Colovian Naming Conventions

Discussion of Elder Scrolls lore and how it will be used in Province: Cyrodiil.
Infragris
Head of Lore

Colovian Naming Conventions

Postby Infragris » 06 Nov 2014, 17:13

I got in contact with Hrafnir over at TIL (the person working on those excellent languages) and he was kind enough to supply us with a small Colovian vocabulary. This should come in very useful for the naming of barrows, caves, and villages in the region. It's still very much a work in progress, so try not to spread it beyond the forum.

Hrafnir's post in full:
I'll give you two separate word lists. The first one is for the older layer of Colovian names dating to the early First Era. The second one is for the later layer, dating to the early Second Era.

Unfortunately the vocabularies are very, very short. If/when you need words not found here, just let me know and I can create them for you.

Early First Era:
  • Beaurich - Hard, unyielding
  • Beurin - Granite
  • Chorra - Oak
  • Detha - Day
  • Don - Bridge
  • Gauva - Big, great
  • Gor - Hill, mound
  • Hel - Village, settlement
  • Her - Peasant (male)
  • Kil - Sun, sunlight
  • Grad - City, town
  • Kvatch - Butte-like mountain with a flat top
  • Neu - New
  • Nim - Forest
  • Nor - The north, the northern lands of Tamriel
  • Rick - King
  • Skin - Hill, mound
  • Strid - River
  • Ver - River
  • Vulk - Mountain pass

Forming names:
Adjective precedes the noun, also in compound names. Two suffixes used to form placenames are the genitive ending "-al" and another genitive-like ending "-av". These names have the general meaning "a place with/of...", for example "Chorral": Place of Oaks.
The preposition "ovn" can also be used. Its meaning and usage are the same as with the English "of", for example "Gor ovn Rick", but because of its immense age, I'd suggest to use it as a suffix like the -al and -av endings.

Also in longer names the several millenia since the early First Era could have worn out the name, so individual syllables or sounds could have dropped off, especially in the middle of the word. One example could be "Gor ovn Rick" which could have turned into a "Goronric" by the Third Era with "Gorown Rick" as an intermediate form, or it could have even ended up as "Gorown", with the word Rick dropped out of the name at some point in history.

Second Era:

• Barach - Chief, leader
  • Berich - Hard, unyielding
  • Bland - Noble, royal, proud
  • Detha - Day
  • Don - Bridge
  • Gawey - Big, great
  • Hal - Village
  • Hayn - Child
  • Har - Man, male
  • Grad - City, town
  • Kvinch - Field, meadow
  • Man - Human
  • Mhorla - North
  • Naska - Copper
  • Ney - New
  • Rick - King
  • Val, valga - White, pale
  • Ver - River
  • Vul - Mountain pass

Forming names:
Adjective precedes the noun, also in compound names. The genitivi suffix "-av" and its variation "-ov" are still occasionally used. The genitive suffix can be used with personal names, like Natch, to form a name for Natch's barrow: "Natchav".

We should also think of a list of useful words that need translating. So far I've got: temple, shrine, ancestor, regret, face, head, eagle, boar, bear, ashes, tree, knife, mountain, kingdom, maiden, ill, sleep, wave, peace, loss, fear, weapon, world, guest, grave, lonely, home, rest, bed, keep, pit, rock, side, long, groom, low, tower, golden,...
Suggestions more than welcome.

Return to Lore & Literature