How to make Cloths and armor

Submit meshes and textures you would like to be added to PC Data.
Griff
P:C Modder

How to make Cloths and armor

Postby Griff » 08 Feb 2014, 02:40

Just a been looking at all the awesome new outfits in the making and would love to have ago myself but i don't know where to start with it. I have basic skills in blender and been making simple clutter items to build up my skills. I am trying to make the shield moon and star posted in another topic first and have got the basic shape done but i don't know what to do about the straps that go around the arm is there some sort of skeleton i need to import first ?

Worsas
Asset Manager

Re: How to make Cloths and armor

Postby Worsas » 08 Feb 2014, 14:08

Do you have Nifskope? It is a very essential tool for analysing how the nif objects are set up.

You should also extract Morrowind.bsa, Tribual.bsa and Bloodmoon.bsa to have the original files of the game avalible for reference. I also always extract the bsa-files of the projects i participate in for the same purpose.

As far as I know Shields do not require anything in particular except for having a certain position and the straps having a certain width. You can adapt your own shield the best by importing some vanilla shield and fitting your own shield into the same posture.

For making clothing or armor you will need to have a very basic grasp of the armature in Blender and how to do weight painting. For making a piece of clothing I always first import a body mesh (bb) and model the clothing around it. I usually finish modelling and texturing the clothing first. Afterwards I delete the body but leave its armature there. Then I make the armature parent of the clothing I modelled and auto-create vertex groups by bone heat. The auto-generated bone weights are mostly fine, but I usually tweak them for the lower spine bones and the calf- and thigh- bones.

The last step consists of splitting the clothing mesh into individual objects for each body part I want to occupy (for shirts this is usually chest, upper arm, forearm and wrist). If the individual objects in blender only contain a single material you should name them Tri (Chest, Upper Arm, etc) and when the object has several materials it should be named Chest, Upper Arm, etc. without Tri.

The background of this is that objects with many materials are exported as Ninodes with one nitrishape for each material which automatcally receive the "Tri" token that the game engine needs to apply them to bodies. If your object only has one material it is exported as NiTriShape. In that case it should directly get the Tri-Token.

If you run into any problem, you are welcome to ask for further advise. This is only a very short summary on the whole process.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 09 Feb 2014, 00:25

I will defer to the above as I have no experience in making rigged meshes and anything to do with NPCs/clothing etc.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Griff
P:C Modder

Postby Griff » 12 Feb 2014, 00:30

thanks worsas just what i wanted to know, and tarius i don't have a clue.

Return to Models & Textures