The Cult of the Ancestor-Moth

Discussion of Elder Scrolls lore and how it will be used in Province: Cyrodiil.
SamirA
P:C Coordinator

The Cult of the Ancestor-Moth

Postby SamirA » 15 Dec 2010, 07:59

For long the Cyro-Nordics had exported ancestor-silks to other regions, simple yet exotic shawls woven from the silks of an indigenous gypsy moth and inscribed with the requisite genealogy of its buyer. Under the Cult, however, ancestor and moth became synonymous: the singing and hymnal spirits of one's forebears are caught in a special silk-gathering ritual, the resource of which is used to create any manner of vestment or costume. The swishing of this material during normal movement reproduces the resplendent ancestral chorus contained therein-it quickly became a sacred custom among the early Nibenese, which has persisted to the present day. Monks of the higher orders of the Cult of the Ancestor-Moth are able to forego the magical ritual needed to enchant this fabric, and, indeed, prefer instead to wear the moths about the neck and face. They are able to attract the ancestor-moths through the application of finely ground bark-dust gathered from the gypsy moth's favorite tree, and through the sub-vocalization of certain mantras. They must chant the mantras constantly to maintain skin contact with the ancestor-moths, a discipline that they endure for the sake of some cosmic balance. When a monk interrupts these mantras, in conversation for example, the moths burst from him in glorious fashion every time he speaks, only to light back upon his skin when he resumes the inaudible chant.

These guys should definitely be included in the Imperial City as they are described in great detail as being found walking the streets of the Imperial City Isle. We may want to have a few little ancestor-moth monasteries in our Cyrodiil as well. These guys will add numerous quest options as well as making Cyrodiil a truly interesting place to visit like Morrowind is in our game [and very unlike Cyrodiil is in Oblivion].

EDIT: Perhaps we can come up with a way to have moths around the head and neck of some of these monks by creating a helmet mesh that has moths on it that is transparent in places to show the head of the NPC. Also if we could create an effect of flying moths around certain monk NPC's that you can converse with it would really add to the effect and create an amazing sight to behold.
Project Coordinator

SamirA

Re: The Cult of the Ancestor-Moth

Postby SamirA » 22 Mar 2011, 05:47

It has been said that the silks created by the ancestor moths can be spun into Mithril. We should play this up as it is a unique way of looking at Mithril rather than a boring metal ripped from Tolkein. TES was made to have weird things and this is one of them. I want to see moths created for this mod as creatures you can fight as well as smaller moths that can be found all over and especially at the home of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth. Some simple and some elaborate monk robes should be created that are made from the silks of these moths and the Mithril will be created by a special forging technique that the Ancestor Moths developed. This will make the armor more rare and unique and give our mod, and Cyrodiil, some of the character that Morrowind had and Oblivion did not.
Project Coordinator

ZackG
P:C Legend

Postby ZackG » 22 Mar 2011, 14:33

Arent the ancestor monks actually people?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 22 Mar 2011, 17:17

The Monks are yes Ancestor Moths are actual moths that spin silks that are woven into clothes, some magical, and its been said that mithril is created from their threads as well. It would be fun to run with that and make it cool rather than the same ol LOTR style stuff.
Project Coordinator

alex25
P:C Reviewer

Postby alex25 » 23 Mar 2011, 08:12

Is lore that mithril is made from Ancestor moth silk? Can't remember if it is or isn't

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 23 Mar 2011, 14:48

There are some passages in lore that would lead you to believe that, they are vague though, but most of lore is. If I find them I'll post them.
Project Coordinator

alex25

Postby alex25 » 23 Mar 2011, 16:33

Using silk from huge moths as armor is so cool and fits so well with the general view of Mundus given by the TES games that if there isn't lore that clearly contradicts this we should do it.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 23 Mar 2011, 16:35

Nothing contradicts it, I agree it is an awesome idea and one we could do some cool stuff with. Cyrodiil needs this unique stuff.
Project Coordinator

alex25

Postby alex25 » 23 Mar 2011, 17:48

We could probably design a moth helmet if we make the cult a faction. Also it needs to reside somewhere a bit more awesome that where it was in oblivion (not location-wise but as importance and building(s) size)

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 23 Mar 2011, 17:52

Well the cult is monks so I dunno about a helmet but some cool robes for sure. And yes the Ancestor Moths should have a very austere monastery.
Project Coordinator

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 30 Mar 2011, 14:12

Im all for it then. Also, Cyrodiil is known for their many factions. Perhaps its time we start gathering a list of every known faction they have somewhere if we dont already..

alex25

Postby alex25 » 30 Mar 2011, 16:08

Are we going to take into account advancments made in vanilla or TR for the factions (like TR does with the great Houses)?

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 30 Mar 2011, 19:08

I would like to see that vanilla ranks and/or finished quests for a certain faction affecting P:C factions, however I don't think TR advancements should be taken into account.

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 30 Mar 2011, 22:31

We are not. The only way we would would be if the player was head of the mages guild or something or pretty high up there. Im thinking, cyrodiil is the center of the empire. Everbody floods in to be a part of their programs. In that way, its extremely difficult to advance, so much though that leaders in other provinces would be significantly lower in Cyrodiil.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 30 Mar 2011, 23:01

Yea, we can even explain it away in dialogue when you join up. Something like "where are you from again? Oh well it doesn't matter anyway, this is Cyrodiil and we hold our members to a higher standard you will have to start at the bottom just like everyone else." and things of that nature would work to make people not question it. Plus it forces you to do all the quests and quests are fun. I dont want to miss out on any of them unless I made some decision in Cyrodiil to affect some, that is different.
Project Coordinator

alex25

Postby alex25 » 31 Mar 2011, 07:11

Does this mean all the quests will be more difficult than in vanilla?

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 31 Mar 2011, 12:46

ZackG wrote:In that way, its extremely difficult to advance, so much though that leaders in other provinces would be significantly lower in Cyrodiil.

That makes a lot of sense. I agree a high rank in the Morrowind Mages Guild would probably not make you a very important person in Cyrodiil.
I hope this means that quests are going to be more difficult and on a higher difficulty level than vanilla quests, in fact this is a province mod people are going to play with badass characters. The world really ought to be a bit more challenging.

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 07 Apr 2011, 00:07

alex25 wrote:Does this mean all the quests will be more difficult than in vanilla?

Not necessarily. I'd say that the first quests will be as easy as vanilla, but say the mission to get from second in charge to first in charge is about as hard as youll come across. And we can also make it more realistic but switching the high quests from being strength based to intelligence based, with the solving of riddles or detective work being the way to promotion. In this way, defeating Dagoth Ur is still done by a stronger individual than defeating the arch mage is but the quest for the latter is still more difficult.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 07 Apr 2011, 02:33

Yes, I like the idea of adding in more puzzles and things that are mostly lacking in MW. Also real traps will be good once we get those working, that was one thing I have to say Oblivion did well was traps and some puzzles.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 07 Apr 2011, 07:45

SamirA wrote:Yes, I like the idea of adding in more puzzles and things that are mostly lacking in MW. Also real traps will be good once we get those working, that was one thing I have to say Oblivion did well was traps and some puzzles.

Ugh, I thought many of Oblivion's traps were annoying at best. Not truely diabolical or anything. Those pressure plates and trip lines were the worst, I could so easily see those that I only ever hit a few.

The Ayleid traps, those were a bit better, but not being able to dodge the dark varla stone shots pissed me off alot. In fact, we need some sort of special rare item that will let you get passed dark varla stones without them shooting you.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Next

Return to Lore & Literature