures dont have mipmaps. Been a while since I looked.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 30 Jul 2012, 22:30

The bicubic should work without the issues that would occer from the lack of a mipmap and it looks far better than the earlier version. It would be nice to have that super sharp version but if it creates issues then I'm good with the bicubic one it looks far improved from earlier.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 31 Jul 2012, 09:28

I prefer the bicup mipmaps over no mipmaps for several reasons. The most striking one is simply the odd effect from the distance while you move and that it generally stings out. And you get rid of that blurriness by using anisotropic filtering anyway.

I think I need to come up with a broader variety of wallpieces and with wooden supports and boulders stinging out of the wall you possibly don't get to see the critical areas that much.

What worries me a bit atm. is that the whole set still feels a tad simple and boring. I will see how it looks after adding the ceiling. But we might want to add something distinctively cyro-nordic yet to make it stand apart from a simple desert-tomb.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 31 Jul 2012, 15:11

Sounds good to me.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 31 Jul 2012, 17:37

Worsas wrote:I prefer the bicup mipmaps over no mipmaps for several reasons. The most striking one is simply the odd effect from the distance while you move and that it generally stings out.

Ok, this is what I was worried about. Yea, that odd effect is wierd, better to use the bicubic.

To make thing more interesting, the ceiling can be more variable. Could have regular wall pieces and then several different ceilings. One can be solid block of stone. One can be made of mulitple blocks. One can be damaged etc etc.
Also, loose stones that can be laid down in places would be good, but it would be nice if it is apparent where they came from. In Oblivion you always saw piles of rubble everywhere but no apparent location it came from.(I still need to do those darned stone blocks for the ayleid ruins, maybe I will get to it after I finish the stairs I am doing)

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 31 Jul 2012, 19:34

Yes rubble is good.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 05 Aug 2012, 22:44

Just to show a little bit progress. I'm going to make a couple more ceiling-pieces than seen on the screenshot.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/ ... eiling.jpg

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 05 Aug 2012, 22:47

Worsas wrote:Just to show a little bit progress. I'm going to make a couple more ceiling-pieces than seen on the screenshot.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/ ... eiling.jpg

Its nice, but the segmenting on the roof beams is a little disconcerting. I think they should be solid rather than segmented because then I wonder how are they staying up and not collapsing.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 06 Aug 2012, 00:19

Looks great, what Tarius says is true, but its a minor thing the ceiking wont cave in so I dont think it is that big of a deal. Change it if you wish.
Project Coordinator

The Khan
P:C Modder

Postby The Khan » 06 Aug 2012, 01:51

That looks good. Where is it going to be used?
Come join the friendly community of Exilian!!! Come and discus Mods, Games and lots more!!!

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 07 Aug 2012, 22:29

The Khan wrote:That looks good. Where is it going to be used?

I assume in the gold coast, the colovian highlands and westweald according to their colovian origin.

I'm also going to fix the ceiling-issue as soon as I get around to it again. Stay tuned. :)

PreviousNext

Return to Models & Textures