Wollibeebee
P:C Reviewer

Re: -wip-

Postby Wollibeebee » 30 Aug 2011, 09:17

reference stuff:

flora:
Green Stain
Clouded Funnel
Bog Beacon (needs editing; retex of vanilla)
Stinkhorn
Somnalius plants (needs some editing)
Lilies
Nirnroot
pitcher plant (not made)
arrowroot (needs editing)
elf cup

Helena
Head of Quests

Postby Helena » 30 Aug 2011, 14:54

Great concept, and I like the WIP models as well.

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 30 Aug 2011, 15:49

Cool. Not much to see yet, but it looks good. Please add vertex color next time though ;)

SamirA
P:C Coordinator

Postby SamirA » 30 Aug 2011, 17:09

Not bad so far.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 30 Aug 2011, 21:35

thanks guys.

not much point vertex colouring 5 models scamp :P but next time, yeah, i plan to get atleast 16 cells done for you all to run around. :D

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 30 Aug 2011, 23:49

i took a jam at making a map, i think it turned out pretty well. even if i only did one side of the niben (i'm making that side first anway.)

Scamp
Head of Reviewing

Postby Scamp » 31 Aug 2011, 17:27

I kinda like the rock textures. Did you make them?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 31 Aug 2011, 17:34

I like how the trees look together and I think the ground looks nice. I think that the giant rocks need to go though. This region should be much swampier imo. there might be some big rocks scattered about but mostly this region should look very desolate. Lots of dead and decaying trees/logs and things of that nature. I would also like to see you take the trees you sent me that were originally for valenwood and put them in this environment as well. The textures will need to be changed to match a bit better, but I really like the giant exposed root passages some of them have and the twisted nature of them will fit well here.

This first cell could certainly be one of the areas the is slightly more elevated and has more life and coincidentally more rocks as well, but most cells should be pretty open looking with most rocks being the smaller varieties and the tree life being more sparse as well. Every so often there would be clumps like found in the current cell though. We really need to pull off a great swampy area here.

Looking at images of the bayou's of Louisiana might help in showing how to better place things to give it that swamp feel.
Project Coordinator

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 31 Aug 2011, 22:35

scamp@ i did!

samirA@ that place is COMPLETELY different, if i'm doing that i may aswell remake all the trees, and the roots wouldn't be useful anymore as the tree's all grow underwater.
the trees for valenwood were really quite alot different... but if you insist.

this first cell is the lowest area on the map :P just go look how elevated it all gets XD, gonna have to lower it alot.

also.. sparse rocks and trees makes for a empty looking landscape, unless it's underwater.. so i see what you mean..

eh, i'll get around to remaking it all another time :)

dirnae
P:C Modder

Postby dirnae » 31 Aug 2011, 22:59

I really wouldn't use louisiana as a source, it'd be boring for such a large area and boring in general compared to something like the concept Wolli posted up. I far prefer the look there.

If you're worried about the rocks make them smaller. Also, this should be swampy near the water and near argonia but I wouldn't overdo it. These areas wolli has posted up are good inland areas. The woodland in the back of wolli's concept would make a great transition from your temperate jungles too. In all I wouldn't ditch wolli's concept, it looks great for Blackwood (or at least areas, not sure how big Blackwood is but it may need more than one environment).
Last edited by dirnae on 31 Aug 2011, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
*DISCLAIMER: If you find anything I say offensive, disregard it as bad humour. Failure to do so will result in pointing and laughing. You have been warned.*

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 31 Aug 2011, 23:00

going on what Dirnae said. could i just make a 6 cell's (atleast) file, and let you guys run around before i have to start over with SamirA;s new concept?

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 01 Sep 2011, 00:56

Certainly wolli. Make what you want, but expect tweaks to be needed, it is a concept. I can see where Dirnae is coming from and I agree the whole of the place should not be swampy, and the louisiana ref was not saying to use different style trees, merely the spacing and stuff in swampy areas.

As for the trees with the roots and stuff, I really think it would be a cool feature for the region. it's supposed to have mangroves anyway and those are essentially giant mangroves.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 01 Sep 2011, 05:47

Keep in mind that people have been living here for a long time and that any old settlements would definitly be out of the swamp.
If you pay any attention to science news, it was recently discovered that certain dry oasies in the ever glades I think, were actually old refuse piles from people who lived there a long time ago.
In regards to something like Venus Italy, people have been building there for many years and for many years those buildings have been sinking. What people would do(until recently anyway) is simply build new on top of the old and you get these foundations that are going down quite a ways as newer construction happens; exactly like Mournhold I guess.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

SamirA

Postby SamirA » 06 Sep 2011, 02:51

Not really a fan of the scum as is I must say. Swamp scum is generally in large clumps than that. Scum is a good idea, but the small bits here and there might look better as big splotches of it or even areas covering almost all of these small water holes.
Project Coordinator

Tarius
Head of Modelling

Postby Tarius » 06 Sep 2011, 05:10

I agree. That needs work. You should use the bitter coast as an example here, they did it right there.(I have swampish areas near my house) Its usually you have the water surface clear, but underneath filled with dead leaves/plants and murk, or you have the surface covered alge/plants with mabe a few clear patches. Alot of the time, the greenery hangs around the edges of the water.
Tarius: I have now conquered the galaxy twice and am working on a third. Once thats out of me, I will be back to work.
TDF: Which game is that(I assume its a game and not real life)
The Khan: If it was real life, we would know about it. And I dont think he means this Galaxy.
Tarius: Yes, I really lead a secret double life where I am a galactic overlord.

Wollibeebee

Postby Wollibeebee » 06 Sep 2011, 08:47

yeah. that scum needs lots of work, the alpha cut off is so sharp it's scary; looks like someone trimmed all the clumps.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23627856/Concep ... -33-87.jpg

it's based off this scum stuff^ (trying to remember the word.. algy?). but it needs ALOT of work.
anyone more advanced wiling to try doing it? otherwise i may just add some alpha map style fade to the texture, so you can see underneath steal, but it's still covered over, might be cool/work better.

dirnae
P:C Modder

Postby dirnae » 06 Sep 2011, 11:05

Make the algy texture as a tileable plane with the texture just like that on that witcher screenshot, and then change the underwater texture to something similar but darker to the algy, perhaps. Add some current grass meshes just to see how it looks and show it to other members before proceeding further.

Personally I think the witcher 2 concept is a good one, you have good taste. Keep working at it and follow your ideas through.
Last edited by dirnae on 06 Sep 2011, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
*DISCLAIMER: If you find anything I say offensive, disregard it as bad humour. Failure to do so will result in pointing and laughing. You have been warned.*

Next

Return to Blackwoods