Idea: Colovian Tombs

Submit meshes and textures you would like to be added to PC Data.
Worsas
Asset Manager

Idea: Colovian Tombs

Postby Worsas » 22 Jun 2012, 19:59

I quickly modelled something to show what I had in mind. It's not really great and not what I would want to have it look at the end, but a start to show the overall idea. Please only consider it a concept for now:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/ ... _draft.jpg

Well, I know that you've already got the Crypta Tileset. But the crypta generally seems rather well-groomed like a place that is being used for burial, nothing ancient.

So I thought that it may be interesting and possibly not a big deal to create imperial tombs of older origin. I was thinking that since the Colovian are culturally related to the Nord that they could also have ancient tombs of stone, of course different in look, but also crude and made of big rough stones.

And after all, our Cyrodiil is pretty big, two times morrowind or more and your discussion about ways to bring diversity finally got me this idea. In order not to burden us, we could keep this small, just as a regional thing with a few small tombs spread over the gold coast and the colovian highlands and the set only consisting of 6-8 pieces.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Idea: Colovian Tombs

Postby SamirA » 22 Jun 2012, 20:04

I like this idea, Worsas. Do you think you might be able to create some tiles for this? Shouldn't need a whole lot, just enough to make a pillared chamber, some halls and maybe a small room?

This would make much mroe sense to have scattered around the wild while we have the crypts in graveyards near cities and private mansions.

Nice idea.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 22 Jun 2012, 20:11

Sure. I love working with stones anyway, as you may have seen on anything I have made for Karthwasten. I would probably try to make it look rather organic and such.

Would be great to hear what the others think. And if anybody has got ideas, let them be known.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 22 Jun 2012, 20:36

Yes that sounds very good to me. Something like old catacombs.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 23 Jun 2012, 21:16

A little update on the entrance. So this is supposed to get shifted into a hillside, like the barrows in Bloodmoon.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/ ... barrow.jpg

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 23 Jun 2012, 21:31

Worsas wrote:A little update on the entrance. So this is supposed to get shifted into a hillside, like the barrows in Bloodmoon.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/pics/ ... barrow.jpg

Thats pretty nice actually. The base could use more definition though. With the way the stone texture is, its too flat looking.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 23 Jun 2012, 21:35

your little round one should probably have a curving dropstair for and interior entrance. So we can quickly expand the interior underground. simple in down and around.
Paladin of Vaermina

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 23 Jun 2012, 21:39

Nice stuff Worsas. I really like this possibility.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 23 Jun 2012, 23:26

The version on the first screenshot at the top of the thread does not exist anylonger. It simply evolved into what you have seen on the second screenshot.

I don't really know what's supposed to be flat about the base, Tarius. I went ahead and stressed the cobblestones a bit more though, to make it look bumpier.

Here is a first version for you to have a look:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/colovianbarrow.7z

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 24 Jun 2012, 00:30

Worsas wrote:The version on the first screenshot at the top of the thread does not exist anylonger. It simply evolved into what you have seen on the second screenshot.

I don't really know what's supposed to be flat about the base, Tarius. I went ahead and stressed the cobblestones a bit more though, to make it look bumpier.

Here is a first version for you to have a look:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/colovianbarrow.7z

I meant right in front of the door way. The ground stones, if you look you see they are not sticking out at all, they are simply "level" with the dirt. I mean that I think they should poke out, as in add some geometry to them.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 24 Jun 2012, 01:07

I dont think too many polys need to be added for such minor things, a bit is fine, but lets not go overboard. Yes we want to look better than vanilla, but at some point it just becomes adding things for addition's sake.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 24 Jun 2012, 02:22

SamirA wrote:I dont think too many polys need to be added for such minor things, a bit is fine, but lets not go overboard. Yes we want to look better than vanilla, but at some point it just becomes adding things for addition's sake.

I wouldnt call it overboard. I do notice that other stones are poking out and thats nice, but I think right in front of the door would be the most important because thats were people actually walk most of the time.
Up to him, looks nice as is; just look better with more definition.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 24 Jun 2012, 02:43

The fact that it is where people walk most would cause it to have less definition as it would be worn down, especially since these are old looking tombs. Not saying dont add definition, just offering that up there for consideration. It's the same reason when exterior guys build roads they should always be lower than the surroundings due to the soil compacting over time.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 24 Jun 2012, 05:47

SamirA wrote:The fact that it is where people walk most would cause it to have less definition as it would be worn down, especially since these are old looking tombs. Not saying dont add definition, just offering that up there for consideration. It's the same reason when exterior guys build roads they should always be lower than the surroundings due to the soil compacting over time.

But not so much with rocks as large as the texture shows.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 24 Jun 2012, 05:50

Well that really depends on how old they are, again not saying dont give it a little definition, simply offering a plausible explanation as to why it doesn't need to be done.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 24 Jun 2012, 11:30

Loool,

As said, I already pronounced the stones more since the second screenshot. If it needs to be more, I'll be in for it. No problem. And yeah, they are not realistic, being bended like that, which is only an issue in front of the door too.

For the interior set, I'm planning to provide something as simple as the bloodmoon-barrows. So no vertical level, just floor- and room-pieces and the requested pillar. Those tombs are meant to be kept small in size anyway, so they can be made without big effort. At least that's what I've planned so far.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 24 Jun 2012, 16:53

Sounds good.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 24 Jun 2012, 22:46

Bumpier:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/colovianbarrow.nif

Going to work on the interior tiles next. :)

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 25 Jun 2012, 00:14

Yay! New tilesets!
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 25 Jun 2012, 00:28

Worsas wrote:Bumpier:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/22362022/colovianbarrow.nif

Going to work on the interior tiles next. :)

These will be a mix of what we see with the nordic type tombs and those barrows in like Scotland right?

Next

Return to Models & Textures