Beverages

Submit meshes and textures you would like to be added to PC Data.
Worsas
Asset Manager

Beverages

Postby Worsas » 07 Aug 2014, 21:25

According to the input in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=269&t=1012

St. Jiubs base concept
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kteplsgkd0s2 ... drinks.JPG

What I made from it.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... s/mori.jpg

The concept notes say rectangular and flat, but I felt that this wouldn't work, at least if we assume the same basic way of pottery we know from the real world. I hope it is not a problem.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Re: Beverages

Postby Saint_Jiub » 07 Aug 2014, 21:40

Nope, you're good. This looks great, as always :)

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 07 Aug 2014, 22:43

You might think about putting a label on this. I know the drinks in Morrowind don't do this, but our wines do. I say this because this bottle type is not distinctive in color as those in Morrowind so it could be seen as just a new bottle. That is just my thought, I really like the model. Others may disagree with me.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 07 Aug 2014, 23:07

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... aliyev.jpg

It looks a little bit like a potion bottle.

I was considering adding a label, but I wouldn't know what to put on there. If you hand me a motif, i may add it.

Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Postby Praedator » 07 Aug 2014, 23:10

maybe the clay pot drink can have a distinct painted band or such? Well we have ceramic bottled drinks with labels here so I guess you could...I send them back to the bottler for refund , both me and ingame :D

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 07 Aug 2014, 23:10

Worsas wrote:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22362022/pics/aliyev.jpg

It looks a little bit like a potion bottle.

I was considering adding a label, but I wouldn't know what to put on there. If you hand me a motif, i may add it.

Thas is distinct enough imo actually.

[edit] ahem ninja'd by Worsas...

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 07 Aug 2014, 23:16

Yes, a distinctive design on the bottle would work as well, just needs to be something that is obviously not just a misc item. The second bottle is perfect. Looks special enough imo.
Project Coordinator

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 08 Aug 2014, 00:43

I think it's fine, personally. I played around with different stamps/engravings and they all either felt too modern or too elaborate for a cheap beverage.

If you want to put a label on it as a separate texture though, I'll play around some more with designs.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 08 Aug 2014, 01:26

I don't think a label is really necessary, at least not for the lower-quality products. A label would tie those down to one production area or region, while a more nondescript bottle could be used across the province without too much trouble.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 08 Aug 2014, 01:38

^Also this. It's worth noting that mori is in fact Nibenese rice beer, even though I included it with the Colovian drinks for this concept. It should be one of the staples of the common taverns across Cyrodiil.

EJRS
P:C Modder

Postby EJRS » 08 Aug 2014, 09:20

A possible alternative to having a label or painted design would be a hanging wax seal or a WH40k-style purity seal.

Characterful, and viable for use in mass production.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 08 Aug 2014, 11:15

A seal referring to a guild could work too. There is mention of a guild of brewers and a guild of vintners in the lore.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 08 Aug 2014, 13:24

We could have a brewery in Anvil, and reserve winery for cities like Skingrad.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 08 Aug 2014, 13:53

I was thinking cider production, with the orchard. A brewery might be more of a Kvatch thing.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 08 Aug 2014, 14:00

Infragris wrote:I was thinking cider production, with the orchard. A brewery might be more of a Kvatch thing.

Good point. :)

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 08 Aug 2014, 23:26

That could be cool, design a couple of wax seals for some of our liquid guilds to put on their products.
Project Coordinator

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 09 Aug 2014, 02:01

Posting this here as well:

Regarding the Mori flask, how about a paint job? Something like this (https://www.dropbox.com/s/48sbxkds74w9m ... fhours.png) painted onto the clay wouldn't look out of place and would tie it to Imperial culture a bit more, but also wouldn't be overly fancy as I feel that a wax seal or label would be. The wax pendants are cool but I feel like it would flip up and whack you in the face any time you went to take a drink :P

The ale bottle (or whatever we end up calling it :P) does need a label though I think, to make it a touch less potiony. There are some really cool medieval illustrations of mandragora that would work well as the basis for a logo.

EDIT: Made a mockup of the ale bottle with a label on it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xdh6nzbn1t01ut3/akullabel.jpg

EDIT II: Apparently Flickr's gonna be an ass to me so I just copied the pic and reuploaded to dropbox. Oops!

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 09 Aug 2014, 06:25

I have a possibly unpopular suggestion on this beverage matter:

To me the ale bottle does not work that well, if it is supposed to be Colovian Ale. I would much rather see a big glass jug, a bit like the one you have about everywhere. And I would honestly just call it XX Ale, as it is called in Skyrim. I imagine that a label like the one you showed above, would look much better on a glass bottle aswell.

Would it be alright, if I used the Akul/Aliyew - Bottle for the Anvil Cider proposed by Infragris instead? We could keep calling it Akul or Aliyew as both names work well along with the appearance of the bottle. The bottle design works better with the theme of the Gold Coast but not necessarily with the theme of northern Colovian areas, I imagine.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 09 Aug 2014, 13:44

I'm fine with that.
Project Coordinator

EJRS
P:C Modder

Postby EJRS » 09 Aug 2014, 18:03

To elaborate a bit on my wax seal-suggestion:
I suggested this in part because I think it would look pretty cool, and also provide a bit of character and uniqueness, but primarily since it seemed an effective solution to use in a 3E-Tamriel large scale production. Stamping wax requires 1. wax, 2. stamp, and the simple process of stamping the melted wax, while labels require 1. thin paper/vellum, 2. printing equipment (which would likely not be developed enough to print all too detailed designs) or painting/lettering by hand, 3. glue of some kind, and a slightly more complex assembly process. Hand-painting designs directly onto each bottle would be time consuming.
In my mind, labels and hand-painted designs would work just fine for the more exclusive types of beverage (especially with that gorgeously bacchanalian motif you suggested, Jiub), while my suggestion was aimed primarily at the cheaper types of beverages as something opposite of fancy! ;)

There ends my musings, and I hope they are taken as exactly that. Realism and beleivability isn't the end all, be all. Since this discussion is aimed at a rather small detail, I think plausibility could definitely step down in favour of a pleasing design.

Saint_Jiub wrote:The wax pendants are cool but I feel like it would flip up and whack you in the face any time you went to take a drink :P

You make a good point here! Amusing scenes of swearing, inebriated imperial sailors getting whacked by wax seals all along the harbour of Anvil kept popping up in my head while writing this. I imagine you would tear them away before drinking (and what the hell is this "cup"-thing I keep hearing about, anyway?).

Next

Return to Models & Textures