Gold Coast Exterior: Q6-7 + P6-7 + O6-7 [Praedator] [Anvil]

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Re: Gold Coast Exterior: Q6-7 + P6-7 + O6-7 [Praedator] [Anv

Postby SamirA » 29 Jul 2014, 04:18

Especially since we have been through all manner of ideas and none have really taken off as what we want from Sutch.
Project Coordinator

sasquatch
P:C Modder

Postby sasquatch » 29 Jul 2014, 06:05

Ive thought more about this. CouId you send me Iatest AnviI version? I want to do this city as weII. There are a # o probIems to this maybe once I do something up we can compare notes and coIIaborate on doing AnviI even better.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 29 Jul 2014, 06:11

I'm gonna pull an executive move here and say no. I don't do this, ever, I like the team to decide things, but this is getting to the point of being a drain rather than an asset. Anvil is being made by Prae, it is being done in a manner that meets the requirements that have been laid out and will be a great place for people to see in game with all the detail bits infragris designs through the awesome lore that will be attached to the place. This is not going to turn into an Alma style demolition, that is a bad move for any project. Put your efforts into thinking towards Sutch, the next city in line and one with absolutely no prior background to fit within. You can have free reign to come up with all manner of ideas for that city.
Project Coordinator

sasquatch
P:C Modder

Postby sasquatch » 29 Jul 2014, 06:23

I'm very disappointed. We all have executive decisions to make in our own lives. I won't be able to continue on this project if I can neither influence the planning of this city or design it myself. It is too large and poorly planned. I won't interior such a city without influencing its design.
Last edited by sasquatch on 29 Jul 2014, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 29 Jul 2014, 08:08

If you could see how petulant you have been throughout this thread you would probably shake your head at yourself. I don't care what you do, it is everyone's choice to be here and we all work together and have a really good team of people who are great at give and take. Notice those words, give and take. All you are doing now is demanding things and not working in the team atmosphere. Throwing a fit and quitting a project you are interested in because of the direction of one city not going the way YOU wanted it is a rather selfish attitude. I run this project and there are plenty of things that I lose out on, but I don't threaten to leave, I live with the group decision. We have a certain way that things work, we give direction to modders, but we also give them freedom to design things to fit their vision because without those visions nothing gets done. Bickering over minor details, yes the ultra-realism you seek is MINOR we are building a game in a magical world in another universe if they do things different than the course of human history suggests similar technology should allow its ok, is one way to get projects bogged down. We have a lot of momentum right now with Worsas and Prae taking a lot of initiative on themselves in the creation of assets and world space, this is to be encouraged. That doesn't mean that things can't be criticized, but these things should be with reason and the design of a city not fitting YOUR vision is not sufficient reason to demand that you be able to build a city when you are not even an exterior modder for this project. If you want to enact change then you should get the majority on your side, which is quite clearly not the case here, or become an exterior modder yourself and claim the cities before someone else does and builds it in a way you deem unfit.

I apologise for the wall of text guys.
Project Coordinator

Praedator
P:C Reviewer

Postby Praedator » 29 Jul 2014, 09:39

SamirA wrote:I apologise for the wall of text guys.

Nice wall of text, I agree. Can't say it better as I am no profescient writer.

Some cells have 300+ refs with only buildings, large statics and door/doorjambs/windows. I will try to stay at ~1000 refs/cell but some might exceed.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 29 Jul 2014, 15:34

sasquatch wrote:[...]We all have executive decisions to make in our own lives.[...]

I am unsure about what this has to do with anything said in this thread. As SamirA said, we usually don't make executive decisions like that, but if nobody calms down someone needs to draw a line and I believe SamirA has the clear right to do so.

sasquatch wrote:I'm very disappointed. [...] I won't be able to continue on this project if I can neither influence the planning of this city or design it myself. It is too large and poorly planned. I won't interior such a city without influencing its design.

No, I am disappointed. This is a community effort - we're all working together. I dislike the direction this whole discussion has taken. What you say is not true; Everyone is able to participate in city planning. Everyone is still able to participate now. I'm sorry if you don't see that. In the case of Anvil, most discussion has already taken place at least when it comes to layout, raising these highly critical points now barely helps. Mostly, you're asking for too much to be changed in a way that it'll satisfy one person alone, while it seems clear to me there are many different opinions.

If you give reasonable feedback we will listen to it and it will help "influence" Anvil's "design".

That said, I believe the bay "entrance" isn't wide enough, Praedator. If I agree with something people have been posting critical feedback on, it is that the harbor should be a tad more open. Decreasing the size of the lighthouse island could help. Again, this is a suggestion and what I would consider to be "reasonable feedback".

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 29 Jul 2014, 15:49

Saint_Jiub
Head of Concepts

Postby Saint_Jiub » 29 Jul 2014, 16:34

How deep is the harbor entrance? It gives me the sense that it would be shallower since those two points of land are so near each other, unless it's a sheer vertical drop off the shore.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 29 Jul 2014, 16:39

It is deep enough for a warship to be sunk down so far that the whole hull is underwater, so between 128-256pts deeper than a floating ship. The harbour itself goes a tad deeper right upto the bulk harbour and Rich passenger harbour (towards C. of Dibella). The actual docking area is as deep as a double size dock block, pretty deep.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 29 Jul 2014, 18:22

Widened entry to port, big enough I hope.
Attachments
TES Construction Set 2014-07-29 19-19-10-50.jpg

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 29 Jul 2014, 18:40

I think it's fine now.

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 29 Jul 2014, 19:47

Scamp wrote:I think it's fine now.

thx Scamp :)

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 30 Jul 2014, 03:52

A suggestion I have to make is that the shore line should be bordered by large "piles" of rocks. We see the sand and rocks scattered all over and it would make sense for those to make up the edge of the land for that harbor.
The thing is that the soil is predominently sandy and having such a close in harbor means a sort of disconnect here, at least for me. Plus I think it could look very good if done right. I dont think a simple ground texture is the way to go here but a mix of the sand and the rocks.(more rocks than sand)
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 30 Jul 2014, 04:02

This is basic layout, not a detailed portion Tarius, the things you are talking about come later. The harbor is and castle isle are on more cliff-like structures, so the foundation of them should be the stone texture, not grass or sand. I'm quite sure Prae plans on having plenty of rocks and sand around here.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 30 Jul 2014, 04:09

SamirA wrote:This is basic layout, not a detailed portion Tarius, the things you are talking about come later. The harbor is and castle isle are on more cliff-like structures, so the foundation of them should be the stone texture, not grass or sand. I'm quite sure Prae plans on having plenty of rocks and sand around here.

Well, final thing I have to say is that I think a bit more ground height would be cool looking for the lighthouse and the castle.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 30 Jul 2014, 07:11

It would be even cooler if there was a water tunnel underneath with a hidden entrance, but that is a pain to do in Morrowind sadly. We do need to keep in mind that those sort of features need to be used more than the one time we have seen it on Stirk.
Project Coordinator

Praedator

Postby Praedator » 30 Jul 2014, 11:10

SamirA wrote:It would be even cooler if there was a water tunnel underneath with a hidden entrance, but that is a pain to do in Morrowind sadly. We do need to keep in mind that those sort of features need to be used more than the one time we have seen it on Stirk.

There will be a tunnel/sewer system, I am placing trapdoors at certain locations, and want a sewer grate in the Poor District sewage channel.

Tarius wrote:
SamirA wrote:This is basic layout, not a detailed portion Tarius, the things you are talking about come later. The harbor is and castle isle are on more cliff-like structures, so the foundation of them should be the stone texture, not grass or sand. I'm quite sure Prae plans on having plenty of rocks and sand around here.

Yes there will be rocks everywhere...and small sandy beaches.

Well, final thing I have to say is that I think a bit more ground height would be cool looking for the lighthouse and the castle.

Actually the lighthouse is quite a bit up, and the castle even more. https://www.dropbox.com/s/aeefmd3r2xszxf9/TES%20Construction%20Set%202014-07-30%2012-08-56-84.jpg

Well said SamirA. :)

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 30 Jul 2014, 12:09

Praedator wrote:
SamirA wrote:It would be even cooler if there was a water tunnel underneath with a hidden entrance, but that is a pain to do in Morrowind sadly. We do need to keep in mind that those sort of features need to be used more than the one time we have seen it on Stirk.

There will be a tunnel/sewer system, I am placing trapdoors at certain locations, and want a sewer grate in the Poor District sewage channel.

I think he is talking about an actual underwater tunnel below the castle, which would indeed be super cool.

Infragris
Head of Lore

Postby Infragris » 30 Jul 2014, 12:19

Isn't that where the Thieves' Den DLC in Oblivion is found?

PreviousNext

Return to Claimed