Cultural Aspects Ingame

Discussion of Elder Scrolls lore and how it will be used in Province: Cyrodiil.
Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Cultural Aspects Ingame

Postby Wollibeebee » 12 Jan 2013, 08:17

Reading and re-reading my lore today. This thread is more about the direct additions to the game world (manly exteriors, seeing as that's what I do.)

Nibenese:

pre 3E:

Due to the harassment of Mer in the 1st Empire, the Nib's integrated battlemages into their army, so it can be assumed battlemages have the Nib's highest respect, perhaps leading Battlemages would have their own manors, farms or forts due to the status. It can also be assumed that the high-authority Nib's hold resentment towards Altmer/Bosmer, due to past rivalries.

Summary:: Battlemages own important parts of Nib land, such as manors/farms/castles. Altmer's not really a part of high-Nib culture.

The Alessian Priesthood that superseded the ruling battlemages introduced a new type of religion into the Nib territories, one that restricted the edible meat types. This, along with the rising animal cults caused animal farming to become nearly impossible. Many Nib's businessmen became merchants and plant farms, the leading of which is rice. The Alessian priesthood replaced the Nib's Nordic pantheon containing the eight divines, and replaced it with ideas of ancestor-spirits and god-animals.

Summary: Nib's barely dabble (although not as much as they did in Alessian times) in animal husbandry, rice farms are a common site. Animal cults influenced the land and shrines will probably be dotted about the land (like Daedric shrines). Ancestor tombs (I suppose similar to the ones in Morrowind) would be fairly common as far as tombs go.

Post 3E:

Nib's still believe in many different cults, from animals to: Ancestor-moth, Cult of Heroes, Cult of Tiber Septim, Cult of Emperor Zero, etc. Which is weird in the eyes of the Cols. Nib's place their dead in small hako skiffs which are set down rivers.

Summary: Weird cults and dead people in hako skiffs.

Silk Rice Fields are still very popular, and run on flooding systems, and when the rice isn't in season they clear away the invading foliage.

Summary: eh.

Temple priests exist along side cult leaders. Merchant-nobility is rife, and the Battlemage aristocracy still exists.

Summary: HH.

Colovians:

Pre 3E:

Much less magically inclined, the Col's have always preferred aggression as a mean to and end. It was typical for them to raid -via ocean- nearby ports, pre 1E810 - the arrival of the much more powerful Redguards from Yokunda.

Summary: much more violently inclined and militarized than the Nib's, forts would be a common site in the Col lands, treasure troves would also be in and around the coast (This TL;DR is just as long...)

The Alesian Priesthood never made it's way to the Col lands, and as such the 8 Divines were left alone. Around this time the Colovian estates were established, which became important aspects of the realm.

Summary: No animal or ancestor nonsense here.

Around 1E2200 the Thrassian plague hit Cyrodiil, and took a huge chunk out the Col population, Bendu Olo, the king of Anvil led the Colovian Navy into the Sload land and defeated them. Colovian Estates become richer and more powerful than Nibenese estates (potentially owned mostly by Battlemages/ancestors)

Summary: Bendu Olo national hero, Slug people despised (good for dialog).

Because the Allessian Priests never brang their religion to Colovia, husbandry was still a viable trade, and hide was a high-selling resource, as such hide is a common resource in Colovia, and hide farms can be found often.

post 3E:

Colovians make the majority of Cyrodiils army (we actually need to have an army, seeing as it's such a Col cultural element, and a few city guards won't cut it.) The Col army leaders are harsh, proud, uniformed men living within the strategic fortresses (not ruins.) The West Navy is almost entirely Colovians, and they likely take great pride in it.

Summary: Militia, everywhere yo.

Concerns both:

The increase of wealth for the Colovian estates lead to a power war against the nibs, which resulted in the end of the Nib's Alessian rule.

Summary: clear evidence of ancient border wars. 8 Divines back in Nib land, meaning wayshrines would have been built. Although I doubt every Nib and his dog would have jumped religion.

Ancestor-Silk is a large export of Cyrodiil, which is the silk created by a native gypsy moth. A cult is attached to this product in the Nibense lands, mostly due to the magic rituals used to enchant the fabric.

Summary: Silk farms are pretty common, and worthy. Nib's love 'em some silk.

Geography:

A lot of Nibenese culture depends upon rivers, it's where they send their dead, to their largest node of transport. It's also the only shelter from the jungle.

sources:
http://www.imperial-library.info/conten ... n-cyrodiil
Just this page so far, I have a small bookmark file with stuff to read, so there will be a lot more, Ayleids too.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Re: Cultural Aspects Ingame

Postby Saint_Jiub » 02 Jul 2013, 01:43

Can we please, pretty please, have a mercenary guild based on the German Landsknecht? I mean, just look at this and tell me it doesn't scream Nibenay to you:

Landsknecht clothing was easily the most gaudy and obnoxious in the Renaissance. The Landsknechts were exempt from the sumptuary laws regulating clothing styles that other citizens had to follow-Maximilian granted them this dispensation because their lives tended to be so "short and brutish."

Their clothing was characterized by its "puff and slash" decoration, created by cutting slashes in the outer garments and pulling puffs of the under garments through those slashes. Sleeves often ballooned out dramatically, as did pants. Often, their sleeves were mismatched, with one pattern of puffs and set of colors on one arm and a different puff pattern and set of colors on the other! Pants legs sometimes were mismatched too. They wore large flat hats, the size of pizzas, often festooned with ostrich feathers. Some wore obscenely immense codpieces covering their genitals. Even their shoes were decorated with puff-and-slash. The overall effect could be quite eye-twisting.

Seriously though, look at this stud:

This has to be a thing you guys.

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 02 Jul 2013, 01:57

Perhaps a bit to Renaissance for me, but the concept could easily be adapted to fit a more fitting fashion. I like it.

The idea of the upper-class Battlemage society being a fashion influence on the lower classes is also a nice touch.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 02 Jul 2013, 02:33

Yea, too that or too medieval maybe.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 02 Jul 2013, 03:27

Wollibeebee wrote:Perhaps a bit to Renaissance for me, but the concept could easily be adapted to fit a more fitting fashion. I like it.

The idea of the upper-class Battlemage society being a fashion influence on the lower classes is also a nice touch.

I dunno about that- Lady Nerevar's Imperial artwork is *loaded* with Renaissance influences:
http://daryam.com/Blog/?attachment_id=16
http://ladynerevar.tumblr.com/post/5083 ... eaning-the
http://ladynerevar.tumblr.com/post/4610 ... ther-uriel
http://ladynerevar.tumblr.com/post/4527 ... 165-sketch
http://ladynerevar.tumblr.com/post/4544 ... or-the-2nd

Alongside stuff like these:
http://ladynerevar.tumblr.com/post/4665 ... ke-drawing
http://ladynerevar.tumblr.com/post/4751 ... ated-to-on

Which I imagine is closer to what you have in mind when you say "a more fitting fashion."

She also posted this on her Tumblr in response to a question about Imperial fashion:

Tip one would be to go with specific Renaissance fare rather than the vanilla kind. There are a lot of great details, especially in construction and fabrics, that deserve to be borrowed. The great part about this time period is all the portraits, so pick a region and time period and pull some references. Renaissance fashion changed a lot from year to year and country to country, so that last part is important.

As far as the Niben is concerned, I really like fashions from the Indian subcontinent. I’m a huge fan of drapery, and the jungles and silks fit with the lore. Rome’s also a good bet, I think, as long as you pull specific details rather than the distilled idea. My vision of Colovia includes more fashions from Scandinavia and the Slavic countries, which, I think, bridges the idea of familiar fantasy with some Nordic flair and adds just the right amount of “I’ve not seen this before.” In all cases, I’m fond of finding fashion designers who have pulled these cultural references for their lines, and then pulling from them. Adds a layer of separation and suggests remixes I might not have thought of.

Personally, my vision for Nibenese fashion is gaudy Renaissance-period wear with lots of ruffles, frills, lace, velvet (both of which were commonly made from silk), slit sleeves (with silk undergarments in the color/patterns of their household poking through), beadwork, and the names of illustrious family members embroidered on every edge-- and TONS of gaudy jewelry, scarves, sashes, capes, and what Lady N refers to as drapery (shawls and the like).

I've always been of the opinion that people from Nibenay and Colovia should be recognizable as being from the same culture-- the same way that Redoran and Telvanni, despite their philosophical and aesthetic differences, are united under the umbrella of "Dunmerness". Not identical, the way they were in Oblivion, but not the way they're sometimes conceived of as entirely separate races either.

Here's a couple of doodles I did recently that illustrate what I mean:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/49zhlq6o8pzgrbz/IMP1.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5kc4mva8w54tu8/IMP2.JPG

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 02 Jul 2013, 05:50

Pretty damn nibenay to me, I think the thing it needs is a bit of Asian influence to be added tbh.
Project Coordinator

Luxray
P:C Modder

Postby Luxray » 02 Jul 2013, 10:32

Those concept images look great Jiub, the clothes have lots of different elements but still look cohesive.
<Shurdi3> Also who has a framed picture of food in their house? What is this, TES instagram?

gro-dhal
P:C Modder

Postby gro-dhal » 22 Dec 2013, 19:20

The contrast between the two cultures should be a recurrent theme, but presented as a source of synergy and strength rather than internal conflict. It's the classic left brain/right brain dichotomy played out on a grand scale.

Conformity vs Individualism
Hard work vs Creativity
Monolithic religion vs Nonconformist cults
Repression vs Passion
Discipline vs Luxury

And so on.

As for the Landschneckt- the idea is good, but those guys are so distinctive it would be hard to disguise what they were based on unless they were completely redesigned. An elite group of Nibenese fighters who dress almost like clowns or acrobats would be a great fit for the culture.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 23 Dec 2013, 00:47

[quote="gro-dhal"]
Hard work vs Creativity
[quote]
I dont think these two are mutually exclusive.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Return to Lore & Literature