Stirk NPC Claim [TDF]

Infragris
Head of Lore

Re: Stirk NPC Claim [TDF]

Postby Infragris » 06 Oct 2014, 22:45

TerrifyingDaedricFoe wrote:As for the Cyrodiil lore topic, if I remember correctly, most of the entries are copied directly from vanilla Morrowind lore and have their content edited to reflect Cyrodiil. The style ("Let me tell you about...") is unchanged.

It might be more productive to keep these (and similar) topics in a general and permanently unfinished thread, as some of the info (current events, for example) might change drastically based on things we are yet to think of. I mean, if that's a thing we do, I'm not at all aware of dialogue conventions. You've done an amazing job here, TDF, and I do not in any way intend to detract from it or lop off parts of your claim.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 07 Oct 2014, 00:09

Generic topic-entries could be made up and kept within a thread. We should maybe speak about what generic topics we want at all. In vanilla there are generic topics on all kinds of things beyond little advise, my trade etc.. Publicans have generic topics for the beverages they sell, scouts and savants have generic topics for regions and towns, savants have generic responses on the races and provinces, even.

The fact that we have nolore set on all npcs unfortunately removes many of those generic responses from our npcs, so we need to replicate them, if we want them.

Regional and npc-specific dialogue entries are probably best left to the npcer. otherwise the whole thing may become too complicated.

Yeti
P:C Modder

Postby Yeti » 10 Oct 2014, 06:23

You guys should really come up with Cyrodiil-specific lore entries, rather than copy and adapt the ones from Morrowind.

Also, an early warning -do not try to give every NPC in Stirk unique dialogue. It would be a nightmare to implement and keep track of, and would clutter the game with too much fluff. Use a healthy number of generic NPCs to provide practical information and make the NPCs with unique backgrounds stand out more.

TerrifyingDaedricFoe
Head of Characters

Postby TerrifyingDaedricFoe » 10 Oct 2014, 15:30

Yeti wrote:Also, an early warning -do not try to give every NPC in Stirk unique dialogue. It would be a nightmare to implement and keep track of, and would clutter the game with too much fluff. Use a healthy number of generic NPCs to provide practical information and make the NPCs with unique backgrounds stand out more.

I think that was the plan we settled on.
SamirA wrote:
Tarius wrote:This is entirely a matter of the Bethstapo that will burst in, yell STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM, and C&D us to death if we violate copyright.
Haha, bethstapo.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 19 Oct 2014, 13:59

It'd be pretty cool if some (not all) people in Stirk would hint at items or "treasures" being hidden in Stirk's ponds. I hid some stuff in there ;)

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 03 Jan 2015, 18:21

I've tried to formulate a few greeting texts for the Stirk npcs taking orientation on the vanilla writing style.

Vanilla greetings:

Good day,
pleased to meet you
Welcome to xxx
you don't look familiar
You're new to XXX, right?
What brings you to XXX?

If you're looking for services in XX, I guess I can help you.
Sure, this is XXX. Are you looking for someone in particular?
Yes, I know my way around here. What about it?

Good to see you again, %PCName. Please, whenever you're in Balmora, feel free to stop by. Now, what can I do for you?
All right, Stranger. Tell me what you want. Services? Or are you here in balmora for someone in particular?
This is Caldera, stranger. I guess you're new here. You got any questions? Looking for someone in particular?
What brings you to Caldera, outlander? You looking for services?

Certainly, %PCName. If your question is about Caldera, I can probably help. Is there some specific place you're looking for?
Well, hello again, %PCName..
No, no trouble at all, %PCName. I'm not busy right now. I'd be happy to share a little Morrowind lore with a traveler. And it might be that I could let you in on a little secret.

Generic first time greetings with generic keywords for Stirk:

1. What leads a %PCClass to a place like Stirk? If you're here for someone in particular or in need of a little advice, I'll be happy to help out.
2. I have not seen your face before. What is it you're looking for on an island like Stirk? Any specific place or any of the local services?
3. Welcome to Stirk, %PCRace. Are you looking for a specific place or someone in particular? I know this little island like the back of my hand.
4. Good day, stranger. You're new to Stirk, right? I guess, you may be interested in a little advice or this and that little secret, while you're here.
5. We don't get see new people very often around here. So what has led you to Stirk, traveller? Is it about a specific place or one of the local services? I can recommend you the XXX Tavern, if you're looking for a place to stay overnight.

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 03 Jan 2015, 19:37

Looks good.
Project Coordinator

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 03 Jan 2015, 20:25

Do you actually need the pirate's lair yet? Still waiting for the review to finish up the file... to be honest it's been finished since three days after I said I'd start working on it.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 04 Jan 2015, 01:08

Scamp wrote:Do you actually need the pirate's lair yet? Still waiting for the review to finish up the file... to be honest it's been finished since three days after I said I'd start working on it.

No clue when we will have npcs added to Stirk (Yeti may do it, but he is occupied with Karthwasten). Right now it probably isn't urgent. We can write up a lot of the dialogue in advance without a file ready for npcing.

Previous

Return to Claimed