Stirk Bird's Eye View

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Stirk Bird's Eye View

Postby SamirA » 12 Jan 2011, 20:30

This is the top down view of Stirk that we are working to create with ZackG's new models. It is the design that we decided upon and are building models to emulate.

Enjoy:
Project Coordinator

Osidian
P:C Modder

Re: Stirk Bird's Eye View

Postby Osidian » 12 Jan 2011, 20:41

I like :)

It seems just the appropriate size.
I am no salmon – Dagon

ZackG
P:C Legend

Postby ZackG » 02 Feb 2011, 17:06

Ok, so, as I said I extended the lighthouse out a little bit, made land to wrap around the docks. Now, though, I placed walls to extend the docks. They are the same walls that will be placed around the city. Take a look-

Osidian

Postby Osidian » 02 Feb 2011, 18:21

I'm not sure I understood: The docks will be on that land bridge connecting the main island to the peninsula with the lighthouse right?
I am no salmon – Dagon

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 02 Feb 2011, 19:07

No, the docks will be attached to the main island. The arm will enclose the docks in the reason for my post was to ask whether or not the walls:

1-should stay or go
and
2-should be replaced with different, weaker models (like a wooden fenceline)
or
3-should be replaced with different, stronger models (like a bigger wall with high towers added to it)

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 02 Feb 2011, 19:16

this is the proposal

Osidian

Postby Osidian » 02 Feb 2011, 20:20

Ok, I see. Honestly, I don't think the wall makes a lot of sense there, what would be the purpose of having a wall there?

The isthmus was a really nice idea in my opinion, makes a very good natural port by itself. I think it would look nice with just a good path to the lighthouse and some street lamps along the way. Also, I would suggest the outer side of the isthmus being more "sandy" like a small beach, while the inner would be more rocky like you're doing already. At least I think it makes sense with my very little geology knowledge :P as long as it looks good of course
I am no salmon – Dagon

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 02 Feb 2011, 20:26

The purpose would be to protect the port and everything within it. the open side would force intruders to bottleneck their attack right there. The question is, I suppose...is it necessary or realistic to think they'd protect their poor fishermen with a high priced wall, which I think would probably be a no.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Feb 2011, 20:29

Woah! Are our grass meshes that tall? too big in my opinion, way too big if you can't even see people's heads over them. As far as the wall goes, I agree with everything Osidian just said.
Project Coordinator

Osidian

Postby Osidian » 02 Feb 2011, 20:42

ZackG wrote:The purpose would be to protect the port and everything within it. the open side would force intruders to bottleneck their attack right there. The question is, I suppose...is it necessary or realistic to think they'd protect their poor fishermen with a high priced wall, which I think would probably be a no.

Yeah, if there was a wall I really wouldn't expect it to be of that high quality. I don't know, maybe a different wall, let's see what Samir and DJ have to say. I'd really prefer it to have just the path to the lighthouse, I don't see Stirk as a good place to resist an attack during a war, people here would probably just flee to the mighty port city of Anvil nearby.

I doubt any invading army would be interested in this island really, nothing of much value here, and they would also be unable to properly defend it after conquering I guess. So the eventual attacks would come mainly from pirates, but the presence of the Imperial Navy in the area would probably scare them off.
I am no salmon – Dagon

DJGamer
Mad God

Postby DJGamer » 02 Feb 2011, 22:27

I really wish phpBB had an automated system for resizing images to fit the board layout. Usually I just do that myself by creating a "thumbnail" version of the image that links to the full size one using a combination of URL and IMG tags.

I used to walk when I could ride, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Madness? THIS IS THE SHIVERING ISLES!!!...Of course it's madness!!

DJGamer's Mod Projects

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 02 Feb 2011, 22:39

@Samira-I intentionally brought the camera down to angle it up so the grass seems taller, but either way, wild grass does grow like that.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 02 Feb 2011, 23:29

most grasses only reach about hip height, if that is where this grass is then that is perfectly acceptable, you have to look at it from a gameplay perspective too though, if the grass obscures your view of enemies while you are attempting combat it won't be very fun. Thats just how I am coming at it, I am thinking of gameplay aspects. Also if the grass is growing in an area that is heavily trafficked then it would be trodden down quite a bit so that even very tall grasses would not reach this height very easily. It is a great mesh and texture don't get me wrong I just see a couple of reasons it should be smaller, similar to why you want Tarius' wayshrines smaller.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 04 Feb 2011, 06:55

Osidian wrote:
ZackG wrote:The purpose would be to protect the port and everything within it. the open side would force intruders to bottleneck their attack right there. The question is, I suppose...is it necessary or realistic to think they'd protect their poor fishermen with a high priced wall, which I think would probably be a no.

Yeah, if there was a wall I really wouldn't expect it to be of that high quality. I don't know, maybe a different wall, let's see what Samir and DJ have to say. I'd really prefer it to have just the path to the lighthouse, I don't see Stirk as a good place to resist an attack during a war, people here would probably just flee to the mighty port city of Anvil nearby.

I doubt any invading army would be interested in this island really, nothing of much value here, and they would also be unable to properly defend it after conquering I guess. So the eventual attacks would come mainly from pirates, but the presence of the Imperial Navy in the area would probably scare them off.

I will weigh in. Looking back at ancient history, many walls have been built to protect harbors, but not just from invasion, the major reason was weather. I am thinking of the Roman era here. I know on one ancient port, the walls rose something like 2 storys out of the water(I beleive), however, that was to protect the harbor area from storms, not just invaders. That area is now gone, they didnt add a foundation and it eventually sunk into the water and sand. The walls used here were made of poured concrete blocks, which is interesting as not many people realize they could do something like that back then.
So its, not so much invasion you are protecting a harbor from, its the weather. In this case I would actually kinda expect a taller wall then that, but perhaps thats because the area there is so large.
(If there is one thing I do, I never fail at giving my opinion on something)

As for the grass, yea, grass grows quite tall, but not that tall, plus it would have a more whispy look to it having fallen over and blown by the wind since this is a shore line after all. I am thinking exactly of beach grass here.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 04 Feb 2011, 07:01

Opinions are welcome, especially when they have useful information within. The Romans actually invented concrete, which is very interesting. I believe this harbor faces north though and being as it faces the mainland most weather that would be severe enough to affect it would have to come from the south and as such a wall to the east, which is where I believe this one is poised to be would be ineffectual. I vote no on a wall for Stirk, but I am all for a southerly facing large and somewhat ornate wall for Anvil.
Project Coordinator

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 14 Feb 2011, 03:35

For the questions posted in the chatbox, I will post them here so we can get a concrete opinion on what we will be doing.

Is Stirk large enough for a mining operation?

Is Stirk large enough for an Ayleid Ruin?

Should we add smaller islands around the western side to hide our pirates?

ZackG

Postby ZackG » 14 Feb 2011, 03:39

1-Is Stirk large enough? probably. But what successful mining operation could perform so close to pirates? They'd be ransacked everytime they came out with something valuable. Besides, Stirk has a fishing culture. It has that feeling and atmosphere that we've given it. I don't want to overdo that or disrupt that feel.

2-Yes. And sure, we can put one there. We can add quests where the pirates want the player to go into the ayleid ruins and get loot, or where the player will work for Stirk and wait in the ayleid ruins and ambush pirates.

3-I dont see why we shouldnt. Id rather leave that up to the individual exterior designer to make pretty though.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 14 Feb 2011, 04:36

All valid points. One thing we do need to do and not leave up to the exterior people entirely is design road maps and water systems for our claims. Also each region will need to have certain specific elements agreed upon so that our claims will match one another, such as these rock types are for GC and stuff like that. We also have to decide what will make up each claim so that we can place a description for the modder to work off of. We can't just let someone decide they want an Ayleid ruin in their claim arbitrarily. So basically I think we should start our planning of Stirk so that when we finally get to the build stage each person knows what they are supposed to be building. Caves will be more up to the individual modder.
Project Coordinator

Return to Stirk