[WIP BOOK] The Recursive Childhood of Pelinal Whitestrake

Discussion of Elder Scrolls lore and how it will be used in Province: Cyrodiil.
Infragris
Head of Lore

[WIP BOOK] The Recursive Childhood of Pelinal Whitestrake

Postby Infragris » 14 Mar 2014, 20:18

Colovian story-book. A bit of a joke, I'm afraid: I'm not sure where I'm going with this, or how to present it in-game. If anybody wants to add a couple of fragments of their own, they are more than welcome.

THE RECURSIVE CHILDHOOD OF PELINAL WHITESTRAKE

[Fragment]

In the days of old, before the empire of Man came to be, there lived in the wild lands of the west a proud king, who had seventeen sons. This king loved war and strife above all else, and so it happened that he was slain in battle, and all his sons save the youngest were slain in battle. So the king's wife and her servants took the youngest child, whose name was Pelinal, and left for the hills to live in solitude, and since his mother was loath to see her last son die, she taught young Pelinal nothing of war, or battle, she taught him nothing of the ways of men. And Pelinal grew up in the forest, until one day he saw a radiant knight on horseback drive past. Pelinal grew curious, and asked of the knight, "What are you?", and the knight answered, "I am Pelinal Whitestrake. Come, I see that you are ignorant of the ways of war, and of battle, and I see that you know nothing of what it means to be a knight, so I will regale you with the story of how I came to be a knight."

In the days of old, before the men came down from the frigid mountains, there was a castle in the north, where lived a wise man and his wife. And any knight who came to this place would see the following: he would see seven young maidens by the fire, he would see the wife of the wise man among these young maidens, he would see the old man who ruled this castle, and he would see his only son, named Pelinal, playing the game of Knife-and-Hand. Now one day a knight entered this hall, and without a word he slew the seven young maidens, he slew the wife of the old man, and he slew the old man himself. And Pelinal took hold of a sword, and challenged the knight, saying: "Who are you, stranger, and by what reason did you kill my father and mother, and my sisters too?" Said the knight, "I am Pelinal Whitestrake. To you my action may seem brash and cruel, but I assure you, young master, that I have good reason. Allow me to tell you the story of how I came to this place."

In the days of old, before the men of the North crossed the Sea of Ghosts, there lived an elf on the shores of a great lake. One day this elf found an egg on the shores of the lake, and this egg was made of silver, and the elf was overcome by the greed and bad intentions inherent to his people and took it, hiding the egg 'neath his house. Then one day a knight passed by the house, his name was Pelinal Whitestrake, and the elf offered his hospitality (as was customary in those days, even among people of bad intent). The knight was seated, and given drink and food, but when he took his first bite of his roast he heard a child's voice sing from the foundations of the house. "What was that?", he asked the elf, to which the elf replied, "It was the sound the earth makes." Then, as the knight took another bite, he heard the cry of a child from underneath the house. "What was that?", he asked, to which the elf replied, "It is the sound of the stones." A third time, the knight took a bite, and a third time he heard a child's voice. Then, he took his mace and smashed the elf's head flat, and looked underneath the house, and there he found a child amid the remains of the egg. "And who are you, young master?" the knight asked, to which the child answered: "I am Pelinal. Tell me, o brave knight, how did you come to this place?" And the knight replied, "I am Pelinal Whitestrake, and to tell you that, I will have to start from the beginning."

Last edited by Infragris on 20 Jul 2014, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Re: [WIP BOOK] The Recursive Childhood of Pelinal Whitestrak

Postby Tarius » 15 Mar 2014, 04:30

What is the origin of that name? As in, is it supposed to be imperial etc.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 15 Mar 2014, 13:38

The Whitestrake part isn't explained on the wiki, but refers to his hand, which was made of a "killing light" if I remember correctly. While this has never been stated outright, some sources suggest Pelinal was some kind of cyborg from the future, sent by Akatosh to help the Alessian rebellion. Kind of a medieval Terminator.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 15 Mar 2014, 17:32

Infragris wrote:

The Whitestrake part isn't explained on the wiki, but refers to his hand, which was made of a "killing light" if I remember correctly. While this has never been stated outright, some sources suggest Pelinal was some kind of cyborg from the future, sent by Akatosh to help the Alessian rebellion. Kind of a medieval Terminator.

If thats true, it would be apparent because they cut him into 8 pieces.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 16 Mar 2014, 09:46

A magical cyborg. The dev who wrote The Song of Pelinal pretty much confirmed it.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 16 Mar 2014, 16:48

Infragris wrote:A magical cyborg. The dev who wrote The Song of Pelinal pretty much confirmed it.

Magical? So does that mean he was like created instead of born? Biological.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 16 Mar 2014, 21:30

This threadon the official forums explores it in detail, especially this post. We don't really know what he was made of, since our only sources are millenia-old myths. The details of his actual birth/creation aren't known either, because the moment from where Akatosh took him likely hasn't happened yet.

Return to Lore & Literature