Placeholder ingame maps

Discussion of Elder Scrolls lore and how it will be used in Province: Cyrodiil.
Osidian
P:C Modder

Placeholder ingame maps

Postby Osidian » 21 Mar 2012, 17:58

Probably a new topic wasn't needed but I didn't know where to ask for this.

I think it would be useful to have placeholder books for ingame maps in PC_Data.

For example, a map of the Gold Coast (or Anvil County) may make sense in a Stirk interior. And I'm sure in Anvil lives a savant or a cartographer who has maps of most of the regions of Cyrodiil. Since we won't have these maps until exteriors for those regions are done, some blank books could be used as placeholder, being updated later when we finally have those maps.

TR files have these placeholder maps, and I think we could have them here too.
I am no salmon – Dagon

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Re: Placeholder ingame maps

Postby Wollibeebee » 13 May 2013, 09:07

Can I do this in the wolli-update?

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 15 May 2013, 23:43

early, before an error occurred, Scamp said something about how annoying it is when new things are made and can't really be added to older regions.

So, in the same vein as ingame maps, is there any other placeholders we could add? Books (and how many)? tapestries? alchemy tools?

They have to be simple things, things we can use a renamed vanilla version of at first, that won't cause any clipping when replaced. And don't just think about objects, but also level lists and items, etc.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 15 May 2013, 23:45

Not that I can think of, some things like tapestries and stuff may be added, but you can have a placeholder of something decorative that you have no idea what it will look like
Project Coordinator

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 16 May 2013, 16:10

An error? I see.

I didn't really say it's "annoying" per se, it's just that we have to face the truth that new misc items and books and whatnot will have to be added to previously released regions later on as they're being made. So it's not just maps of the Gold Coast that will have to be added to Stirk later on. I think I also said that it would be weird to have like, a certain drink or a weapon that can be found in eastern Cyrodiil only, so someone might wanna go through the whole of Cyrodiil later on and add these things here and there for the sake of consistency.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 16 May 2013, 18:20

Well I suggest that we make a list of things that need to be added but arnt yet made and use placeholder items for those.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 16 May 2013, 18:56

I dunno, There will be some things that will be found only in certain areas. I can even see certain weapons being more prevalent in differing areas. More axes and unique skyrim axes in bruma. And filleting knives in anvil, stuff like that.

while ther should be universal placeholders for some things. We should also come up with a list of more prevalent items to be used regionally. And mark out a list. Like the colovian and nibinese. Give examples of which you think is which. So things can be flavored accordingly.
Paladin of Vaermina

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 16 May 2013, 20:16

Rattfink333 wrote:I dunno, There will be some things that will be found only in certain areas. I can even see certain weapons being more prevalent in differing areas. More axes and unique skyrim axes in bruma. And filleting knives in anvil, stuff like that.

while ther should be universal placeholders for some things. We should also come up with a list of more prevalent items to be used regionally. And mark out a list. Like the colovian and nibinese. Give examples of which you think is which. So things can be flavored accordingly.

We should lay out the kind of services and business types in each region and ask what they need to fulfill their jobs. Like you said, fillet knives would be more common around the fishing areas and axes near Bruma. For the most part, alot of stuff will be spread everywhere. I know that the fruits and other plants would be more common around where they are grown. Really depends on where things come from.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 16 May 2013, 22:13

Rattfink333 wrote:I dunno, There will be some things that will be found only in certain areas. I can even see certain weapons being more prevalent in differing areas. More axes and unique skyrim axes in bruma. And filleting knives in anvil, stuff like that.

So discuss the things that might not be in a single region.

All I can think is maps, books, merchants items (which can be done through level lists set to random), I'm just looking for ideas that will let us modders make cells using items we haven't yet made, but will be.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 16 May 2013, 22:51

clothes and armors come to mind..
Paladin of Vaermina

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 17 May 2013, 13:43

Tarius wrote:Well I suggest that we make a list of things that need to be added but arnt yet made and use placeholder items for those.

Yes, but if someone comes up with a viable idea for a misc object later on as we're working on Eastern Cyrodiil, we'll have no placeholders for it.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 17 May 2013, 14:45

Scamp wrote:
Tarius wrote:Well I suggest that we make a list of things that need to be added but arnt yet made and use placeholder items for those.

Yes, but if someone comes up with a viable idea for a misc object later on as we're working on Eastern Cyrodiil, we'll have no placeholders for it.

Well, we could always split em into categories. Like have several generic wines that can be placed and use as placeholders for stuff we ont know about. Or perhaps for a weapon we would use a generic knife etc etc.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 18 May 2013, 01:08

a generic weapon won't work. they are all different in layout. With some things, we will have to just do some back adding if we think it is really neccessary.
Paladin of Vaermina

Return to Lore & Literature