New Heads

Submit meshes and textures you would like to be added to PC Data.
TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Re: New Heads

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 11 Sep 2011, 11:32

But if Ancestor Moths were creatures they wouldn't have any disposition...
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 11 Sep 2011, 14:54

TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:But if Ancestor Moths were creatures they wouldn't have any disposition...

Depending on how we'd use them, they may not need to have disposition. Plus, I have trouble thinking of them as being particularly chatty anyway (maybe it's just based on monk stereotypes with the whole "oath of silence" thing lol).

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 11 Sep 2011, 18:22

DJGamer wrote:
TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:But if Ancestor Moths were creatures they wouldn't have any disposition...

Depending on how we'd use them, they may not need to have disposition. Plus, I have trouble thinking of them as being particularly chatty anyway (maybe it's just based on monk stereotypes with the whole "oath of silence" thing lol).

Monks take an oath of silence, they arnt silent all the time.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Lady Nerevar
P:C Legend

Postby Lady Nerevar » 11 Sep 2011, 21:08

Ancestor Moth priests are actually always non-silent, according to the PGE1, since they have to chant mantras to keep the moths about them.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 12 Sep 2011, 16:20

Still, if they have to constantly be chanting they probably have little time to actually be talking to people regardless.

It would ultimately depend of course on which would be easier and/or more effective to do-a NPCs with scripted animations or a creatures with custom animations. It might also help if we're actually going to go with having moths swarming around them constantly (that is if we can pull it off as a relatively simple particle effect with minimal performance impact).

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 12 Sep 2011, 19:06

Nor any of the 'persuade' interactions or any dialogue not specifically assigned to them. I still don't really understand how making a new creature could be simpler than making a new race, especially if animations are involved (as opposed to pixel effects, which as DJ says are a lot simpler). But I don't really mind either way, as long as I'm not the one who has to make it. ;)

Lore-wise... well, the 1st PGE was written in the time of Tiber Septim. If we want to explain the lack of body tattoos etc. on most Nibenese, we could just say they've fallen out of favour in the intervening 400 years. We could include a book describing how Nibenese and Colovian fashions have changed over the past few centuries (perhaps even with pictures, if we wanted to show off some of our concept art...)

Revenant

Postby Revenant » 15 Sep 2011, 10:10

Helena wrote:Lore-wise... well, the 1st PGE was written in the time of Tiber Septim. If we want to explain the lack of body tattoos etc. on most Nibenese, we could just say they've fallen out of favour in the intervening 400 years. We could include a book describing how Nibenese and Colovian fashions have changed over the past few centuries (perhaps even with pictures, if we wanted to show off some of our concept art...)

N, didn't you already kinda write a piece on this? The "justification of the boobies" one. I think it's an interesting idea and one that could be released as a little stand alone mod too - like a P:C taster.

Lady Nerevar

Postby Lady Nerevar » 15 Sep 2011, 13:28

Kinda, yea. A history of Cyrodiilic fashion (in the style of Cesare Vecellio's famous book) has been in the plans since last Christmas, I've just not had enough time to conceptualize/write/illustrate it all.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 17 Sep 2011, 17:55

Getting back on topic (finally): I found a nice painted faces resource over at Wolflore. I've taken one of the pictures and turned it into a head texture, in 1024 and 512 versions: here's an extreme close-up of both. There's some compression on the 512 version, since it's been 'downsized' from a much larger source file, but I doubt it would be visible in-game.

If people like this, I could have a go at some of the others. They might need tweaking a bit to make them look more 'Imperial'.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 19 Sep 2011, 02:52

I like the tatoo's on those faces, but the faces in general are not so good. I think we should use those shots more as a reference source for creating some designs rather than making heads with those actual shots as they don't transfer over quite so well.
Project Coordinator

Lady Nerevar

Postby Lady Nerevar » 19 Sep 2011, 04:11

Eh. The tattoos look just like they've been added in photshop, sometimes not even bothering to throw a blending mode on there. The heads themselves look OK, but far too perfect and airbrushed for my preferences. None of them look particularly Imperial, either. There's an example of Cyrodiilic tattoos in the first PGE, and I've always imagined them as bolder versions of Indian ones.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 19 Sep 2011, 04:12

I meant the designs were good and not really the execution. I do prefer the real world examples you just posted though.
Project Coordinator

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 19 Sep 2011, 13:46

Lady Nerevar wrote:The tattoos look just like they've been added in photshop, sometimes not even bothering to throw a blending mode on there. The heads themselves look OK, but far too perfect and airbrushed for my preferences. None of them look particularly Imperial, either.

I agree on all these, though I think the designs are meant to be facepaint rather than tattoos (I thought the Nibenese might use that as well). As I said, they can be tweaked to make them look more Imperial - colouring and UV maps make a surprising amount of difference - but the fact that they're all impossibly pretty and flawless is more of a problem. If you guys prefer other designs, I'll ditch the idea.

Revenant

Postby Revenant » 20 Sep 2011, 11:48

I think it'd just be easier and end up looking better if we just do them ourselves from scratch. It doesn't take more than a few minutes to make some nice tattoos/facepaint to apply to some of our own unique faces. Always good with ideas and inspiration though.

Lady Nerevar

Postby Lady Nerevar » 05 Nov 2011, 18:02

File contains textures, meshes, and photoshop files at full size. I think it should have everything I've shown, it may include something I didn't.
Attachments
MW Faces.7z
(6.64 MiB) Downloaded 74 times

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 05 Nov 2011, 18:45

Thanks N
Project Coordinator

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 06 Nov 2011, 02:46

I like the pics lady n showed as well. Also, I think they should be a dark but yet subtle shade of blue. Maybe teal.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 26 Nov 2011, 15:37

Few comments after checking out these new heads in NifSkope/the CS:

1) Several of the textures are missing teeth. I've added these myself.

2) A few of the meshes look a bit weird in the CS - it's hard to describe without a screenshot, but the proportions look wrong and some of them appear to be looking 'downwards'. I fixed the female heads with some minor UV tweaks, but for the male ones, the only solution I could find was to switch the texture to a different mesh. They still look pretty similar though.

3) We need some grey/white hair meshes to go with the aged-looking faces. If no one here is able to make these, there are plenty floating around in various head packs.

I've attached a file with the corrections/changes I've made to the meshes and textures, as well as some new heads of my own. If Lady N and everyone else is happy with the changes and additions, perhaps they could go into the next data file update, and then I can start using them for some of the Stirk NPCs.
Attachments
pc faces.rar
(546.88 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 27 Nov 2011, 15:50

I'll give them a look tonight Helena. I'm sure your changes are fine and I'm interested in seeing the heads you created as well. Did you by chance give an indication on your models that they are nib or colovian as the others are? It just makes it easier on me if the artist makes that decision rather than me having to look and see what i think is supposed to be one or the other. If not this is no big deal, but in future it would be nice to follow the naming style you now have access to.

As for hair, as long as it doesn't clash with what is in game already I'm fine with you picking some hair styles out that would suit our mod. Then we can decide which fit best and which wont work for us.
Project Coordinator

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 27 Nov 2011, 19:20

Yes, I used the same naming pattern for my own heads, specifically:

pc_b_imp_f_head_04.nif
pc_b_imp_m_head_04.nif
pc_b_imp_m_head_05.nif
pc_b_nib_f_head_04.nif
pc_b_nib_f_head_05.nif
pc_b_nib_f_head_06.nif

I've used my own judgement about which heads should be 'Nibenese' or 'Colovian', but I'll happily switch them if you disagree. I'd like to make some tattooed faces as well, but I haven't managed to find any suitable source photos yet.

PreviousNext

Return to Models & Textures