Factions of Province: Cyrodiil

One Forum to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Factions of Province: Cyrodiil

Postby SamirA » 11 Jan 2014, 17:59

Use this for discussions of what factions we want to include in Cyrodiil in both major and minor roles as well as those we wish to leave to literature and dialog alone which I will call "Flavor Factions". This post will keep tabs on what factions we choose. Once we have decided on our factions a thread will be created to further discuss them in detail.

Major Story Factions
The Imperial Legion
The Fighters Guild
The Mages Guild
The Thieves Guild
The Blades

Minor Story Factions
The Imperial Cult
The Imperial Archaeological Society
East Empire Company
Blackwood Company
Dark Brotherhood
Kali Mes
Renrijra Krin
Order of the Ancestor Moths
Order of the Dragon
Mythic Dawn(?)

Flavor Factions
Temple of the One
Order of the Lamp
The Imperial Cartographic Society
Project Coordinator

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Re: Factions of Province: Cyrodiil

Postby Saint_Jiub » 11 Jan 2014, 21:21

Major Factions:
=============
Imperial Legion
Fighters Guild
Mages Guild
Thieves Guild
The Blades

Minor Factions:
=============
Imperial Cult
East Empire Company
Blackwood Company
Dark Brotherhood
Kali Mes
Renrijra Krin
Order of the Ancestor Moths
Order of the Dragon
Mythic Dawn

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 11 Jan 2014, 22:49

I like that list. Although I have no clue what Renrijra Krin is. I would also like to have the Order of the Lamp attached to the Mages Guild in some way in the game. Also we need to decide how to do the IC. Are we going to focus more on the individual cults or are we going to focus on the whole?
Project Coordinator

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 12 Jan 2014, 00:50

The Renrijra Krin are a Khajiit rebel faction, opposed to an apparent Imperial land grab on the "Trans-Niben". A local political story for Lleyawiin, similar to the Kali Mes situation.

Two things I wanted to propose (neither necessarily joinable):
  • Silk Weaver's Guild: a sort of mercantile/religious faction operating in Nibenay, offering a window into Niben culture without getting into the whole mess of cults and saints.
  • A revolutionary/agitator faction in the IC: a semi-organized group involved in the protests against the Emperor and his sons we hear so much about. Local politics with a dash of anarchism and Boethiah worship.

I've seen people speaking out in favor of individually defined Daedra cults with their own customs and practices. A lot of work, of course, but we could select some of the Daedra that didn't receive any attention in Vvardenfell (Nocturnal, Meridia, Namira, Mora, ...) and give them personalized factions.

EDIT: Ooh, wait! Temple of the One! there's a text stating that Uriel VII made a bastard family member the head of the Temple, but he conspired to claim the throne and install a Marukhati theocracy. I bet they're still talking about that.
Last edited by Infragris on 12 Jan 2014, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 12 Jan 2014, 01:00

Infragris wrote:I've seen people speaking out in favor of individually defined Daedra cults with their own customs and practices. A lot of work, of course, but we could select some of the Daedra that didn't receive any attention in Vvardenfell (Nocturnal, Meridia, Namira, Mora, ...) and give them personalized factions.

Meridia: Anti-necromantic crusader order with ties to neo-Ayleid revivalist groups in Valenwood

Sanguine: Pleasure cult based out of the Imperial City, defined by Reman fetishism

Hircine: Tied to pseudo-Nordic traditionalism in Colovia, pushback against the pacifist leanings of modern-day Kynareth

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 12 Jan 2014, 01:31

I wouldn't involve Hircine overmuch: he gets a lot of attention in Bloodmoon, and Imperial sources claim to be completely ignorant of his existence. Meridia, though, is golden: her anti-necromancy thing paints her as a benevolent spirit, but her support of the Ayleid Hegemony would mean the Imperial government is constantly persecuting her followers. Meridianism could also tie into the positive Imperial sentiments regarding necromancy.

I was recently writing a text on Cyrodiilic Daedra Worship, I'll see if I can find it.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 12 Jan 2014, 13:18

SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 12 Jan 2014, 16:08

I transferred the pertinent information to a master plan thread TDF. If we decide to break the cult up I will reflect the change in the top post here, but it looks like we are leaning towards just the single faction.
Project Coordinator

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 12 Jan 2014, 16:24

About the Mythic Dawn, what are your ideas for it being a minor faction as opposed to a flavor faction Jiub?

For the Daedra I say we pick out two to three which we want to give a short story. These can be very good additions, but we don't want to do too much. We can always come back later and add more quests to the game after we have rolled out the Province in a state that can be considered complete.

For other things, such as Temple of the One and Order of the Lamp there can still be misc quests involving these flavor factions. In fact that is the point. It seems much more important to be helping out these guys for misc quests than killing rats in some lady's basement or settling land deed disputes for widows. These are just factions we want to show in some manner without developing a cohesive story. We can add to this list any time we wish to mention a faction in dialog or with some minor quest or book.
Project Coordinator

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 08 Aug 2014, 14:18

Some stuff on the guilds:

The Imperial guild system was first instated by the Guild Act in 2E 321. This Act sanctions and regulates the right to form and maintain guilds with a monopoly on a trade or craft, in return for annual fees and taxation by the Imperial government. Guilds mentioned are the Tinkers, Cobblers, Prostitutes, Scribes, Architects, Brewers, Vintners, Weavers, Ratcatchers, Furriers, Cooks, Astrologers, Healers, Tailors, Minstrels, Barristers, and the Mages and Fighters - though more have been founded since the Act was declared.

For the most part, guild representation can be used in minor quests and to bring some more life into the cities. These should by no means be as omnipresent as the Mages and Fighters Guild: a minor guild could have maybe one or two buildings or offices (like a floor in a tenement building) across the entire province, and for the rest be represented by its actual practitioners (shopkeepers, craftsmen, brewers, ...) As a rule, these guilds would not exist as joinable factions in a gameplay sense.

Where possible, we should group guilds together so as to avoid needless complexity or redundancy. Of course, if we can't find anything interesting to do with a guild, we shouldn't include it - we are free to determine the level of representation in the mod, after all. Conversely, if there is need for a new guild, we can include it.

• Guild of Vintners & Brewers: based in Skingrad, his guild oversees production and sale of alcohol in Cyrodiil. They have the right to tax inns and taverns. Members would be the various wine or beer producers in the province. One of the Surilie brothers could be the leader of this faction.
  • Guild of Barristers & Scribes: based in the Imperial City. Besides their normal tasks, this guild has two special aspects: they are the "official" cult of Peryite in Cyrodiil, and they are the only ones allowed to study the old Marukhati law books, on which much of Imperial Law is based.
  • Silk Weavers Guild: a Nibenese affair. This guild has been detailed here. They are based in several cities in Nibenay, and have a trade office and depot in Anvil, mostly aimed at the export to the Abecean region.
  • Guild of Courtesans: an alliance of Cyrodiil's more classy establishments of prostitution. Whoever is in charge of the classy brothel in Anvil would be a high-ranking member. The guild has ties with the Order of Dibella, and pays an annual fee to them. The Primate of Dibella is also the head of the guild. It does not include lower-class houses.
  • Guild of Architects: based in Lleyawiin. Almost completely integrated into the Order of Zenithar.
  • Guild of Ratcatchers: we can do some interesting things with this guild, what with the massive size Tamriel's rats can have. Perhaps a kind of monster-hunting guild, muscling in on the territory of the Fighters Guild. Quest idea: another riff on the old rat-killing quest. Someone asks the player to kill some rats in their cellar. Having done so, they are sued by the Ratcatcher Guild, and have to defend themselves in a kind of court case. A way of indicating that Cyrodiil is a more civilized, urbane environment.
  • Guild of Astrologers: not sure what to do with these guys. We might just fold them into the Mages Guild.
  • Guild of Healers: I suppose this could be a guild of apothecaries and alchemists, as most healers will most likely already be members of the Mages Guild or Imperial Cult.
  • Guild of Tailors and Furriers
  • Guild of Tinkers
  • Guild of Cobblers
  • Guild of Cooks
  • Guild of Minstrels & Musicians

Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Postby Praedator » 08 Aug 2014, 15:08

Cool writeup Infragris :)

Also Guild of Painters, Guild of Furnishers, Potter Guild?

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 09 Aug 2014, 08:38

I would just like to add that I agree about pretty much everything, from the way of implementing onto names and purpose. The ratcatcher guild and the possible legal issues involved with the granted monopoly on activities is a really good thought on your part.

Together with the many minor cults and the various levels of imperial administration this is a bulk of many interesting minor things we could show that would be very difficult to show in completeness and together but that really contributes to the character of the imperials.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 09 Aug 2014, 11:30

Praedator wrote:Cool writeup Infragris :)

Also Guild of Painters, Guild of Furnishers, Potter Guild?

Anything you like, though we should focus on guilds that have a meaningful impact on the gameworld and the way we present Imperial culture. You'll notice I didn't comment on the last couple of guilds, mostly because I couldn't really think of anything interesting about them.

Worsas wrote:Together with the many minor cults and the various levels of imperial administration this is a bulk of many interesting minor things we could show that would be very difficult to show in completeness and together but that really contributes to the character of the imperials.

There's the catch, I guess. Cyrodiil has a host of little cults and factions that should be included, and that some people will expect of the province. The problem will be to balance their representation and relative depth, and to implement them in an interesting and internally related fashion.

Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Postby Praedator » 10 Aug 2014, 00:24

In Anvil there is a painter selling his paintings and a furniture worker selling rich furniture at Anvil Rich Market, and I can imagine potters make the colovian and other to be designed pottery, and could as well have a guild to preserve diversity and keep a minimum price.

Return to The Master Plan