Imperial Infrastructure

Submit meshes and textures you would like to be added to PC Data.
Infragris
Head of Lore

Imperial Infrastructure

Postby Infragris » 23 May 2014, 14:46

I was thinking recently that we could have a dedicated set of objects for things like Imperial highways and infrastructure in the countryside.

Along with the construction of defensive structures, many emperors are also known for building things like roads and bridges to connect their empire, and strengthen their hold on the counties. It would be interesting to have parts of the large, color-coded roads (Blue Road, Black Road, etc.) be a kind of "Roman highway" system, with a (more-or-less) uniform ground texture, milestones, bridges, stairs, stone roadsigns (a kind of obelisk?) Legion watchtowers, toll booths, ...

These would signal to the player that this is an important road between cities, distinguishing it from lesser country roads (handy if the player doesn't have a map), and increase the feeling of being in the center of Imperial power and control, making it clear that these individual counties are all under the same jurisdiction. This could also tie into the role of the legion in the counties, with legion patrols on the main roads (like in Oblivion), watchtowers, and maybe a kind of toll booth/control post on county borders (which would intuitively signal to the player that he has entered a new county, and could play a part in legion and thieves' guild quests - smuggling things across county borders, bribing officers, or standing guard here yourself).

In terms of design, this set could be a provincial variation of official Imperial architecture (the likes of the Imperial City or the planned Consul's palace in Kvatch), or to the military architecture of vanilla Morrowind.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Re: Imperial Infrastructure

Postby Worsas » 23 May 2014, 20:04

I think that the imperial mititary architecture seen in Morrowind would have the strongest effect for what you have in mind. For one people know it already, furthermore it would suggest that this homogenous administrative system spanned he complete continent to a degree. At SHOTN we will be having imperial forts with the same overall architecture aswell. But some additions and modifications would be in order, though. There should nowhere be as majestic imperial forts as there are in Cyrodiil. (at least if you want to increase on top of what TR already does with them)

These special roads are a great idea. They should have something really remarkable about them.

gro-dhal
P:C Modder

Postby gro-dhal » 25 May 2014, 02:18

Elevate them? Have them cross natural features like viaducts?

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 25 May 2014, 09:07

A constant elevation might work in marshy environments like Blackwood, but otherwise I wouldn't bother - too fiddly for exterior modders. Viaducts and bridges, on the other hand, would fit right in: I always felt like the roads in Oblivion were rather too hilly for well-traveled trade routes. Something like a support wall to keep the road from raining out on slopes would work as well.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 25 May 2014, 20:03

Well actually, much of the imperial areas are flat, these roads could be on those stretches alone.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 17 Jul 2014, 00:22

What this would practically entail:
  • One ground texture for the road, based on Roman Highways. A second, more derelict texture might be nice to simulate a badly maintained road, but with Morrowind's ground texture problems, we might not find a use for it. Color variations might be useful once we move into jungled, marshy or snowy areas.
  • Edges: simple rows of stones, in the same texture and "type" as the ground texture, to place on either side of the road, give it more definition. Probably need two or three variations to give it appropriate randomness and allow modders to negotiate corners and slopes. In vanilla terms, think of the "doorstep" rocks in front of common houses.
  • Milestones: weathered, stumpy obelisk things, to be half-buried on regular intervals along the road, with some illegible scribbles on them. It would be nice to give them weathered and faded coats of paint in the color of their respective roads: yellow milestones along the Yellow Road, blue ones along the Blue Road, etc.
  • Bridges/viaducts: these can basically be identical to vanilla Legion bridges, but with most "defensive" elements stripped off (crenelation etc.). Maybe a bit wider to accommodate heavy traffic, too. A kind of extension for the "foot" of these pieces for when they are needed to cross deep gorges would be handy (also for the vanilla Legion set).
  • Stairs, slopes, foundations, support walls, ... I'm less sure how these would look or where they are needed. The idea is to have roads that look like they can be easily and swiftly traversed by trade caravans and armed forces. That means that tricky situations, like a steep hill or a switchback path, need solutions for their problems.
  • Watchtowers, toll booths: these can be made with vanilla Legion meshes, and don't need special attention. They are included here solely as a reminder to include along major Imperial roads and on county borders.

Return to Models & Textures