Stirk's Ayleid Ruin

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Stirk's Ayleid Ruin

Postby SamirA » 10 Mar 2011, 01:11

Here we will discuss the Ayleid ruin that we shall be making for Stirk.

What we want to do with our ruins that is not seen in Oblivion is show a bit of the culture of the Ayleid.

What I want to be done here is discuss what sort of items we want to be found in this particular ruin.

Things To Know:
1. Medium sized Ayleid Ruin
2. Tentative Name - Wormusoel
3. New Creature types and Ayleid Cultural items are what we want to see listed here.

Things To Begin With:
I am going to treat Ayleid ruins like Dwemer ruins were in Morrowind (as they should be). These ruins will be different in that the Ayleid are more of a magically based society and will use stone in place of metal. So we need an Ayleid stone bedframe, Ayleid containers (chests can be modeled after Oblivion) these include stone urns and boxes as well as chests, Ayleid coins, Ayleid art (maybe some small statues and some wall frescoes), Welkynd stones, Varla Stones (we will have to figure out how to get these to work), Working buttons that open the doors, Ayleid (Elven) weaponry, Dinnerware, Prison Cells if there is not already the ability to make them with the current tile-set, Stone doors for rooms, Ayleid lights maybe powered by magical stones like Welkynd stones.

I can't think of much more that would be needed for our first ruin here, but if any of you can think of anything aside from the neglected mentioning of Ayleid skeletons with Ayleid weapons then please name them.

I would like for some ideas on a whimsical magical creature (that doesn't mean that it has to use magic attacks, I'd rather it be melee based) that was created by the Ayleid as a guardian type creature that we can begin to show here in this ruin.
Project Coordinator

ZackG
P:C Legend

Re: Stirk's Ayleid Ruin

Postby ZackG » 10 Mar 2011, 02:07

I already have the bed frame, chairs, and tables figured out and nearly modeled. They will be created using intersecting arches that come to a point, much like their architecture but thinner and sleek.

Dinnerware like plates and bowls I vote for square instead of round. I have some here in the apartment and they are very elegant.

As far as frescoes, let's not get too close to the roman ones we will using for the actual cyrodiils, but instead art thats created using glowing stones, like the welkynd stones but different. We could even say that it was this art that influenced the Cyrodiils except they didnt understand the magic behind so they adapted it to their frescoes.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 10 Mar 2011, 03:02

You read my mind EXACTLY on the frescoes. Uncanny how you just echoed my thoughts there. I'm interested to see what you have modeled so far and square is fine with me. We need to come up with a name for the Ayleid dinnerware, limeware in Morrowind is supposed to Dwemer in origin so something similar would be good.

DJ and I have been working to get some flashing glowing techniques down for some designs in our Ayleid ruins. DJ is perfecting his technique and it is looking good so far.
Project Coordinator

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 10 Mar 2011, 17:26

We also need to decide the purpose of this Ayleid Ruin. I vote a port city at one time, a small one at that...very small.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 10 Mar 2011, 18:02

One image I've had in my head for awhile is for the pirate's port at the end of the Stirk Ayleid dungeon. I imagine a fairly wide open cavern with the dock and such on one end and on the other, built into the rock, a slightly Petra-esque Ayleid ruin set featuring perhaps the only "unique" pieces designed for the Stirk ruin. I know it will mean some extra work but it'll be worth it since it would be for the "climax" of what would essentially be Stirk's "Main Quest"-and i think it's important to make it memorable in all areas of it's execution.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 10 Mar 2011, 18:20

Port city works, especially since the deeper parts will link to a cave full of Pirates. We may want to create a few quick building ruins to stick on the surface and maybe in the cave to show our new Ayleid cultural buildings. These can simply be some crumbled exteriors and won't need interiors we will worry about more complete Ayleid buildings and interiors for later releases.
Project Coordinator

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 10 Mar 2011, 22:44

Double post, but an edit may be overlooked. We have forgotten to state the obvious need of tables, chairs, and a bookshelf model along with possible a broken version of these.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 01 Jun 2011, 05:53

I've been wanting to mention my concept for the tail end of the dungeon for awhile now and while I'm sure I've mentioned it in other places I don't believe I've mentioned it here yet.

I'm thinking the final part of the dungeon that would be part of the pirate's cave should be a Petra-like Rock-Cut Architecture structure carved into the rock on one end of the cave-which would actually be a fairly massive cavern, capable of course of housing pirate ships and so on-with a portcullis preventing unwanted entry-it's possible this may also have originally been part of the ruin but shows signs of having been refurbished by the pirates.

The whole visual would basically be a sort of reward for the player having gotten through the dungeon. We may want to include some kind of area where they might be able to safely take it all in, although it's likely they'll be able to do that after clearing out all the pirates anyway.

There might also be some similar ruins along the more mountainous areas of the Gold Coast and obviously the Jerrall Mountains region so the meshes may not be exclusively for a one-time use.

I've been looking at UESP's Ayleid Dictionary and came up with a tentative name Garlas Adabal (roughly Cavern of God Stone), although I see we've already sort of come up with a name maybe my suggestion would work better especially if we go with my Petra-inspired concept.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 01 Jun 2011, 19:14

I like the rock sculpture thing and the name Garlas Adabal. Will the pirates' cave be a separate cell from the rest of the dungeon? Either way, my own idea was to have be some sort of 'security system' on the door into their hideout, consisting of a password and spell which you'd have to learn in order to open it (not sure how easy this would be to script, but I'm sure it's doable). During the main quest, you'd have to talk to different people in town to get the information you need to access the hideout.

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 01 Jun 2011, 19:57

I'm thinking the final part of the dungeon that would be part of the pirate's cave should be a Petra-like Rock-Cut Architecture

This reminds me of the lich quest?(I think) in Tribunal where you come to that place where that one wall has statues and such on it.

it's possible this may also have originally been part of the ruin but shows signs of having been refurbished by the pirates.

I would actually see this as entirely possible. Cyrodiil isnt exactly in the stone age here and its obvious that they have knowledge of gears and basic mechanics and such not, to mention stone work.
Interesting thought here, there should be a school for imperial mechanics somewhere; I mean, who exactly builds and maintains all those gates and levers we see all over the place.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 01 Jun 2011, 21:25

Tarius wrote:
I'm thinking the final part of the dungeon that would be part of the pirate's cave should be a Petra-like Rock-Cut Architecture

This reminds me of the lich quest?(I think) in Tribunal where you come to that place where that one wall has statues and such on it.

it's possible this may also have originally been part of the ruin but shows signs of having been refurbished by the pirates.

I would actually see this as entirely possible. Cyrodiil isnt exactly in the stone age here and its obvious that they have knowledge of gears and basic mechanics and such not, to mention stone work.
Interesting thought here, there should be a school for imperial mechanics somewhere; I mean, who exactly builds and maintains all those gates and levers we see all over the place.

I think you might be thinking of Old Mournhold, which is similar in the sense of being a ruin contained within a cave although I don't it's quite as Petra-like.

I had the idea of the portcullis being part of the Ayleid ruin because I thought that maybe this particular ruin was originally designed as a sort of easily-dependable port. A large cavern with an entrance large enough to fit a ship through and at some point someone felt inspired to carve some architecture into the rock on the inside of the cave.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 04 Jun 2011, 01:18

Nice ideas here.

Helena, this complex will probably be multiple cells.
Project Coordinator

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 10 Aug 2011, 16:38

Are we still planning on doing this? I understand we'd like to get Stirk out sooner rather than later but I think this would be worth taking the time to conceptualize and model and it'll be a great way of showcasing how we plan on expanding beyond what exists in Oblivion.

DJGamer's Mod Projects

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 10 Aug 2011, 17:11

Sure this is being made. The Ayleid Ruin is an important part of the island to me. I'm a bit busy with RL atm but since the island is done except for the ruin, I guess I can get to that soon.

Revenant

Postby Revenant » 15 Aug 2011, 07:22

I'll lay down a basic concept for the place and post it in the internal CA thread

The Khan
P:C Modder

Postby The Khan » 13 Nov 2012, 22:27

This sounds like a really fun Interior to make. I don't think I'd be up to it though. :P I think you should find some doors locked and on the other side are monsters that the Pirates locked in there. They should be moderately tough.

Another idea is for there to be some collapses. It can't look too new in my opinion.
And not only the port area should be populated by pirates. They should also be in some of the rest of the ruins as well.
Come join the friendly community of Exilian!!! Come and discus Mods, Games and lots more!!!

alex25
P:C Reviewer

Postby alex25 » 16 Nov 2012, 15:12

Didn't we scrap/transfered the huge port to the GC?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 16 Nov 2012, 16:42

Yes.
Project Coordinator

Return to Stirk