PC_Act_Stone_??[Saint_Jiub]

Worsas
Asset Manager

PC_Act_Stone_??[Saint_Jiub]

Postby Worsas » 13 Aug 2014, 11:07

Infragris wrote:Another thing that needs to be implemented: doomstones & runestones. The nature of these stones wasn't really fleshed out during Oblivion, so we should develop their purpose somewhere in the future. For the moment, this claim would be very simple, as the three stones in the Gold Coast (the Lord Stone, the Lady Stone, and the Jode Stone) are all of the same type: "Doomstones".

The claim would consist of upright stones, using the same texture as the surrounding rocks in the landscape, with an red, glowing runealpha texture covering it. In Oblivion, all these stones had the same runes on them, though it might be nice to a different design for Heaven Stonesand Birthsign Stones. Doomstones were supposedly made in the Merethic Era, before or during the rule of the Ayleid. As such, their design is unrelated to any other cultures we currently depict. Surrounding them are stone circles: modest clumps of rocks in the original, though we could expand these to be actual stone circles of the Stonehenge type, since we have the place for it (perhaps with a couple of Colovian barrows in the neighborhood).

There's also another type, the Runestones, which are solitary stones with a green rune pattern. These aren't immediately important, as we have no such stones in the current region. These stones are of a later date, which means we could associate their design with tilesets like the Colovian tombs or the Reman forts.

More inspiration on these stones can be found here, though it should be noted that this source is deliberately incorrect on some points.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Re: PC_Act_Stone_??[Unclaimed]

Postby Saint_Jiub » 13 Aug 2014, 16:49

Here's a compilation of the actual runes used in Oblivion, for reference: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8w704if8de5cy7b/runestone.png

The question is, do we want to basically just remake these runes or do something a little more specific to TES lore and to the otherworldly nature of the Doomstones?

Gonna be working on concepts today.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 13 Aug 2014, 21:12

Test/mockup before I put in an official claim to the texturing side of this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxyx51r0gprj9 ... netest.png

I just applied the textures to the back of one of our gravestones for now. The designs largely come from a couple different Norse runestones, with my own modifications as well. Not certain about the runes themselves, it's using vaguely Greek characters at the moment (GIMP's "symbol" font) and just the text from the Firmament, but I also made a version using Ayleid runes if people think that'd look better.

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 13 Aug 2014, 21:26

Some of the terrain_rock_bm_ may serve your needs. terrain_rock_bm_48.nif, for example. I have retextured that one to create one of the defiled nord menhirs that are being used at TR (the one in the middle).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... enhirs.jpg

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 13 Aug 2014, 23:21

I think using the menhirs is what should be done, also, that texture looks really cool Jiub.
Project Coordinator

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 13 Aug 2014, 23:31

I think it's best to avoid a connection to the Ayleid - these things are supposed to predate even them. Maybe just avoid a recognizable text in general. We can implement all kinds of inscriptions for the green runestones, as they were erected/remodeled by known historic figures - but whoever placed these red ones is no one we or the player would know of.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 14 Aug 2014, 02:14

Thanks Worsas, that's precisely what I needed.

Infragris wrote:I think it's best to avoid a connection to the Ayleid - these things are supposed to predate even them. Maybe just avoid a recognizable text in general. We can implement all kinds of inscriptions for the green runestones, as they were erected/remodeled by known historic figures - but whoever placed these red ones is no one we or the player would know of.

Hm, well in that case the Imperial motif on the doomstone isn't terribly appropriate either, is it?

How about this then? Going back to the more primeval look they had in Oblivion: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldk9xh33moeis ... onewip.png

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 14 Aug 2014, 02:25

I dunno, if it looked etched into the stone I would like it more, but I'm not too sure on the overall design either. Having said that, I think if it looked etched I could probably like any design. I think the etching is the key, no matter what the design is. It just looks too painted, in a very modern way, right now. Your other one seemed more like it belonged on the stone though, even without the etch effect. I think thinner lines that look like they're glowing make it feel more magical and fitting as opposed to these larger lines that lack any texture.
Project Coordinator

Worsas
Asset Manager

Postby Worsas » 14 Aug 2014, 10:45

Have you claimed this, St. Jiub?

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 14 Aug 2014, 17:12

We could associate them with the pre-Ayleid Nedes, which would in turn relate them to the Imperials. In fact, remnants like this would be important for early Imperial culture to develop its own identity and style. Bethesda neglected to define these stones, so we can develop them in whatever direction suits you best. I admit that I personally like the abstract patterns, though a chance to depict the birthsigns is really too good to pass up (if you're up for making 21+ pictures, of course).

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 15 Aug 2014, 01:26

Yeah, I'm gonna grab it. With those BM stones I have everything I need for now.

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 15 Aug 2014, 06:11

WIP #2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/43u7u6vwyhb0h ... stones.png

I figure I'll have 3 motifs, a Nedic warrior, mage, and thief, with each gazing upon the Doomstone's birthsign (depending on which Guardian sign it falls under). The Serpent stone will be unique, as will the Heaven stones when I get to them eventually.

The Emperor runestones will be a totally separate thing, we can worry about those later.

Any objections?

Worsas
Asset Manager

Re: PC_Act_Stone_??[Saint_Jiub]

Postby Worsas » 15 Aug 2014, 08:46

I like the diffuse character of the motif that makes it visually very distinctive from a norse rune stone.

Either the glowing lines should be underlined by shades or a carving in the rock... or the rock texture itself should be smoother. Right now these both look a bit strange together.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 16 Aug 2014, 03:44

I second everything Worsas said. No objection on the proposal either. I like where this is going.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 07 Oct 2014, 05:24

I third that, the lines are far too defined.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Return to Claimed