ZXT tribute Paintings

Submit meshes and textures you would like to be added to PC Data.
Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

ZXT tribute Paintings

Postby Wollibeebee » 08 Jul 2011, 04:53

this is a small idea i shared with SamirA, and he agreed that it was a good idea, and a nice tribute. I didn't know him, but his exteriors are the awesomest! so it's nice to see his work back in P:C after it was lost, as far as i heard.

:)

contains some of the best pictures, which have been shrunk. and a version of everyone in DDS format with a canvas filter applied.

samirA, it may need some tweeking depending on what mesh you're using, but otherwise they look good to go,
Attachments
ZXT Paintings.7z
(1.66 MiB) Downloaded 99 times

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: ZXT tribute Paintings

Postby SamirA » 08 Jul 2011, 05:28

Awesome :)
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 08 Jul 2011, 06:02

I could try to run a few extra Photoshop filters on it to make them look even more like paintings. It couldn't hurt, anyway.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 08 Jul 2011, 06:29

They look great as is DJ, they fit our picture frames wonderfully.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 08 Jul 2011, 16:20

SamirA wrote:They look great as is DJ, they fit our picture frames wonderfully.

Well I still want to try my hands at making better ones-I'll start from the source screenshots though. It shouldn't be all that much work for me-I just happen to be the one with the "professional" software with all the nifty "artistic" filters.

Obviously, if you like the way the originals look better you can still use those-it won't hurt my feelings all that badly. Also I'm pretty sure I've got the un-watermarked screenshots and I'm not sure which one wolli used. If we're going to be using them in game it's best not to have the P:C logo in the corner obviously.

Edit: Okay-there's two ways I could go with this-I could either crop them to a square shape I can compress them into a square shape-I think I'll go with the latter because I'm fairly certain our picture frames will have a rectangular shape to them and the texture will be stretched out to fill it anyway. I'm thinking of also trying to put a little ZXT "signature" in the corner.

Edit 2: Here's an example-

images/zxt-thatpath.jpg

I did the filter in two layers-one using a "Dry Brush" filter and the other using a "Rough Pastels" filter. The latter filter is used mainly to give it a canvas type texture and is set up at 35% opacity over the Dry Brush filtered image. The signature use a font called Luna Bar, which is one of several "hand-written" fonts on DaFont.com. The image is obviously from before I rescale it to texture size just to give a better idea of what it should look like applied to a mesh.

I also think the resolution should be 1024x512. Originally I planned on making it 1024x1024 but this size should make the texture closer to its original aspect ratio while also likely reducing the file size by about half.

Currently the textures are 341kb a piece. I'll probably include JPGs of each of the un-rescaled images as a reference to how they should look when applied to a mesh.

Edit 3: I'm up to 14 different textures and I don't think I'm even halfway through yet. The actual process for each one is fairly simple but it gets a little tedious after awhile so I'm taking a break. in the meantime I'll post JPGs I've what I have done so far.

images/zxt-1longwaterfall.jpg
images/zxt-anotherroad.jpg
images/zxt-foggyforest.jpg
images/zxt-foggyforest2.jpg
images/zxt-foggyforest3.jpg
images/zxt-godrays1.jpg
images/zxt-godrays2.jpg
images/zxt-godrays3.jpg
images/zxt-goingtochey.jpg
images/zxt-greeneverywhere.jpg
images/zxt-landscape.jpg
images/zxt-prettydarkhere.jpg
images/zxt-scenic01.jpg

I personally think it's looking pretty good so far-but then again I'm the one who applied the filters.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 08 Jul 2011, 19:26

Not bad. Our idea was to showcase ZXT's work though and not mess with it too much. These however are pretty nice and i think that many could find a unique home in the museum at the IC. Right now we have plenty of everyday paintings, but these will be of use in the museum along with some other unique items. Hopefully we will be able to do a true museum justice with many such items.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 08 Jul 2011, 20:48

SamirA wrote:Not bad. Our idea was to showcase ZXT's work though and not mess with it too much. These however are pretty nice and i think that many could find a unique home in the museum at the IC. Right now we have plenty of everyday paintings, but these will be of use in the museum along with some other unique items. Hopefully we will be able to do a true museum justice with many such items.

Yeah, that's why I tried to go with filters that didn't affect the detail all that much. I tried to have it so it would balance between making it realistic as a painting while keeping as much detail as possible. Since as far as I know photography hasn't yet been invented in the Elder Scrolls universe I feel this is the best way to present ZXT's work in-game. I might also set up an image gallery at some point showcasing his work so if anyone wants to look at the originals they'll always been here.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 08 Jul 2011, 23:14

http://filestore.provincecyrodiil.com/D ... intings.7z

Half the file size is the JPGs. Oddly, the DDS files despite being smaller resolution than the JPGs are actually a little bit larger in file size-it's probably just how DDS files are compressed I suppose.

Not all the textures have to be used anyway. I actually got a little pickier as i went on because I just wanted to be finished with the thing. lol

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 09 Jul 2011, 06:25

O...M...G... YoU aRe TEH AweSOmE!!!!
Better?

Good stuff.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 09 Jul 2011, 06:59

cool. maybe you should of just done them in the first place.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 09 Jul 2011, 07:25

wollibeebee wrote:cool. maybe you should of just done them in the first place.

Well I haven't been hanging out in the chat room that often lately. If I had been then I'd probably have heard about it and volunteered. I still appreciate that you took the time to work on the originals, though.

I'm hoping they won't just be used in a museum, though-I think it would make more sense to have them spread out-it could actually be interesting if we built a quest around it like the Museum is wanting to set up an exhibit of his works and you have to seek out the paintings and convince their owners to sell or donate them and maybe a couple ended up stolen by bandits at some point or other.

The mysterious artist who had only ever been known by his initials...

Redefining the concept of an "Easter Egg Hunt".

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 09 Jul 2011, 07:44

We could do something like that.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 09 Jul 2011, 16:35

It's also something we'd be able to more or less set up ahead of time. We'd probably just need to set up the paintings as activators that disappear after the player would convince the owner to part with it (we could also set it up as an actual item the player could steal but I'm not sure how well that would work out balance-wise).

There's obviously also a variety of ways we could set up getting the paintings. As I mentioned earlier, the player could find one in a bandit hideout. It could be part of an actual quest to recover the stolen painting or it could just be an item that happens to be there.

Another idea I had is there could be a quest, possibly from the Thieve's Guild that requires the player to actually steal one of the paintings from an owner who absolutely refuses to sell it-in this case it could be set up as an item, although perhaps only when the quest is active-although perhaps the area where the painting is kept would be locked off until the quest is activated.

My concerns regarding actually making the paintings consistently steal-able:

• It would make them stand out a little too much since other paintings are clearly just for decoration and cannot be taken. At least it would confuse the player at worst it would spoil the fact that a quest is involved.
  • Depending on where the painting is located it may be far too easy to take it without being caught.
  • On the other hand, if they are caught the painting item will end up in an evidence chest making it even more difficult to get.
  • The Museum in most cases will prefer you attain the paintings legitimately unless there's no other way to attain them besides thievery.

I guess I'm not saying that we absolutely shouldn't make them items that can be snatched but as with most emergent gameplay we need to consider whether or not it would disrupt the balance of the game.

Edit: I've also considered the possibility of the player trying to sell the paintings to a shop unaware of their significance to a future quest line, though I think there's a way to mark items as essential or something, isn't there?

DJGamer's Mod Projects

alex25

Postby alex25 » 09 Jul 2011, 18:10

Perhaps instead of making them snatchable items we can male them activators with certain dialogue options so the PC can snatch them through dialogue. Also we can consider using some of them to decorate the player's house or houses if we introduce buyable houses into the game.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 09 Jul 2011, 18:47

alex25 wrote:Perhaps instead of making them snatchable items we can male them activators with certain dialogue options so the PC can snatch them through dialogue. Also we can consider using some of them to decorate the player's house or houses if we introduce buyable houses into the game.

Well, that's the default option-I think I mentioned that already in my post. The question is whether or not to give the player the option of stealing them outright. I'd rather just have one quest where the player has to steal one of the paintings and make the rest of them into activators that disappear after the player convinces their owners to part with them.

As far as allowing the player to hang them in their house-perhaps the museum will offer the player to purchase and/or receive as a reward one or more replicas of the paintings.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 10 Jul 2011, 05:40

ahgod, ENOUGH long posts, i want to read what you ideas are. not look at a giant blur and be completely put off, which i am now.

also, maybe use some other paintings for misc decoration items? these where just for a tribute, and therefore sorta special. hence why they'd be in such grand places (while still fitting in this the mod). thats just my thought though.

also, you cant mark items as essential, but you can add a script and a dialog box, saying "go find your own, b*tch!"

alex25

Postby alex25 » 10 Jul 2011, 08:20

I think I have said this once before but: don't make the paintings stealable objects? Make em activators that give you the option of stealing them! I don't really have an opinion on whether all the paintings should give you the option to steal them or not (because it's a choice between limiting the player's options and making cool quests without shortcuts so though decision) but having them as sellable objects would be bad.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 10 Jul 2011, 16:15

I tend to speak in walls of text, get used to it. :P

The potential problem with setting it up as an activator with an option to steal it is whether or not it would also work with the existing stealth mechanics-I.E. would nearby NPCs recognize that you've "stolen" the item if it wasn't set up as an item in the traditional sense?

Again, by default I would rather not make them able to be stolen except in circumstances where we expect the player to steal them.

Now a bullet point list of ways I've come up with so far to attain the paintings:

• Convince their owner to sell their painting either to you or directly to the museum.
  • Convince them to donate their painting or loan it to the museum (I've seen something like this on American Pickers where they still technically own it and can take it back whenever they want and they're just "lending" it to be displayed at the museum).
  • Do a favor/quest for the painting's owner to either earn the painting or convince them to sell it.
  • Discover a stolen painting in a bandit's hideout. There may or may not be an indication that the painting was stolen and/or that it's at a particular hideout-it could just be there for the player to discover.
  • One owner outright refuses to sell their painting so the Thieves Guild is hired for the job. You must also replace the painting with a replica so the owner doesn't know it's been stolen. It doesn't have to be a TG quest (or Thieves Guild exclusive) and could be given to the player after s/he recovers a certain number of paintings.

And again the player should be able to buy replicas of any of the paintings they've recovered for the Museum to decorate their home(s).

Any other quest ideas are of course welcome.

If possible the painting items should be set up so that no merchant will buy them. There aren't many merchants out there who buy and sell paintings interestingly enough. :lol:

However, if the player IS able to sell them, we could set it up something like the Umbacano quest from Oblivion where if you sell it the curator will contact you about it. The only painting from the suggestions above that I'd imagine you could take prior to initiating the actual quest would be the one in the bandit cave-so perhaps the bandit cave would be in the Heartlands.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 10 Jul 2011, 21:59

We have to have the line "It belongs in a museum!" somewhere in there. :)

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 11 Jul 2011, 01:16

Helena wrote:We have to have the line "It belongs in a museum!" somewhere in there. :)

Perhaps we could have that part voiced as well.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Next

Return to Models & Textures