A Comprehensive Guide to Cyrodiilic Lore for use in P:C

Discussion of Elder Scrolls lore and how it will be used in Province: Cyrodiil.
Frumious Quark
Pleb

Re: A Comprehensive Guide to Cyrodiilic Lore for use in P:C

Postby Frumious Quark » 29 May 2012, 18:52

A small question in regards to the Pocket Guide's geography:

This might just be observed only in Bethesda's shift in presentation/art, but why was the country mostly made up of coniferous plant-life (especially towards the north) and deciduous tress in a temperate environment in TES4?
In fact, I believe the only jungle regions were around the swampy areas of Black Marsh - and they barely looked tropical at all.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing but routinely thick plant-life outside the civilized places in that game, but Bethesda made entire place look like the midwest part of the United States.

It has been a while since I played IV, so please correct me if I am wrong.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
~Frank Zappa

Tes96
P:C Reviewer

Postby Tes96 » 29 May 2012, 19:09

It was probably the easiest to make in the amount of time with the budget they had to make the game. Remember that Bethesda is a business with an agenda and a deadline so they can only do so much, whereas us modders have no time limits (other than what we set for ourselves) and are building Cyrodiil as hobbyists, not as employees to a company. :)
"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 29 May 2012, 19:18

What TES meant to say was Bethesda are sell outs and quit making the games they wanted to make so that they could appeal to a larger audience and rake in the money instead of staying true to their fans and roots by continuing to develope the great lore they started with and retconning things so they could make cheesy easy crap for the masses. End of run-on.
Project Coordinator

Frumious Quark
Pleb

Postby Frumious Quark » 29 May 2012, 20:21

I agree with the modder part by tes and the sellout part by samir. And I first saw signs of cookie-cutter effort when they re-released the map of tamriel and morrowind looked like 90% of its diverse coastlines went under water along with all the nations looking unrealistically shortened and smoothed.
And I heard they're going mmo with the elderscrolls. Goodbye actual ES sequels/spinoffs and lore, and hello wow ripoff that's cheap to maintain alone and will fish in more money. I wanted the next KOTOR to be a sequel single player and now this. I truly believe they are a future parallel to a dwindling Interplay when it comes to their most important franchise - "fuck it, make a few more bucks on it till we quit" may soon be their slogan with the series. At least they opened up the novels part with Greg Keyes.

But yeah, Beth bashing aside, I guess this project can stay truer to the lore than the cookie cutter game did. Perhaps I can be of use with my talents in art (concepts) and writing (quests, dialogue, in game books) whilst I tackle the CS.
~Frank Zappa

Revenant
P:C Legend

Postby Revenant » 29 May 2012, 20:42

Frumious Quark wrote:But yeah, Beth bashing aside, I guess this project can stay truer to the lore than the cookie cutter game did. Perhaps I can be of use with my talents in art (concepts) and writing (quests, dialogue, in game books) whilst I tackle the CS.

Please do offer your artistic talents up to us, we can always do with more art. Just try to forget most of what you saw in TES IV, digest the first PGE and you can't go wrong. Kinda.

Frumious Quark
Pleb

Postby Frumious Quark » 29 May 2012, 22:03

Thanks Rev. I am trying to tackle the CS atm, but I can easily take a break to draw and whatnot. I'm still between community college and university transition with little else to do - plenty of free time when bored.
I have no scanner, but most of the TES inspired drawings and old concepts that I've made are on short sketchbook paper. Not a whole lot, but if I keep it to the small pad I can easily have my laptop camera take the picture till I get a scanner. And since I've been reminded of the Imperial Library once again (thankyou) I can now access literature information without having to play Morrowind or search all over UESP.
So, yeah, I'll submit some stuff soonish. I have a headache from all the zooming in and out and around in CS anyway.

Sorry to lead away from the thread's topic; I shoulda remembered Bethesda was getting lazy and greedy-assed-markety after morrowind.
~Frank Zappa

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 29 May 2012, 23:25

Dude I started at TR doing concept art and I was taking pics on my phone to upload. Anything is fine.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 14 Jan 2013, 06:42

http://www.imperial-library.info/conten ... l-cyrodils

pretty good read, some good points about the neighboring influences (Nib been surrounded by mer and beasts, Col's hating Valenwood and their only other neighbors are men)

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 13 Jan 2014, 00:24

EDIT: I've corrected some things (spelling mistakes) and added some missing fact and names to the OP. Also put everything in spoiler tags, so it should be a little easier to look through.

Previous

Return to Lore & Literature