Minerals of Cyrodiil

One Forum to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Worsas
Asset Manager

Minerals of Cyrodiil

Postby Worsas » 22 Feb 2014, 11:00

Due to the iron mine we have in the gold coast area, I came to think of minerals in the province.

This thread suggests Gold, Iron, Copper, Silver and varying Gemstones. We have a lot of iron and some silver at SHOTN.
viewtopic.php?f=106&t=118&p=575&hilit=Minerals#p575

But there is nothing on where certain resources should be harvested other than Gold will be in the jungly areas. One TR-book seemingly states that gold is found in the western cyrodiil. We should make up geological areas with certain minerals.

There is an almost excessive amount of different gems and half-gems in TR-Data that are used in many of their interior cells:
Alexandrite, Amber, Amethyst, Aquamarine, Bloodstone, Jet, Khajiit-Eye, Moonstone, Opal, Black Pearl, Rock Crystal, Sapphire, Spinel, Tektite, Topaz and Turquoise.

TES V features Corundum, Quicksilver, Moonstone, Orichalcum and Malachite next to the other known minerals.

We also shouldn't forget about Adamantium. And what's the deal with the Mithril = Silk - Lore some lore people made up? Still valid for us?

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Re: Minerals of Cyrodiil

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 22 Feb 2014, 11:46

Lady N wrote about mithril and silk here.

I think gemstones might be good to have in the Valus Mountains. Just seems appropriate for some reason.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 22 Feb 2014, 16:41

Yes, this is a good idea as we have already seen modders using minerals like glass (malachite) which do not belong in Cyrodiil. Iron, Gold, Gems, Moonstone and possibly Adamantium would be good for us. Mithril is silk but that doesn't mean it isn't mined, though it should be left to Nibenay along with the strange sload soap mines Infragris dreamed up.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 22 Feb 2014, 18:15

Yea, long ago, I said we should create maps of what resources are where and I still think thats the case.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 22 Feb 2014, 18:31

I would like to avoid making too many iron mines, unless we want the area to be something like the armory of the province. We need something more interesting which feels right nevertheless.

The minerals harvested in an area should underline its characteristics. It should have an impact on the goods you see around. The Gold coast is an area of redware and pottery which is reflected in architecture and goods.

It would be cool not just to have iron mines because we were not able to make up something more characterizing.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 22 Feb 2014, 19:39

From IRC:
Iron is common in the south and west.
Moonstone in the north and east.
Gold in the central regions.
Rare pockets of Adamantium through the province.
Gemstones in the mountains of the Valus and Jeralls.
Obviously you could see veins of each metal in regions that are predominated by the others, but they would be small bits found in a larger mine or small isolated areas.
Then we have the "mines" of sload soap production in Nibenay, these would not be many but an interesting "mineral" source. Perhaps something similar could be thought up for the Gold Coast.
Project Coordinator

MoonAndStar
P:C Reviewer

Postby MoonAndStar » 22 Feb 2014, 19:53

Worsas wrote:The Gold coast is an area of redware and pottery which is reflected in architecture and goods.

Clay pits could be interesting for the southern Gold Coast. Question is, how to make them interesting?

Also, are we going with the TESV definition of moonstone as material elves make armour from? If not, what other use do Cyrodils give to it?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 22 Feb 2014, 20:15

Yes, the idea of using moonstone is that it is the source of the elven armor the ayleids made, the forging of it into weapons and armor could have been lost but the nibenese could use it for many of their daily items by some cruder means of forging.
Project Coordinator

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 22 Feb 2014, 23:01

I've posted an article about Skyrim's mineralogical layout some time ago that had some interesting points, will see if I can find it again. According to Lady Nerevar's text (which I intend to follow) mithril is made of interwoven Ancestor silk and copper/silver wire. Trying to get it away from Tolkien, like.

Return to The Master Plan