Town Hall - what is it for?

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Town Hall - what is it for?

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 23 Feb 2013, 17:04

At the moment it isn't clear - at least to my mind - what the town hall in Stirk is for. Who works there and what do they do? When do people go there?

I'm going to try to answer these questions. This is what I think, but feel free to challenge me if you think I'm wrong.

Who works there and what do they?
The mayor who is in charge, a clerk who keeps records and fills out forms, a cleaner who cleans, a few guards who guard the prisoner(s), and a prison secretary who fills out forms.

When do people go there?
When they want to buy property and need to fill out forms. When they want to get married and need to fill out forms. When they want to visit someone in jail or pay a fine and need to fill out a form. Sometimes the mayor will put on a banquet to persuade rich people to invest in Stirk.

Please discuss...
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Town Hall - what is it for?

Postby SamirA » 23 Feb 2013, 17:35

That is pretty much it, I would also say for town meetings in the event of some disaster or other event that affects the whole community. This doesn't mean there will be one just because we are including a place that handles it, simply that if some hypothetical event did occur this is where the people of Stirk would go first for answers before storming Pilious' place.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 23 Feb 2013, 23:54

Dance class, arts and crafts on the weekends, theatre, etc.

But srsly, there could be a court there, judge box, jury, all that. I believe that's how imperial law functions? I could be wrong, however.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 24 Feb 2013, 12:44

No imperial justice is psychic guards who know exactly what crimes you've committed. :D
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 24 Feb 2013, 19:35

TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:No imperial justice is psychic guards who know exactly what crimes you've committed. :D

Would doing a series of quests based on the movie Minority Report be a bit much?
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 26 Feb 2013, 05:25

wanted posters. town crier announcements. public decrees from the imperial court. little table with town guides on it. And put that quill back, do you think i'm made of feathers?
Paladin of Vaermina

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 26 Feb 2013, 09:22

The only thing I don't really like about this is the title of mayor, it feels too... modern, I guess? Personally, I would go with viscount or earl for smaller cities like Stirk.

Or we could completely scrap Oblivion's nobility and go with medieval Italian titles instead :P Podesta, anyone?

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 26 Feb 2013, 10:34

Saint_Jiub wrote:The only thing I don't really like about this is the title of mayor, it feels too... modern, I guess? Personally, I would go with viscount or earl for smaller cities like Stirk.

Or we could completely scrap Oblivion's nobility and go with medieval Italian titles instead :P Podesta, anyone?

So keen.

It would really wrap in with the old Colovian Estates and what remains of them.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 26 Feb 2013, 16:34

I tried to get that title changed some time ago, nobody went with me.
Project Coordinator

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 26 Feb 2013, 17:16

What about 'Magistrate' or 'Magistratus'? I was doing some research and in Ancient Rome a magistratus had quite a bit of power.
SamirA wrote:
Haha, bethstapo.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 26 Feb 2013, 19:12

TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:What about 'Magistrate' or 'Magistratus'? I was doing some research and in Ancient Rome a magistratus had quite a bit of power.

I like this as well.

Also, I think I stated I didnt like the term mayor.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.

MoonAndStar

Postby MoonAndStar » 26 Feb 2013, 23:14

Magistrate is a generic term that could refer to any number of positions, and in Ebonheart there is a man (Rufinus Alleius) who is referred to as "the imperial magistrate", and he is presumably presiding over all of Vvardenfell District. entering "mayor" into wikipedia, then hitting the latin translation link, it comes up with "Demarchus". But I personally like "prefect". Short and anglicized.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 27 Feb 2013, 00:04

MoonAndStar wrote:Magistrate is a generic term that could refer to any number of positions, and in Ebonheart there is a man (Rufinus Alleius) who is referred to as "the imperial magistrate", and he is presumably presiding over all of Vvardenfell District. entering "mayor" into wikipedia, then hitting the latin translation link, it comes up with "Demarchus". But I personally like "prefect". Short and anglicized.

reminds me to much of snobby school prefects, sort of a cliche name now.

I think we've all expressed some bitterness to mayor, Tarius.

Rattfink333
Head of Interiors

Postby Rattfink333 » 27 Feb 2013, 00:21

If they already used imperial magistrate. Then i see no reason not to go with that. At least it will be consistent. And stirk is enough out of the way to get it's own. But here is a question, should each major region of cyrodiil get it's own. possibly as an imperial retainer assigned to each duke or count.
Paladin of Vaermina

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 27 Feb 2013, 02:27

Rattfink333 wrote:If they already used imperial magistrate. Then i see no reason not to go with that. At least it will be consistent. And stirk is enough out of the way to get it's own. But here is a question, should each major region of cyrodiil get it's own. possibly as an imperial retainer assigned to each duke or count.

I think that depends on the exact definition here. We are assigning like a town leader guy to be called this. Anyway, I thought the town govenors where the overseers of their particular region?

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 27 Feb 2013, 05:06

Tarius wrote:
Rattfink333 wrote:If they already used imperial magistrate. Then i see no reason not to go with that. At least it will be consistent. And stirk is enough out of the way to get it's own. But here is a question, should each major region of cyrodiil get it's own. possibly as an imperial retainer assigned to each duke or count.

I think that depends on the exact definition here. We are assigning like a town leader guy to be called this. Anyway, I thought the town govenors where the overseers of their particular region?

Correct, although Oblivion didn't reflect this very well because its villages were tiny and sparse, the major cities of Cyrodiil are meant to be county seats, administrating the surrounding areas and citizenry (think like Skyrim's holds). I don't even think the county boundaries are even drawn up in any official capacity though.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 27 Feb 2013, 06:45

Saint_Jiub wrote:Correct, although Oblivion didn't reflect this very well because its villages were tiny and sparse, the major cities of Cyrodiil are meant to be county seats, administrating the surrounding areas and citizenry (think like Skyrim's holds). I don't even think the county boundaries are even drawn up in any official capacity though.

This should be part of a quest. Some guy builds his house right on the edge and both counties want to claim it for tax purposes.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 27 Feb 2013, 12:46

Tarius wrote:
Saint_Jiub wrote:Correct, although Oblivion didn't reflect this very well because its villages were tiny and sparse, the major cities of Cyrodiil are meant to be county seats, administrating the surrounding areas and citizenry (think like Skyrim's holds). I don't even think the county boundaries are even drawn up in any official capacity though.

This should be part of a quest. Some guy builds his house right on the edge and both counties want to claim it for tax purposes.

God-damn Gentry.

I'd imagine the early differences in Colovia and Nibeney between the Colovian Estates and the Alessian Empire would have resulted in a different format for each region, although many of the changes won't be around in the Septim Empire.
http://www.imperial-library.info/conten ... -righteous
This story has quite a bit of information on the subject, and some titles.
I'd like to see a difference between Nib and Col leaders, using Italian words would be sweet for Colovia, and more "magical" words for Nibeney, such as titles relating to the ruling class; battlemages.

man, this got off-topic.

MoonAndStar

Postby MoonAndStar » 24 Jan 2014, 21:56

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here. Another suggestion for a name to replace "mayor": Tribounos. The "tri-" references the three islands under special imperial administration. The others being Roscrea and Esnoriet.

If not, here's a list of Byzantine titles I found interesting for ideas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_aristocracy_and_bureaucracy

My favourite here (besides tribounos) is Exarch/Exarchus/Exarchos

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 25 Jan 2014, 01:11

MoonAndStar wrote:Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here. Another suggestion for a name to replace "mayor": Tribounos. The "tri-" references the three islands under special imperial administration. The others being Roscrea and Esnoriet.

If not, here's a list of Byzantine titles I found interesting for ideas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_aristocracy_and_bureaucracy

My favourite here (besides tribounos) is Exarch/Exarchus/Exarchos

Sounds a bit too foreign to me.

Next

Return to Stirk