Necromancy

Discussion of Elder Scrolls lore and how it will be used in Province: Cyrodiil.
Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Re: Necromancy

Postby Praedator » 18 Mar 2012, 09:40

I am in for 'good' and 'bad' necromancers, good ones near other people bad ones secluded.

Osidian
P:C Modder

Postby Osidian » 18 Mar 2012, 12:30

Praedator wrote:I am in for 'good' and 'bad' necromancers, good ones near other people bad ones secluded.

But "good ones" may want to live in seclusion too
I am no salmon – Dagon

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 18 Mar 2012, 12:43

Osidian wrote:
Praedator wrote:I am in for 'good' and 'bad' necromancers, good ones near other people bad ones secluded.

Well yeah definately. I don't see a bad one in a city though, maybe except a corrupt lord, or secretive local ruler.

The Khan
P:C Modder

Postby The Khan » 19 Mar 2012, 10:41

Or hiding in the sewers (A Bethsoft pastime in TES).
Come join the friendly community of Exilian!!! Come and discus Mods, Games and lots more!!!

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 19 Mar 2012, 20:51

Osidian wrote:

True. The ones who practice necromancy for academic and/or research purposes may be scolded and scoffed by everybody, that is, if it is known that a certain NPC practices necromancy.
Perhaps a quest from the mages guild could be to dispose of a necromancer. And you, the Player, think, "oh great, another 'kill a necromancer' mission". But instead, it turns out that while this guy is a necromancer, he isn't bad or causing any harm. It's just that the mages guild doesn't approve of necromancy. Upon meeting NPC, Player may obviously kill him, or Player can talk with him first and see what his intentions are. He tells you to not judge all magic users by their specialty, and that his necromancy is to ascertain the extents of this avenue of study i.e. what else can necromancy efficiently resurrect other than the typical cliché "night of the living dead" zombies.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Lord Andres Indoril

Postby Lord Andres Indoril » 20 Mar 2012, 03:53

During Morrowind, the Mages Guild did not have problems with necromancy. Traven's vendetta was not yet a problem in such regards. Except in maybe Anvil, taking that Traven was already head of guild there.
Best wishes,
Lord Andres Indoril the Mad.

Lord Andres Indoril's Blogwoggofmoddywoddy.

Tes96

Postby Tes96 » 20 Mar 2012, 05:54

Lord Andres Indoril wrote:During Morrowind, the Mages Guild did not have problems with necromancy. Traven's vendetta was not yet a problem in such regards. Except in maybe Anvil, taking that Traven was already head of guild there.
My mistake. I assumed it was always looked at as evil. I'm sure necromancy has been around for thousands of years but it was only added to the game series in the third installment (technically the fifth).
Will there be a small faction or group of mages who gather together to discuss their research on necromancy? Although since it isn't illegal, perhaps they could gather and meet in the Mages Guilds in Cyrodiil. Although it probably isn't revered all that much. Or is it? That could be a quest possibly:

There are a group of select mages who have been in the mages guild in Cyrodiil (insert city) for quite some time now. They've recently begun researching and practicing with necromancy, resurrecting dead animals and/or plants, maybe a corpse or two. But they meet and discuss their experiences with one another in the mages guild halls. This bothers the guild master. While it isn't against the law, it is not all that ethical or moral for mages to be practicing necromancy in %town mages guild...

(Perhaps other guild halls could approve or even encourage necromancy. After all, don't the younglings of a mages guild, if they stay and advance long enough, become the guild master of that particular guild hall? And who is to say that that individual doesn't practice necromancy?)

...and so the guildmaster (quest giver) asks what your opinion is on your fellow mages in the guild practicing necromancy in the guild halls. This could go a number of ways. If you are fond of necromancy and agree that your fellow mages should be left alone to their necromancy studies in the guild hall, your disposition will lower with the guild master and he will give you a shitty quest to do. Kinda like "oh.... so I see. Alright then, since you think that way, go clean out all the dead moths and cob webs in the attic of the guild.
Or if you agree that your fellow mages should go somewhere else to practice, he can ask you to try and convince them to go somewhere else to practice. Although I'm not sure why the guild master doesn't do this himself. Perhaps there could be a reason why, or perhaps they just don't listen to him. But if that were the case, then they could be expelled from the guild for disobeying the guild master's wishes if he so pleased.
Any ways, just a little quest idea I threw out there. It's not a typical fetch and deliver quest; mostly just dialogue. But I think that would be a breath of fresh air to have quests that were all dialogue based and you had to figure out what to say to get a certain desired result.
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

Previous

Return to Lore & Literature