Stirk Screenshots 2.0

Helena
Head of Quests

Re: Stirk Screenshots 2.0

Postby Helena » 03 Sep 2011, 10:44

Great screenshots, as always. Just one thing confuses me: I thought the pirate base was supposed to be reasonably well-hidden? How can the Imperial authorities miss that island just off the coast, with a harbour and camp in full view?

As I've mentioned in other threads, I don't think the pirates of Stirk should have large ships (especially ones flying an obvious pirate flag). They should use small, manoeuvrable boats that aren't obviously pirate ships. All they really need is a cave to hide in, with a non-conspicuous entrance, and somewhere to tie up their boats. That said, I don't really mind as such - give me an explanation, and I'll try and work with it - but I can't start writing dialogue and quests based around the pirates until we agree on how they operate.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 03 Sep 2011, 14:23

@Quixote: I agree, great job ya modelers ;) Totally take the time to install Morrowind again, Stirk is worth it.

@Helena: I was thinking about that, too. Actually, I don't see a huge problem with there being a small harbour thing with a ship nearby, I will delete the flag and place more trees and we'll be fine. I mean, if the Stirk people don't realize there are pirates in the ruin and caverns, then why would they realize more pirates on a small island nearby, the whole action is going on on the opposite site of the island anyway.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 03 Sep 2011, 14:48

Okay, fair enough. I still think you should replace the large pirate ship with smaller boats, though. (It might be good to see more small boats by the docks as well - I doubt that many of the fisherfolk can afford to use those large ones).

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 03 Sep 2011, 15:11

Sounds good.

Smaller boats would make my cool dock arrangement thing useless though.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 03 Sep 2011, 16:02

Mmm... it does look cool, but it just seems a bit impractical. The pirates, more than anyone else, are going to need to leave and enter harbour quickly and inconspicously. At the moment it doesn't even look like they could get on or off the ship without the help of that crane. But let's see what the others think.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 05 Sep 2011, 21:00

This is a game, not everything has to fit into the bounds of reality. Sometimes some things are just there to be cool.
Project Coordinator

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 05 Sep 2011, 22:26

Don't disagree in theory, it's just that I'm the one who has to rationalise it all in the dialogue :)

BTW, are we going to go with the idea of having a cave system travelling between the town (or somewhere near it) and the pirates' hideout? 'Cause I have a few ideas for that.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 05 Sep 2011, 23:07

Yes I like the idea. We could run it from the cellar of a building if you finish with the idea and let me know which building would be best.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 06 Sep 2011, 02:20

SamirA wrote:This is a game, not everything has to fit into the bounds of reality. Sometimes some things are just there to be cool.

:/ lame excuse, but yeah, i agree.

though i still don't like it, it's like a gang member walking through another gangs territory with a giant "i'm with bloods" sign on his T-shirt.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 06 Sep 2011, 02:45

If Scamp removes the blatant pirate flag from the ship it won't seem so bad. Also there could be a legitimate reason for that dock out there that everyone thinks is ok but is only a cover.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Postby Wollibeebee » 06 Sep 2011, 08:44

oh, oops.. might of jumped in at the wrong time.. i'm fine with the dock, not the flag.

i like the dock.. crane could be for gettin' the booty' of the ships.. cause it'll probably get heavy :P. though i couldn't find out how to get onto the dock from the ship :S i must of missed something.. perhaps the ship could be out in the ocean? and just little jolly boats come in to dock? so the only transport to and from the ship is a jolly boat - be nice for some quests, getting shipped off like that.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 06 Sep 2011, 16:09

They pick up people with the crane.

ZackG
P:C Legend

Postby ZackG » 07 Sep 2011, 00:01

As far as screenshots of the city, I always pictured stirk with banners swooping down from buikdings and clothes just washed hanging over streets.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 07 Sep 2011, 17:21

Do you mean I should add more banners, ZackG? I can do that. More cloth lines will be difficult.

ZackG
P:C Legend

Postby ZackG » 07 Sep 2011, 18:58

I do. The screenshots themself look absolutely amazing. Cant wait to play it.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 07 Sep 2011, 20:15

What I mean is, we will have to wait for other places larger than Stirk and with less space between houses to place more cloth lines. I placed them here and there where it worked though.

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 09 Sep 2011, 20:18

OK, here's my idea for the underground cave system (sorry about the delay):

The Quillans (servants of the Helvor family) have a son, Leo, who fell in with a bad crowd. He fled the town after badly injuring another man in a street brawl. However, some time later he contacted his parents to tell them that he had become a pirate. Being very upright, moral types, the Quillans were horrified - but they loved their son too much to report him to the authorities, and were too ashamed to ask their employers for help.

In the Helvor family crypt, Leo had discovered a hidden entrance leading to an old, forgotten system of smugglers' caves. The caves run between the crypt and the pirates' hideout, or somewhere very near it (e.g. the shoreline near the Ayleid ruin). His parents started to use this secret passage to bring him food and other supplies. They could access the crypt without raising suspicion, as they regularly visit the place to keep it clean and tidy.

However, Leo then started to demand that they bring more supplies for his friends, and deliver messages from the pirates to their contacts in the town. If they refused, he threatened to tell the Helvors that they'd been helping the pirates. At this point the Quillans are caught between a rock and a hard place, and desperate for a way out. During the player's investigation into the pirates, they'll eventually admit the truth and show you how to access the hidden entrance.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 12 Sep 2011, 03:36

Sounds good to me.
Project Coordinator

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 15 Sep 2011, 17:02

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 15 Sep 2011, 19:18

Now that looks great.
Although, I think the clothing line needs a window at the end of it.

Not sure on the over turned furnature. I am thinking that it would be easy to get in the way of the player or even some NPCs.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

PreviousNext

Return to Stirk